autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Want to take better 50/50 shots??

So recently I got a few tips from one of my friend who also shoots Canon. I was shooting a portrait of him at f/1.2 and notice it was missed focused. So he told me put the camera on live view and hit the magnify button then fine tune focusing until what you want is sharp.

This should work with all the newer Canon DSLR, I'm sure Nikon has the option to magnify with live view.

This is one from my last detail. If you got any questions feel free to ask. I'll try my best to answer any questions.

IMG_9156 by slickoooz, on Flickr
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Want to take better 50/50 shots??

Great photo!

I've actually been considering making another camera purchase because my digital is so old. It's a Pentax Optio G somethin', 3.2 megapixel that has never taken good quality photo's. Some were good, but many were extremely blurry from day one and my dad and I never could figure it out. We should have taken it back, but we didn't.

Sam's has a nice Canon elph 100 HS that I've been eyeing for sometime now. The price is finally right at $109, but I'm afraid it's going to be way outdated even before I purchase it. I like that it has 1080 HD.
    I honestly can't spend over $200-$300 and I'd like to keep it below $200 if I could.
    I don't know much at all about cameras, but I'd like to know more. I really need another camera because my son is growing up so fast and we've totally quit using the Pentax out of frustration.

My dad has an old Nikon FG with 2-3 Nikon lenses (not sure which ones), but the body has malfunctioned. I'm not sure if I could use the glass on a new DSLR body or not. I probably could, but changing lenses often might be a pain for what I want it for.

I need a camera to take basic photo's of our family, and it's also important for taking good quality detailing shots. Not pro quality, but sufficient for showing detailing work.

I like the thought of having a similar camera to what Mike Phillips uses, which I believe is above a point and shoot style camera.

What are good options for me? Links please! I'm going to post this up in a seperate thread here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...sure-help.html , so that I don't highjack this thread.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I think it sounds like you need a p&s with manual functions. Canon s95 or the newer s100 is a great and versatile. You get to shoot in MANUAL!!!! Which is great if you ever want to take your photography to the next level. Its a little on the expensive side, around 350. Having manual controls on a compact camera is a godsend when your on trips and for photographing cars. I wish sometimes I didn't have to carry my DSLR with 3 lens and all accessories, it gets heavy and hurts my back.

With a smaller compact camera with manual settings, you can really achieve all different types of shooting style. I say skip the cheaper P&S and save a little and get something better. I'm a firm believer buy once cry once. I have made a couple mistake with my photo gears. I recently found a crazy deal on a used 5dii+50L I couldn't turn down.

And the Canon s95/100 is very popular, if you ever decided to sell it you will get something back. But with those other camera they won't be worth much.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Any tips for the Canon G11?

I know it could do a lot more than the basic way I'm using it...

Great shot BTW
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Pro View Post
    Any tips for the Canon G11?

I know it could do a lot more than the basic way I'm using it...

Great shot BTW
    Thanks!! Did you try shooting a photo with live view and hitting the magnify button so you can get a closer look of what your shooting? Can you manual focus with the G11?
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    I think it sounds like you need a p&s with manual functions. Canon s95 or the newer s100 is a great and versatile. You get to shoot in MANUAL!!!! Which is great if you ever want to take your photography to the next level...
    Any recommendations changed? I edited my post several times. You may have been typing while I was editing.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    Thanks!! Did you try shooting a photo with live view and hitting the magnify button so you can get a closer look of what your shooting? Can you manual focus with the G11?
    I guess I should try that first huh...

Yes it can manual focus.

Thanks for the tip!
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Mike Phillips

That is an amazing shot Gary.

Post Thanks / Like

Superb shot!!

I'll have to see if my Canon D350 has that option and give it a try...

What lens were you using?

The bright light also helps...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photo for sure! I just grabbed a T3 kit from canon, with the 18-55MM lens. I'm definitely still learning about the basics of the photography world. Any pointers on using a basic lens like 18-55 to capture swirls, micro marring, flawless finish, etc? I'm starting the get the hang of the camera, and I'm using all manual settings.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast