autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Serious question, not sure if dumb or not...

I was reading how coatings such as CQuartz adds a layer of protection and are resistant or less likely to scratch/mar. That means the "layer of protection" it leaves behind can be marred/scratched.

I always thought I had "soft paint" since it was so easy to remove swirls/marring with polishes that are rated 1-2 in the 10 scale range.

However, thinking about how coating has resistant mar/scratching layers, is it possible when I apply my waxes/sealants, that the marring/swirling I am seeing is just on the wax/sealant itself rather than my paint? Beause I get a lot of swirls or mar from just using the wrong wash media(CG synthetic washpad) to using the wrong microfiber.

So is there such thing as waxes/sealants leaving behind a layer that can be marred/swirled the same way as coating? Or is the mar/swirl directly on my paint?

P.S, when I use quality MF and wash media (I only used that before I knew better), now that I use higher quality, I notice the swirl/marring has gone down but still doesn't answer my question as to whether the swirl/mar is on my paint or on the waxes/sealant if that is even possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Serious question, not sure if dumb or not...

Its on the paint, the coating are sorta like an extra clear coat. they are alot tougher then selants an waxes but can still be swirled/marred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris.ganucheau View Post
    Its on the paint, the coating are sorta like an extra clear coat. they are alot tougher then selants an waxes but can still be swirled/marred.

That's what I think.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I think what rock012345 was really asking (and if not, then what I would like to ask). If the "Coatings" are like a "sacrificial" layer of clear, that is harder than MOST clear, but can still be scratched / marred, would the same be true for waxes and sealants. To state in another way - is the wax and / or sealant that is put on as a LSP "Scratch-able" to the point where, if scratches/marring is seen, is it in the clear or could it be in the LSP.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO it has to be the clear. Unless your talking about a product like opti-coat in which case you may be able to get a visable scratch in that without hitting the clear...that's all IMVHO...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    So is there such thing as waxes/sealants leaving behind a layer that can be marred/swirled the same way as coating? Or is the mar/swirl directly on my paint?
    The marring/swirling is on the OEM clear coat or on the applied coating. The LSP is too thin to be the only one affected.

Post Thanks / Like

so if I apply a coating (Cquartz) and happen to mar it with a cheap microfiber towel, the marring will be on the coating.

if I apply a coat of wax (Fuzion) and happen to mar it with a cheap microfiber towel, the marring will be on the paint.

Is that correct?

The "reason" is because the coating is a lot thicker than the fuzion wax?

Post Thanks / Like

In a test on UK detailing forum Detailing World, waxes and sealants were found to have a thickness of around 20 nanometers - 1/5000th of a (100 micrometer-thick) human hair. Cquartz, on the other hand, claims a film thickness of around 1 micrometer - 50 times thicker than that of your typical wax or sealant. It'll also be a harder film than your wax/sealant. These factors means that it would be possible for marring to be contained within the film layer of a coating, but very, very unlikely in the case of a wax or sealant (any "marring" that only impacts the wax or sealant layer would probably not be visible, though this is all conjecture on my part).
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    so if I apply a coating (Cquartz) and happen to mar it with a cheap microfiber towel, the marring will be on the coating.

if I apply a coat of wax (Fuzion) and happen to mar it with a cheap microfiber towel, the marring will be on the paint.

Is that correct?

The "reason"
    is because the coating is a lot thicker than the fuzion wax?

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    In a test on UK detailing forum Detailing World, waxes and sealants were found to have a thickness of around 20 nanometers - 1/5000th of a (100 micrometer-thick) human hair. Cquartz, on the other hand, claims a film thickness of around 1 micrometer - 50 times thicker than that of your typical wax or sealant. It'll also be a harder film than your wax/sealant. These factors means that it would be possible for marring to be contained within the film layer of a coating, but very, very unlikely in the case of a wax or sealant (any "marring" that only impacts the wax or sealant layer would probably not be visible, though this is all conjecture on my part).
    First off...

@rock012345...not a dumb question/thread subject, IMHO!

Next...

In calculating cold, clinical mathematical 'numbers' for thicknesses (layers, if you will)
    of CC paint-films, waxes/sealants/Coatings you''ll have to be able
    to measure (for USA conversion-factoring) in:
    Millionths, hundred thousandths, ten thousandths...of an inch...

[And, thusly, can be quite difficult to visualize/put your hands around (at least I think so).]

-Modern CC sprayed in the OEMs' factory paint-kitchens are 'thin' (and OEMs want it even 'thinner'):~ 25-40 microns
    25-40 microns: ~ 1-1.75 mils
    1-1.75 mils: ~ .001-.002 inches...1/1000th-2/1000ths of an inch...
    and depending on the OEM, and their particular paint-engineering-specs:
    "softer>harder", in 'CC-speak'. that is.

-Assumption/Going by umi000's waxes'/sealants'-layer-thickness number of: 20nm...is true, then:

20 nm: ~ .02 microns
    .02 microns: ~ .00078 mils
    .00078 mils: ~ .000007-8 inches...7-8 millionths of an inch...very 'thin'...

(And it's been said/accepted that waxes are usually 'softer' than sealants...
    and have differing temperature-fracture-points/"types of bonding"/'scratch-resistance'.)

-CQuartz claims a SiO2 Coating-film thickness of: .7-1.5 microns.
    .7-1.5 microns: ~ .00003-.000006 inches (3/1000,000-6/1000,000 in)...
    Still quite thin---but probably due to its "ingredients/type-of-bonding"...is considered:
    "thicker(~x50)/harder/more scratch-resistant"...than waxes/sealants.

-Opti-Gard/Coat 2.0 claims a SiC Coating film-thickness of: 1-2 microns
    1-2 microns: ~ .00004-.00008 inches (4/1000,000-8/1000,000 in)...
    Still, also, quite thin---but, again, probably due to its "ingredients/type-of-bonding":
    "thicker(~x100)/harder/more scratch-resistant"...than waxes/sealants.

-There are certain ASTM testing methods for all of these different:
    "Layers that are intended to protect the BC's colors" characteristics...

(Among many): for thickness, hardness, scratch/abrasive-resistance.

(If you go here: ASTM International - Standards Search
    you'll be able to type-in this information, whenever you so desire)

My conclusion would be that Coatings would be more prone to have
    "induced-marring" atop/within said Coating---Not atop/into the CC paint-film layer...

(With the Depth of "induced-marring" into/through this:
    'harder than (waxes/sealants) Coating-layer' taken into account, of course!)

And...More than likely, IMHO...
    Nigh onto impossible not to breach waxes'/sealants': 'Softer, thinner than a Coating's film-layer'...
    Seemingly, then, without much effort (whatever touches (A: M.P. analogy, perhaps?) waxes/sealants) would have the
    tendancy to introduce this "induced-marring" to the CC paint-film.

Also... Scratch-resistant doesn't mean scratch-proof!!

Keep in mind: My figures/way-of-figuring...may be way off-base, though.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 07-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Umi and Bob, that clears things up.

Didn't know waxes were so much thinner than coatings.

I want to buy a coating, but then all my waxes I already bought would be wasted, and I also enjoy putting a coat of wax...would be kind of useless to put wax on the coating as part of the benefit of the coating is the coating's property to keep cleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast