autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Forum Frustration

I would also have to concure with Lauren and her frustration. And its not just about my car's finish. Which is awaiting a multiple hours overhaul after the winter weather! There seem to be 3 groups on this forum:

1. Professional Detailers
    2. People with Time and Money to spare
    3. The Rest

I fall into the last catagory. My car doesnt have a temperature regulated garage...it sleeps outside...in the rain, snow, heat, whatever the Good Mother calls for. It also is driven daily in those same conditions! Seeing a car jacked up on a lift for a detail is a joke. I'm lucky if the driveway is dry and not being used for childs play. I have children and a wife I like to spend time with. I have a job that keeps me busy when the clock has been punched. And yet I still enjoy getting my car to shine better than my neighbor's car. There are only so many hours.

SO those in Catagories 1 and 2 can boast and preen their peacock feathers all they want. Show me your car when it lives like mine. Show me those real conditions without the models and the hype. Show me how to do it better. Show me a video for the average joe who doesn't have a lift or a garage or $500 to drop on tools and products. Stop telling me to buy this product or that one. I've already spent enough! Don't tell me I need a different machine. This forum was the reason I bought the PC 7424 to begin with! And for goodness sake...if someone makes a mistake and it's not up to your standards according to the Detailers Bible... say a prayer for the rest of us and give a word of advice rather than criticize.

My appologies if this violates the rules of the AGO, but I felt a need to air this. I will except the banning if it comes to that. Peace........out.
    WWZS - What Would Zinn Say

Teacher by Day: Speed Dreamer at Night

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of my neighbors don't do anything to their cars except wash them. A nice coat of wax applied by hand would make your car look better then the majority of cars I see on the roads. If you drive your car every day and keep it outside it's almost impossible to keep it perfect. Just a little time and care will keep it looking better then most.

I love cars and and love to keep them looking good. I have been working 7 days a week for over a year now. I love detailing my cars just to clear my head and get away from my other work for a little while. If you are just detailing your own car it should be something you enjoy doing and nothing to get frustrated about. You don't have to spend lots of time and money to keep your car looking good.

I better to get a copy of that detailer's bible just to keep myself on my toes.
    Last edited by Gary Sword; 04-04-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paradog, well I for one don't see anything wrong with venting but to categorize people I don’t know. I just don’t think it's necessary. For example you bring up the lift, you do realize that Toto works there and chooses to work under that environment. My friend I just don’t see an argument there.

Now I agree with you, I'm fortunate that I have an old beater and the other vehicles can sit in the garage, I detail them and maintain them every weekend. Now just because I have additional vehicles does that make me better then you or anyone else, I don't really think so. Just because Gary has a Lambo does that make him better then us? I personally don't think so, I think Gary is a cool person and I enjoy reading what ever he shares. Gary sorry for bringing you into this. Sure he's loaded, but does that mean he's not at our level? That is the reason why I joined this place because I didn't see any levels, people thinking they were better then everyone else.

I'm like you in the detailing, I've never used a PC and ever since I joined this place I've been purchasing products to keep my vehicle clean and looking new. Now every time someone gets stuck or has a question, all members here join in to help out and suggest other products that they have used. Again I stress suggestion and that is all it is.

Well I don't think there is anything wrong with what you posted buddy but some stuff I don't think really applies.

Please don't take what I say the wrong way, just sharing my thoughts not trying to be rude nor trying to stir the post just feed back.

Post Thanks / Like
    it's obvious you are frustrated... but the variety of people on the forum are the reasons we have forums...i have a full time regular job that is more than full time..5 to 6 days a week, up to 12-14 hours a day during the busy season...detailing is my escape from the world...and it makes me an extra buck every now and again...i feel i have a pretty good setup but it is paid for by other peoples' money, detailing even bought my mom her birthday present ...you for got one MAJOR category...hobbyist...I don't have free time...but as a hobbyist I make free time for detailing even if it is in the middle of the night...my roomate thinks its a fetish...hahaha...if you want to categorize people on the forum don't be frustrated with the "other" categories on the forum...just enjoy what category you are in and know that you still probably have a much better looking car than 99% of the general populous..or at least the know how/resources to make it look good...

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree i am a poor college student that has a car that sits in a driveway year round but i purchase my products and detail in my driveway because its a hobby, i enjoy being outside and keeping a clean car. Now i do have a PC and a good selection of product but i bought it cause i enjoy my hobby and thats where me extra money goes. Its really just how u feel and what u want people are just here to learn and teach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im in college as well, I dont have the money to do this stuff eather. But that is where i spend my play money i dont go all out i splurge on the good stuff every now and then.. hey if its what you like you have to spend. I love doing it its like an escape for me it really relaxes me plus I like my car super clean and all ways looking good. I dont go as crazy as some people my car is a DD and i t gets durty but thats half the fun to get out there and wash it again. I dont fult the people that do i envy them I hape that I am that successfull someday to be able to have a nice car and a nice place to keep it but for now its just relaxing and fun and its fun to get nee stuff for your collection. It is fun to surf the forums and look at the nice cars and the drastic turn around and I like talking to all the people that love this as much as I do

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradog
    I would also have to concure with Lauren and her frustration. And its not just about my car's finish. Which is awaiting a multiple hours overhaul after the winter weather! There seem to be 3 groups on this forum:

1. Professional Detailers
    2. People with Time and Money to spare
    3. The Rest

I fall into the last catagory. My car doesnt have a temperature regulated garage...it sleeps outside...in the rain, snow, heat, whatever the Good Mother calls for. It also is driven daily in those same conditions! Seeing a car jacked up on a lift for a detail is a joke. I'm lucky if the driveway is dry and not being used for childs play. I have children and a wife I like to spend time with. I have a job that keeps me busy when the clock has been punched. And yet I still enjoy getting my car to shine better than my neighbor's car. There are only so many hours.

SO those in Catagories 1 and 2 can boast and preen their peacock feathers all they want. Show me your car when it lives like mine. Show me those real conditions without the models and the hype. Show me how to do it better. Show me a video for the average joe who doesn't have a lift or a garage or $500 to drop on tools and products. Stop telling me to buy this product or that one. I've already spent enough! Don't tell me I need a different machine. This forum was the reason I bought the PC 7424 to begin with! And for goodness sake...if someone makes a mistake and it's not up to your standards according to the Detailers Bible... say a prayer for the rest of us and give a word of advice rather than criticize.

My appologies if this violates the rules of the AGO, but I felt a need to air this. I will except the banning if it comes to that. Peace........out.
    I fall in the 1st group. But then again I am in all 3 groups. My vehicle is a 24/7 outside daily driver. It might get washed ever 3 weeks. Nobody is telling you to buy anything, just because a new product comes out. Doesn't mean you need to buy it. Do your research on products, then determine what you should buy. Were do you live, if you are close I will glady help you, with your car. Or anybody at that,if you are close I gladly will help anybody. That is how I learned, people were willing to show me, so I return the time to help too.
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just like Highenddetail says everyone will help thats what i love about this place I have never meet nicer people... No joke.... I just do my resurch and only get the tried and true products that maybe not everyone is useing atm there on to new stuff but if you have a question about it everyone can help you and give you tricks and tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah and here is my rant:
    please do not get angry, annoyed, or irritated with me, or dislike me,or think i am a b^#@ch, or expect me to shut up in a free country because I dont think the forum is a place to show wendy's nearly nude nether regions nor her bare breast implants. You are men and of course you like it - duh! But not here. It just is out of place. yet I feel I have to watch my words at best, when the men do not. No, I don't want naked men!!! I want to learn how to make my cars look better, and i spend a lot more here than $500 - lol!! You can say don't look, but like then I could not have even looked at the detail fest photos, and I wanted to go. And i loved the way the white vette was wrapped by Ed for traveling - way better than painter' s tape. Would you guys want to read posts if up came a guy wearing a string by my car? I think not, and i would hear it. I already know I have pissed off many a forum member here and mods as well, and meybe more and i have watched it- meaning my mouth. Dontdislike me for it. I condone your liking it, and I can see how it brought Max $$$ - a good idea at detail fest - but it is definitely testosterone charged here, and I like all you guys and am not a prude - I joke dirty and all for a laugh, but can't win.
    done.
    Yes, i am pms.
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HighEndDetail
    I fall in the 1st group. But then again I am in all 3 groups. My vehicle is a 24/7 outside daily driver. It might get washed ever 3 weeks. Nobody is telling you to buy anything, just because a new product comes out. Doesn't mean you need to buy it. Do your research on products, then determine what you should buy. Were do you live, if you are close I will glady help you, with your car. Or anybody at that,if you are close I gladly will help anybody. That is how I learned, people were willing to show me, so I return the time to help too.
    ooo...we should have an online geographical map of forum members...big ole map of the globe and little pin points we can mouse over to see who is where? i am a member of a couple 350z forums and its fun to meet up with other members...we have detail days together that I usually head up and blow people away showing them that"detailing>wash and wax"....its fun teaching them how to remove swirls and give em go's at the pc on their car...some are ballsy and try out the rotary...good thing i am handy with touch up paint...we've had a couple of accidents..... Meghan is the map thing something you can make happen? i think it would be fun....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast