autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Us vs the general public

I took my 96 SVT Cobra to a show yesterday. It's black. As soon as I pull it in the car wrangler ask me how I've kept it scratch free for this long. Many people commented on how nice it is for a 16 year old car. I on the other hand see every swirl mark, scratch, and watermark on it. It unfortunately has plenty. That will be fixed once I get all my AG tools working on it. I told the wrangler that the scratches are there when you look closer. My wife tells me to just say thank you, and hold my tongue.

Have you experienced similar reactions from people when you know the real story.

One other thing a friend and longtime Mustang owner told me next time I'm headed to a show and don't have time to really correct it use Turtle Wax Black detailing spray. He's an experienced detailer having run his own shop for several years. He told me he tried it on his Wife's Black Taurus SHO and was amazed how many sins it hid in between washes.

Any experience with it? And yes I know that on this forum Turtle Wax gets about as much respect as Rodney Dangerfield. Thanks, Spiney
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Us vs the general public

My wife basically falls into the "general public" category. I start talking about buffer holograms and swirl marks and her eyes start to glaze over. She was perfectly happy driving her car through the car wash a couple times a year before she met me. Man... spouses of detailers don't realize how good they have it.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I think my girlfriend might be the worst. I talk about using rain-x on her windows because she was amazed by how the water beads up on my windows and rain-x is allot easier to use than sealants/wax/w.e and she drifted off into space

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is a pip..... she says, "It is just a car" so often my eyes glaze-over. She will never let go of her DD, but many times she will take my VW as she does her errands because, "my car gets better gas mileage". LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Most mortals do not have the eye, appreciation, or appetite for our obsession.

We fall into a very selective bucket. Our buckets are clean to the nth degree with not a single speck of dirt and debris to be found. These buckets are dried after use and are stored with covers firmly in place so that airborne dirt and dust cannot settle in them between use......

When you consider the average person is very satisfied taking their car through an automatic car wash then having a couple of guys dry it with bath towels it sort of puts things into perspective doesn't it?

Don't worry Dave, we understand......

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I have had one person compliment me on my cars paint. The person seemed amazed. Now the paint wasn't perfect but it still looked good. I told him I do detailing on the side gave him my number haven't got a call. But the fact that some people don't care for such nice vehicles is disappointing.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a toy to take to cruize nights anymore but I still go the weekly car cruizes and here's what I notice now that I'm a member of this cult......urrrr, forum:

ALL THE MUSCLE CARS WITH SWIRLS ON THEM!!!

These are cars that sit in the garage most of the time and a chunk of them are owned by guys whom are retired too, what's the exuse! I can't believe that 8 out of 10 cars are swirled to some degree, some are REAL, REAL bad too! My g/f's Mazda 6 has waaaaaay fewer swirls than 80% of the "show cars" at these cruizes and it needs some attention from yours truely, just gotta find the time on the weekend and less humid weather too.

BTW, I would just say thank you when someone compliments you on your car too.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like the sad reality is that most of the general public simply doesn't care.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I was at a event Saturday that had a little car show going on along with it. Mostly classics and muscle cars and some custom roadsters, but very few of them had anything close to swirl free paint.

Some looked awful, especially around the front fenders. I would have liked to stay and see who won.
    -Brent

Post Thanks / Like

The general public doesn't know you can remove small scratches in paint .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast