autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Is It A Paint Problem

I posted this thread to a different site, but thought I would put it up front for some assistance (thanx to joe.p for his input). I have two cars with metallic/pearl paint and noticed that after detailing that there appears to be a subtle ripple in the paint surface. It feels smooth, but reflections appear fuzzy and I can't match the look many of the members have on their vehicles after detailing (not that I could anyway since I'm still an amateur at this). But I was wondering if it's the nature of the metallic paint or a bad paint job. And, if there is any detailing procedure that would eliminate this and give me a smooth clear reflection. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this similar to what you are talking about?

If it is, it is called orange peal. There are ways to reduce it or eliminate it, but it requires wetsanding and compunding. Sometimes, you can't eliminate it without taking off to much clear. But basically, it is a problem with the paint. It is cause by the way the paint flows on the panel while it is drying due to how thick or thin the paint was mixed and sprayed.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately that's the way most cars look from the factory. They are more concerned with speed than qualty paint finish. I think I heard it's typically because they bake it too quick or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to GM paint quality. It is called "orange peel". 99% of the cars I have seen from GM has this, mine and everyother GTO I have seen have it. The only real cure besdies a complete repaint is wet sanding.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic GTO-M6
    Head/Cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq
    1/4--12.1 @ 118mph, 1.7 60'

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from the dealers. Explained the problem, but got a kinda dumb look and a referral to the mgr who conveniently was out for the day. Tried to set up a mtg with the regional mfg rep. Will see if I succeed. While there, I looked at several new cars and they all had the same look to one degree or another. I think I'm in trouble since I wouldn't try too much pro stuff like wet sanding, etc. I appreciate the feedback though.

sixty7mustang22; you're spot on (but your surface looks great to me!
    Grimm; thnx for the response and I agree. Will also be a little PO'd if the mfg says "too bad"
    greg'sgoat; the car is an '07 Toyota Avalon Ltd. I also have a Chrys. T&C with the same condition. I guess we're all in this together, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    my paint guy repainted my car after my accident and it had very severe OP, he took it back and repainted/cleared. its still not perfect, but its the best its going to get.

good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greg'sgoat
    Welcome to GM paint quality. It is called "orange peel". 99% of the cars I have seen from GM has this, mine and everyother GTO I have seen have it. The only real cure besdies a complete repaint is wet sanding.
    You are right on the orange peel look. What is the 1% from GM, with no OP from factory
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HighEndDetail
    You are right on the orange peel look. What is the 1% from GM, with no OP from factory
    Hahaha, well the 1% is the car that got passed through the paint booth while somone was in a good mood.

To the OP, I assumed you were talking about the C5 in your avatar, I am sure it has a little too. But yes, most "assembly line" vehicals will have it.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic GTO-M6
    Head/Cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq
    1/4--12.1 @ 118mph, 1.7 60'

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The C5's my baby and no, I have not noticed this problem with it. I think I would have refused the car if it came that way. Perhaps if I were more mindful and scrutinizing I should have refused acceptance of the Avalon. Oh well, my wife's happy as a clam with the car and after paying a premium for the blizzard pearl, what can I say????
    Quote Originally Posted by greg'sgoat
    Hahaha, well the 1% is the car that got passed through the paint booth while somone was in a good mood.

To the OP, I assumed you were talking about the C5 in your avatar, I am sure it has a little too. But yes, most "assembly line" vehicals will have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have learned to love my orange peel.
    lol
    don't know what else to do about it!
    ~Lulu~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast