autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I didn't always detail cars...

Mike,
    When did you work for Meguiar's before? What did you do then?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see the title of this thread I always read is as "I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I......." lol

Mike, the most interesting man in the world!
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Me aswell mike, i logged trees for 4 than became a line clearance arborist doing tranny lines all over the country! An auto accident took me out of ever returning to my true passion, But being a business owner and doin cars suits me fine now.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff Mike! It's amazing where life takes us. Would you have thought 15 years ago that you'd be doing this? Was it always a passion that finally became a profession?
    John
    Mean people suck

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cmichael258 View Post

Yeah...the second reason kinda makes sense.

Interesting work history Mike.
    Didn't lose my leg at the Mill, I was the first guy in their history that they hired that had already been missing my leg. Most people left the mill missing something, no one was ever brought in missing something... it was a first. I was watched by all the Foremans more carefully than any other person ever hired because they wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be a safety issue... and I demonstrated I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    so finish at the mill run out to foster lake and have a few brews right? which willamette mill?
    The one next to Wa Chang on the I-5 corridor. I worked at Wa Chang to during summers as student help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Did the oil drilling job cause the disability? Maybe I shouldn't ask but just curious.
    It's okay to ask but "no" I was fully able bodied back then, in 1986 I was accidentally ran over by my Sanger Drag Boat, the prop got my leg and there was to much destruction to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Mike had a drag racing boat accident; he's talked about it here before.
    That's right Mike, someone asked me about it and I answered them on page 2 of this thread,

OK Mike.... I've got to ask....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Mike,
    When did you work for Meguiar's before? What did you do then?
    From 1988 to 1990, my title was, Outside Sales Rep/Trainer for Oregon, Washington and Idaho. I was horrible as the sales side, calling on PA and VP's and selling pallets of products. I excelled at calling on body shops, dealerships, and detail shops and showing guys how to wetsand, cut and buff paint.

The effect I had in that territory was instead of front-loading warehouses with tons of product, I pulled it through end-users. I worked fast and hard and got to a point where my reputation preceded me. I would drive into any town, locate the PBE stores and the owner would have his best sales guy reserved to work with me in their territory for as many days as they could have me. The results? Increased sales.

I also did clinics and demos for clubs and at the majority of all the major cars shows. Suffice to say... I met a lot people and worked on a LOT of cars... I wore short this entire time and it actually helped me to get in the door... so to speak...

Lots of stories from those days...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the personal update. Interesting!

No wonder you're liked and respected all over, you earned it.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the personal touch. I only spoke with you once on the phone but I feel like you are a really close friend.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

Mike,

When did you work for Meguiar's before?

What did you do then?

See what I wrote here,

My first car detailing how-to book from 1998 - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdb917 View Post
    OMGoodness!! Oil Field Trash is what we were called but you also garnered the name of CRASH .

BTW: The pics show what is referred to as "tripping" pipe (i.e. pulling drilling pipe out of the well) and a good crew can do that so fast it is mind boggling.

I too worked in the fields for a couple of years primarily in Mississippi. Eventually I earned an Engineering degree and moved to a desk job in Denver but at least it was still in the oil/gas field of work.

Truly one of the toughest jobs out there and certainly one of the most dangerous. There is NOTHING small on a rig other than the people. One rig I worked on could stack 3 x 40' sticks (aka pipe) which were connected to one another. That's going from the floor/deck up. 120' and you are not at the top of the rig and below the rig floor are things like BOP (blow-out preventers/stacks/etc.) which puts the floor 20-50' off the ground. We were driling for a formation 16,000' down at the time. Nowadays that is almost laughable but in those days that was a long ways down. Amazing structures when you see them up close and personal like.

I knew there was something else I liked about your Mike
    Nice to see I’m not the only Oil and Gas desk jockey in Denver. BTW I know it has been rough here the last few months, we are hiring for a completions manager and a production engineer both in our Denver office. If you or anyone you know is looking send me a pm.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    Nice to see I’m not the only Oil and Gas desk jockey in Denver. BTW I know it has been rough here the last few months, we are hiring for a completions manager and a production engineer both in our Denver office. If you or anyone you know is looking send me a pm.
    You’re not alone for sure. I’m on the other side of fence working for service company as a directional coordinator off of the houston office. It’s getting really bad for oilfield folks like myself...

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

11. Likes Coopers ST liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123