autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need new Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Need new Tires

I need new tires on my 2003 Jaguar S-Type. I currently have Michelin Pilot HKMXM4 235/50-17. The car has 53K and I purchased it in 2005 with 44K. So, I don't know if these are the original tires or not. The model of tire is one of the models that did come on the car so it could be the original model.

I have no complaints with the current tire. Since I bought it used, I can't comment on the tire's longevity.

Any recommendations for replacements? I can go with the same tires (about $220 per tire!) or some other options are:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ($210 ea)
    Michelin Pilot Sport Ps2 ($204 ea)
    Pirelli P-Zeo System ($233 ea)

All are expensive so performance, sound (quiet) and longevity are my criteria.

I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Any suggestions appreciated!
    Last edited by Reddwarf; 03-10-2007 at 02:04 PM.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I managed 2 districts of auto repair/tire shops for a major retailer 22 stores in all. I've literally sold hundreds of thousands of tires in my stores. I've seen every manufacturer's defect and road hazard you can imagine. You'll find those with different opinions but in mine it's tough to beat Michelin for an all around tire. There are others that perhaps do one thing or another better (i.e. wet traction, dry traction, mileage warranty, all season ability) but all things being equal I buy Michelin. I trust them. If it's a truck I like BFG's A/T also. Depending upon your intended use the A/S might be the best value. That is of course assuming you don't have the need for a snow tire. If you have that need nothing beats a Bridgestone Blizzak.
    Last edited by GearHead_1; 03-10-2007 at 02:29 PM.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for snow tires in Dallas! Thanks for the advice GearHead_1!

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Michellin tires, but have NEVER gotten anywhere near the mileage rating out of them. They are literally the softest tires on the road. If you are looking for a well rounded tire that wont break the bank consider Toyo's or Nitto's.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    PS2's are the best tires you can buy. They last around 15k miles. They are really high-performance tires, and I'm not sure if this is what your looking for. My friend has a very nice tuned up 450HP Dodge SRT-4 and he's run through 2 sets (4 tires) since he bought it in '03.
    Last edited by nick19; 03-10-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    20 year olds rule!

"For each step-back, there is an equally or greater come-back..."

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...must-read.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-bluuuur.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I pput Bridgestone RE750 on my wifes car and they are super smooth going down the road.

I have Blizzaks for the winter and can put the "Crome Horn" on most of the 4x4's in the snow and ice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I love Michellin tires, but have NEVER gotten anywhere near the mileage rating out of them. They are literally the softest tires on the road. If you are looking for a well rounded tire that wont break the bank consider Toyo's or Nitto's.

Driving a Vette to its potential will finish early on just about any tire you put on it. Not sure how you're melting them but as someone who has given away far too many mileage warranty adjustment dollars the above statement just isn't the case as I've seen it. Of course this varies greatly from model line to model line and as a rule the higher the speed rating the softer the compound. Nitto's are a very soft compoud when compared to the others listed. Toyo's about the same as Michelin and a good product. I've watched many sets of T speed rated Michelin's go 80,000 miles plus. They used to offer a 100,000 mile warranty on one particular set of T rated Michelins. Of course they want to see you back so they deliver about 80 or 90% of stated warranty just waiting for the remaining portion to be applied to the new set. This warranty had been changed to an 80,000 mile warranty last time I checked. Most tires when driven under normal circumstances will come close to their stated warranty. If they don't the manufacturer is giving you money back towards the next set. Many of the Z rated tires don't carry mileage warranties. Of course your results may vary and apparently it has.

When it comes to a persons worth, money is a lousy way to keep score.
    - GH

Post Thanks / Like
    I only run Z-rated tires .... Vettes and Hi-po cars. Worst run to date/ nice ride while it lasted for like 4 months, Michilin XGT-Z (original Viper tire) = 6000 miles on back of my TransAm. And yes, I am hard on tires, but I got 10000 out of the run-craps Supercar Tires this past year .....

And worst tire would go to Falken .... hard as crap, and they squealed like fresh meat at the local prison, the cops would come from miles !!!!!
    Last edited by ScottB; 03-10-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Mich Pilot Sports A/S are probably the BEST all season tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yokohama advan is my choice
    EVOIX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast