autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crunch

Post Thanks / Like

Crunch

My car was parked and my boss backed into it with his truck. He was going less than 5mph but his receiver hitch did some damage to my grill. Luckily, there was no ball in the hitch so it only hit the bumper, and if the receiver wouldn't have been there I think the trucks bumper would have gone into my hood.

Not the greatest picture, but it gets the point across.
    Obviously I wasn't happy, as this is my first new car (9-2011) and was still swirl free, but these things happen.

I haven't gotten an estimate yet but I believe the front fascia and energy absorber will need to be replaced at a minimum. I've never had repairs like this done before, and was looking for some advice on whether to take it to the dealership or to a professional body shop. Cost is a non-issue as I want the job done right. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crunch

Ask for a raise.

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, (alko) Got rear-ended earlier in the month and there's a lot of good info in those threads. You can review them here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...orst-fear.html, here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...body-shop.html
    and here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...not-blend.html

Post Thanks / Like

I am not against dealerships performing work but I tend to go to garages and auto body shops first. The benefits usually outweigh the risks and in general the good ones will work with you on price and duration if you are a repeat customer. Local town-speak and word-of-mouth usually lets the very good shops be known. I have yet to find a flexible dealership in this way unless their sales department gets involved. Some dealerships outsource work to local auto body shops anyway depending on the type of repair.

There is a local body shop in my area that has helped my wife several times as she has been hit by others going 5-10 mph several times in the last 5-8 years. He is about 1/2 mile from my house, very respectful, discounts if payment is in cash, most of the time completes the work on the same day and best of all we never think he is screwing us. You cannot beat that type of service and support when the only thing on your mind is erasing the damage and getting the vehicle back in your driveway.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another picture

I took it in to get an estimate this morning at the dealer. Came back at $1200 if they repair the front fender, and $1700 if they replace. They want to repair the fender rather than replace to keep the paint better matched. I'm worried the spider cracks may get worse or appear again if they repair and paint over. I did tell them that I was going to be very particular and wouldn't be happy with any swirls or blemishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see this man. Did your boss offer to pay for anything?

The grill is $76.03
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu FRONT BUMPER & GRILLE Grille & components Lower grille GM Parts
    The Bumper is $313.22 unpainted.
    2010 Chevrolet Malibu FRONT BUMPER & GRILLE Bumper & components Bumper cover GM Parts
    To paint a bumper and have it matched by a reputable body shop will run you no more then $500. I got my bumper done and their were no swirls in the paint at all and it matched pretty well.

Your looking at close to $1000 bucks including shipping for the bumper and grill.

Good Luck with everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew...man oh man....I just got a flash back. :-(

First of...I'm really sorry this happened to you. This really sucks! When I first saw the pic I was like whew...he didn't hit the bumper. I took a closer look and could see the cracks in the bumper. IMO they're going to get worse as the weather gets warmer and warmer and you won't see it until then. Painting over it, IMO will not fix the problem, but only hide it. If I were you i'd really thinking about this one.

I rememeber, a long time ago, I lightly rear ended someone a long time ago. There was no visible so we went on our separate ways. Well that was in the winter time...in the summer time I could see the surface cracks in the bumper and it just spread and spread.

On the other hand, its a very minor impact, so I don't think there was any compromise in the structual integrity. Research what goes into repairing the bumper. If it were me...I say replace the bumper cover!

Thanks for posting the links Rick...I was getting ready to do that until I saw you already posted!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    Thanks for posting the links Rick...I was getting ready to do that until I saw you already posted!
    Couldn't just leave the OP hanging when I knew full well the wealth of information chronicled in your threads. In hindsight my little joke couldn't possibly have made the OP feel any better. Hopefully reading through the process you went through will give the OP some ideas.

To the OP, the cost estimates you posted make sense to me. What you want to find out: Does the dealer do the body work themselves, and if so are they good at it? If they are outsourcing the work, are those guys good? So, nothing more than common sense there. A bad operation can take the same money just as easily as a good operation. So, do your homework to determine if you're going to get your moneys worth with the dealer. Remember, if the place you are considering isn't capable of the best work, throwing more money at them isn't going to suddenly transform them into master craftsmen of the trade. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Runnings View Post
    Here is another picture

I took it in to get an estimate this morning at the dealer. Came back at $1200 if they repair the front fender, and $1700 if they replace. They want to repair the fender rather than replace to keep the paint better matched. I'm worried the spider cracks may get worse or appear again if they repair and paint over. I did tell them that I was going to be very particular and wouldn't be happy with any swirls or blemishes.
    Why do they want to replace the fender?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he meant bumper. I was thinking the same thing at first ?!? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast