autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Security/Web cameras

Just figured out this AM that some %)#^@ had stolen some items from my old storage building. Second time in 14 months so I guess I need to kick myself in the a** for not doing something sooner. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with setting up a small (2-3) ip security camera system that includes both inside and outside coverage? I've been on Amazon and a few other sites but would like some "real life users" to provide some info. Looks like Foscam, Video Secu, and Lorex are the lower cost options.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Security/Web cameras

BJ's has a set of 4 cameras + 500 GB Harddrive for $275.00. SVAT is the brand name. My dad bought them and learned how to install it himself on our house. I would definitely look into this.

Post Thanks / Like

BJ's, costco, sams club all have internet cameras that you can view from your iphone/android

Post Thanks / Like

X10 Ultimate 4-Camera System - NOW ONLY $279.99#

Some models can be viewed from a smart phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these: Amazon.com: Panasonic BL-C140A Outdoor MPEG-4 Network Camera (Silver): Camera & Photo

and it works pretty well. I bought it to keep track of some wildlife around the house, and it fit the bill since it was weatherproof and PoE (power over ethernet). They have some more advanced models that allow you to pan and zoom as well.

This camera allows you to set up triggers and actions, so it can fire off an email with pictures when movement occurs in a specified area / during a set time period. Really have not had any issues with the camera and it works pretty well.

Resolution on this one is pretty low, but for my purposes it worked out really well, and they sell ones that have higher MP sensors.

It works just fine on the iPhone for viewing live as well.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing some reasearch trying to find a 6 to 8 camera system for my house. The easiest system I found so far is the samsung as the cameras hook up to the dvr via cat5 cables but the system has mix reviews. I also found the night owl H.264 this system looks ok and has decent reviews.
    "The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Foscam FI8918W in both my shop and my house and they work exceptionally well. You can view them from a smartphone and also set up an alarm mode to send pictures to your email address when motion is detected.

You can get them on ebay for as cheap as $160 for two of them.

Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I've been doing some reasearch trying to find a 6 to 8 camera system for my house. The easiest system I found so far is the samsung as the cameras hook up to the dvr via cat5 cables but the system has mix reviews. I also found the night owl H.264 this system looks ok and has decent reviews.
    Check out the QNAP storage devices, they can do some pretty neat things with the IP cameras. I have (a few) of the NAS devices and they are some of my best tech investments ever.

QNAP Systems, Inc. ( Products - Surveillance ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildjyoung View Post
    I have a Foscam FI8918W in both my shop and my house and they work exceptionally well. You can view them from a smartphone and also set up an alarm mode to send pictures to your email address when motion is detected.

You can get them on ebay for as cheap as $160 for two of them.

Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera
    I had looked at these and the outdoor cameras as well (8905's). Just to be clear on how these operate (for an outside one primarily) I need power and an adequate wireless signal, right? Do I have to have PC access for these to record any activity or is that not something the 8918's do? After spending some time at Amazon and the Foscam site I still wasn't completely clear on what all the cameras are capable of.

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. You simply need a power source (outlet) and a wireless signal.

These cameras do not have on-board storage. However, they send 15 seconds of images to your email for every motion in detects. Additionally, you can log into the camera from your phone and watch the video. If you see something interesting you can record the video directly to your phone or computer memory.

They are not perfect but for the price they are very good. I have had mine for well over a year with no issues. I have caught many things on these cameras, some that I never would have imagined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast