autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiper Chatter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiper Chatter

Hi, I'm new here and thought I'd ask for advice with this problem I'm having since a lot of folks here deal with cleaning glass, etc. regularly. Here's the issue:
    1990 Toyota Camry V6 LE Sedan
    The windshield wipers chatter no matter what I try to do to correct the problem. I've tried different brands of replacement brackets/wipers and nothing has cured it for longer than a few wipes. I finally returned to the original stock brackets/blades. It's more than annoying; in a moderate rain it becomes dangerous, since the blades don't fully wipe off the glass with each pass. Do I need to look at replacing the linkage? It's over $100 per linkage from Toyota. So I wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. Oh, and I've tried Rain-X. And I'm on my 3rd windshield (rocks from the highway trucks) and it's been like this since I got the car, with original Toyota glass (which is why I began swapping blades, etc in the first place).
    I like to keep my car clean and neat and this is like a slap in the face each time I try to use them, hehe.
    TIA
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found nothing but trouble using Rain-X and other window protectants. I find a good cleaning with a light glass polish is all thats needed to keep glass clean and beading. Because of Florida's UV and heat, wipers need replacement yearly. I stick with OEM as they make the least amount of noise, although had a set of PIAA for a year without issue.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    let me suggest the bosche icons, they have a small wind spoiler to keep them down firmly on the glass. likewise, made of a silicon, replacement will be much longer than with other brands of rubber blades. they are a littel pricey, but in the end they pay for themselves. also, i found that keeping a good coat of rainx keeps teh glass slick and the blades run smoother over it then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTB

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6
    2000 Acura TL -- White Diamond Pearl
    1999 Honda CBR600 F4 - Midnight Black Pearl
    1996 Nissan Maxima -- Pebble Beige (RIP)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the icons and am approaching a year on the same blades. . . they work perfectly and have shown no signs of degrading. . . and i use Prestone bug wash regularly and my car is hardly garage kept in this Florida sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Killr, I don't care for Rainx. I have used AIO on the windshield and it works great! I've not tried the 303 wiper treatment, but I have a sample that I plan on trying.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with above, I hated the rain-x, at night time it caused my exterior glass to start getting foggy/hazy in a rain, ton of people post that same problem. Never use it again, not fun driving up to the lake house in the emiddle of nowhere with no street lights and all I can see is a blur basically. Happened on our other vehicles as well, minute I got AIO stripped that crap off lol.

I polish with AIO and the glass will bead and bead for months, don't even need my wipers on in the rain, and dirt and anything else washes off easily. And my glass doesn't get foggy now and wipers don't chatter.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    your exterior glass get foggy? i dont see how RainX can have this effect...

"If you don't stand behind our troops, then why don't you stand in front of them"

2003 Yamaha R6

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the great advice! I'll try the Bosch replacements and maybe the AIO as well. I really hope this fixes it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bambo2888
    your exterior glass get foggy? i dont see how RainX can have this effect...
    Mine did, and ton of others posted the same problem on other forums. Only happened when it started raining and was kinda humid out, not really foggy, but the wipers would leave streaks that stayed after wiping etc. My rear window wiper did the same thing, and all our other vehicles as well.

Used AIO and never had that happen again, and no chattering.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, thats really weird. im sorry yall didnt get to experience the best of RainX, lol.

2003 Yamaha R6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast