autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any citizens band (CB) radio operators here?

Wow..what a trip. This was the last subject I would have expected to come up on AG. Pretty cool though. In my early teens I was into CB. I still have the Cobra (not microfiber) 148GTL I received as a graduation present from High School. My homeroom teacher saw the 8 foot antenna on my car and introduced me to ham radio. Been into that ever since although was inactive for awhile. Cool thread. My handle was the Dasher. My first car was a 1974 VW Dasher. You don't see many of those anymore unless you are in a taxi in the middle east...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GTPpilot View Post
    Wow..what a trip. This was the last subject I would have expected to come up on AG. Pretty cool though. In my early teens I was into CB. I still have the Cobra (not microfiber) 148GTL I received as a graduation present from High School. My homeroom teacher saw the 8 foot antenna on my car and introduced me to ham radio. Been into that ever since although was inactive for awhile. Cool thread. My handle was the Dasher. My first car was a 1974 VW Dasher. You don't see many of those anymore unless you are in a taxi in the middle east...lol.

lol @ middle east taxis

I too sported the 8' whip antenna
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying a few radios over the past week. I pretty much got burned on a weaky little mobile that was touted as a bigger radio than it actually is. I settled on an old Uniden Washington base station radio that I payed $40 dollars for. A can of electrical cleaner and some experimental cleaning I got it talking loud and proud through my first home made 1/2 wave dipole wire antenna. With lots of research on radio wave and antenna theory and antenna basics I got my antenna built and it's working as efficient as any factory manufactured antenna could be. Talking about 20 to 25 miles with it and getting some skip from PA to clean down to the Florida Everglades.

I think I have opened up a new can of worms here concerning obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

Modulating on a cobra 29 ltd classic , barefoot, peaked and ,tuned., rk56mike. Also dual wilson 2000 for ears. Been using this or similar set up since 1985. Tried and true. Also have a galaxy dx 59 that i bought at t/s a few years ago that I carry as backup.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Modulating on a cobra 29 ltd classic , barefoot, peaked and ,tuned., rk56mike. Also dual wilson 2000 for ears. Been using this or similar set up since 1985. Tried and true. Also have a galaxy dx 59 that i bought at t/s a few years ago that I carry as backup.
    I've been learning a bit about CB radios and antennas from my good friend who goes by the handle "Fat Man on the Hill" You being in Metro DC, I'm certain if you spend any time on channel 26 you'll hear him very loudly in your area though I hear him talking skip to all areas of the country and further. With the antenna restrictions I have here where I live, I don't believe this CB thing will be much of an obsession for me as it's already wearing thin.

It's kind of fun to sandbag when the DX rolls in but when you can't "get out" or "get down" how fun can it really be. I may gear up my mobile detailing rig with a nice CB, amp and antenna in the future.

Thanks for the reply. TD

Post Thanks / Like

I hang around Sesame Street more often than not. Double Harley and the Jack Daniel also. Mostly for nostalgia. There are so many big radios up here It's ridiculous.

There are so many hands just sitting back reading the mail but when you step on their feet- you'll know about it.

Not a bad idea modulating from your rig , great conversation starter, especially with the older generation.

Bad thing about having so many base units in the area- they block alot of the out of area hands out. BIG RADIOS WALKING TALL. Sometimes its like a zoo with all the rambos running wild and overmodulating.

On a side note: hows the repo thing coming along?
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so now I have a question. Are CB's on the same bands as those handheld walkie talkie things that people use on car trips where you have the different selectable channels to talk on?

Post Thanks / Like

yes and no. The 40 channel radio of the op is either 120 or 240 channels. Most handhelds fall somewhere in that range.
    VT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    yes and no. The 40 channel radio of the op is either 120 or 240 channels. Most handhelds fall somewhere in that range.
    All CB channels are on 27 MHZ frequency. When you look at the walkie talkies it should tell you the frequency. I think they are also 27 MHZ.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

To me they are a tool of the job and a fun toy to play with. I too enjoy a good skip even if I don't make contact just the thought of talking wireless coast to coast on 14 watts piques my interests.
    VT

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast