autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A Pretty Good Day

In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge, I had a coworker over to show some basic polishing techniques and some other detailing skills. He is a very enthusiastic learner (some of you may have known him as "grungy" on the old TID forum) with an older PC, 6" (only!) pads and an enormous bus of a vehicle (metallic white '07 Ford Expedition) - his wife's DD. The paint was generally in good condition for being outside 24/7 but had lost some luster & had some light swirling/RIDS (was exceptionally hard, too - starting to wonder if it is a Texas thing).

So, spent the day showing him how I rinseless wash, the joys of M105 on Megs MF pads on a GG6 & on Opt 3" MF on a PCXP, cleaning on the fly, where & when to tape, plastic rejuvenation, etc. Got the hood and passenger side done. He was pleased with the results he achieved.

I received no monetary compensation but still found it rewarding in its own way. Like I said - a pretty good day.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Pretty Good Day

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge, I had a coworker over to show some basic polishing techniques and some other detailing skills. He is a very enthusiastic learner (some of you may have known him as "grungy" on the old TID forum) with an older PC, 6" (only!) pads and an enormous bus of a vehicle (metallic white '07 Ford Expedition) - his wife's DD. The paint was generally in good condition for being outside 24/7 but had lost some luster & had some light swirling/RIDS (was exceptionally hard, too - starting to wonder if it is a Texas thing).

So, spent the day showing him how I rinseless wash, the joys of M105 on Megs MF pads on a GG6 & on Opt 3" MF on a PCXP, cleaning on the fly, where & when to tape, plastic rejuvenation, etc. Got the hood and passenger side done. He was pleased with the results he achieved.

I received no monetary compensation but still found it rewarding in its own way. Like I said - a pretty good day.
    I know Grungy. Tell him Flash and Trouble wish him a Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you as well
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Well, grungy came back yesterday with his DD (Silver 2001 Mercury Sable - very hard paint again). Considering how nice he kept his wife's Expedition, the Sable was pretty rough. Hadn't been washed in a while, no wax, oxidation, etc. Let him loose with the Griot's GG6 + Megs MF + M105.

After a while, I got bored with watching & offering helpful advice so pulled out my Metabo rotary & Optimum MF Polishing Pads. I normally do not do correction with a rotary any more because, with MF pads and M105 on my DAs, I really don't have to (that combo is far safer). But, I don't normally get beaters whose owners are encouraging me to experiment, wanted more practice with my rotary and wanted to try MF pads on a rotary. That combo really worked well. With M105, it cut fast (2 passes @ 900, 2 @ 1100, 2 @ 1300, 2 @ 1100, 2 @ 900 - 1 section pass!) cleaned up 90% of the (correctable) defects & oxidation and finished hologram free & LSP ready! (I did follow up with Hitachi rotary + Black Pad + M205 as to not give grungy any wrong ideas about rotary usage.)

Flush with success, I actually started working. Pulled out my PC + Opti MF pads + Optimum Compound. I've had the Compound for a while but hadn't used it yet and, as I said, was being encouraged to experiment. I'm glad I did - I love this stuff. Doesn't quite have the cut of M105 but dusts less, has a longer working time, cleans up much easier and finishes at least as well (on this paint).

Finished off with BlackFire.

As I wasn't planning on actually working on this car, I didn't start off with Before pics. Here are a couple, though:

50/50 (left corrected)

Afters

Need to work on my sun shot techniques. They don't turn out like I want. Suggestions welcome.

BTW - grungy says hello back, Flash and your trusty dog, Trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really nice!

Tell grungy Trouble sends her regards
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Flash and Trouble.. finally got an account over here. Many thanks to Mike L. for his time and patience. Well worth the dirty looks from the family when I came home after 8 hours.

Grungy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post

In the spirit of Mike Phillip's "Each one teach one" challenge,

Very cool of you...

I actually find it just as rewarding teaching others how to detail cars as I find it rewarding to detail cars...

I never tire of either.

Each one teach one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grungy View Post
    Hi Flash and Trouble.. finally got an account over here. Many thanks to Mike L. for his time and patience. Well worth the dirty looks from the family when I came home after 8 hours.

Grungy
    Glad you decided to join us. Its been awhile

That was very nice of Mike to help you with your cars

Happy New Year Guys!