autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$10.00 hand car wash/detailers

I see so many DETAILERS (shops & mobile)working for BOTTOM RATE That I got caught up in this dilemma I refer to must of these a car washer rather THEN DETAILERS.....

REAL NUMBERS (MATH)
    Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Rate 2011, 2012 - Minimum-Wage.org
    www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=PennsylvaniaHYPERLINK "http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gxQ6KLNSRe4J:www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp%3Fstate%3DPennsylvania+minimum+wage+in+ pennsylvania+2011&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us"HYPERLI NK "/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS435&biw=1920&bih=923& q=related:www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp%3Fstate%3DPennsylvania+minimum+wage+in+ pennsylvania+2011&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=UJ_kTujzDYHm0QHHw7 GHBg&ved=0CCwQHzAA"
    l A full time minimum wage worker in Pennsylvania working will earn $290.00 per week, or $15080.00 per year. Pennsylvania's minimum wage rate as of ...$7.25 PER HOUR
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Basic Hand Car Wash Items & Labor Expenses
    * PH Balanced Car Wash Shampoo (soap) 64 oz. $10.00
    1 oz per gallon of water 4 to 5 oz per bucket Maybe 15 cars to a Bottle (64oz)
    * DEGREASER/ ALL PURPOSE CLEANER (APC) est. $ 10.00 Gallon
    Use to do tires, light bug removal, Light wheel cleaner & wheel well cleaner
    * WHEEL CLEANER est. $25.00 a gallon
    * TIRE DRESSING est. $25.00 a gallon
    * GLASS CLEANER est. $25.00 a gallon

So that's roughly ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR THE BASICS TO START
    not including interior items or other necessities ie: water hose/nozzle, buckets, brushes, bottles, rags, mitts, sponges & towles.
    EXAMPLE Three workers, one customer trying to complete in an half hour (next customer waiting in vehicle)... lost of revenue out the gate at $7.25 per employee = $21.75
    ok Now one work at $7.25 up $2.75 but will work be complete in half hour not to mention if in a building (expenses) RENT, ELECTRIC, WATER,INSURANCE
    Phila,Pa Water Bill cost about $50.00 a month http://www.phila.gov/water/pdfs/PWD_Proposed_Rate_In.pdf
    PECO Electric est. $75.00 monthly
    https://www.peco.com/CustomerService/RatesandPricing/RateInformation/Pages/CurrentElectric.aspx
    $125.00 for water & electric not including RENT, equipment, supplies, maintenance of equipment or employees
    Then calculate slow business days (weather)
    NOW ASK HOW TO WASH/DETAIL MOST FOR $10.00
    I can't see it, someone (PLEASE) explain it to me.
    I see poor PRODUCT QUALITY
    SUBPAR SERVICE
    ONLINE RESEARCH AVERAGE EXTERIOR IS ABOUT $30.00
    rough copy will update looking for feedback at moment

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $10.00 hand car wash/detailers

They don't do math and use logic... they also are not detailers.

It is that way in the Carpet Cleaning business. So many people think they can run there business like big business and it doesn't work. They rely on cheap and volume. Eventually, it doesn't work and they go out of business. Then someone else tries the same thing. Then the consumer gets programmed for low prices and when they find you they think you are expensive.

BUT, there is a benefit. Some people don't care about price. They want quality. They have tried the cheap guys and it doesn't work. Go for these customers. Explain that you are more expensive, but you are going to take your time and do a good job. Under promise and over deliver. Explain everything about the process when done. What came out and what didn't, but it is minor and won't be noticeable unless you are looking for it or whatever. Make recommendations a put them in writing. Provide customer service like Auto Geek. I send people Thank You cards and customers love it. It is also another way to remind them of your name so they don't forget.

You cannot get every customer. Some people are only programmed for cheap and they don't change. Don't worry about them. In the carpet cleaning business, I find most people that are cheap, are rude, have the dirtiest carpet and are nothing but hassles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toycar18 View Post
    They don't do math and use logic... they also are not detailers.

It is that way in the Carpet Cleaning business. So many people think they can run there business like big business and it doesn't work. They rely on cheap and volume. Eventually, it doesn't work and they go out of business. Then someone else tries the same thing. Then the consumer gets programmed for low prices and when they find you they think you are expensive.

BUT, there is a benefit. Some people don't care about price. They want quality. They have tried the cheap guys and it doesn't work. Go for these customers. Explain that you are more expensive, but you are going to take your time and do a good job. Under promise and over deliver. Explain everything about the process when done. What came out and what didn't, but it is minor and won't be noticeable unless you are looking for it or whatever. Make recommendations a put them in writing. Provide customer service like Auto Geek. I send people Thank You cards and customers love it. It is also another way to remind them of your name so they don't forget.

You cannot get every customer. Some people are only programmed for cheap and they don't change. Don't worry about them. In the carpet cleaning business, I find most people that are cheap, are rude, have the dirtiest carpet and are nothing but hassles.
    THANKS TOYCAR18 for the speedy reply and positive feedback & advice

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATED ALL COMMENTS & INPUT WELCOMED

PENNSYLVANIA STATE MINIUM WAGE IS $7.25 = http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm
    COST OF DOING BASIC BUSINESS (DETAILING)
    Lease/Rent say $600.00 a month for 12 month $7,200
    Gas - electric & Phone for year estimate $3500.00 and up winter months cost rise
    Starting (Standard) Detail items (not including essentials like buckets,Microfiber Towels,Car Wash mitts,Tire dressing applicators or Brushes) also Excluding upgrades like Compounds,Polishes & waxes. No vacuum ,no buffer/polisher
    Car Shampoo (car wash soap) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+wash+shampoo $10.00 a Gallon (128ozs) 2 oz per gallon to wash
    5 gallon bucket 10 oz estimate 12 cars
    General Purpose Cleaner/Degreaser http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+wash+shampoo#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_8_29?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=all+purpose+cleaner+gallon&sprefix=all+pu rpose+cleaner%2Fdegreaser%2Caps%2C193&rh=i%3Aaps%2 Ck%3Aall+purpose+cleaner+gallon $10.00 a gallon
    Glass Cleaner http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+wash+shampoo#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=+auto+glass+cleaner&sprefix=Glass+cleaner %2Caps%2C193&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A+auto+glass+cleaner $10.00 22 ounces
    Tire Dressing http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=car+wash+shampoo#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tire+dressing+gallon&sprefix=tire+dressin g%2Caps%2C193&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atire+dressing+gallo n $20.00 a gallon
    Total $50.00 for everyday average products average amount of cars to go through all above products AND THIS IS WITHOUT LABOR COST, YEARLY BUSINESS TAXES OR BUSINESS INSURANCE FEES
    12 cars give or take at $10 per car wash = $120.00, so called profit is $70.00 have NOT added restock supply cost or utilities yet so if you restock same items from that $70.00 you now have a profit of $20.00 and not including product taxes so if you have 3 people working that adds up to what over $6.00 each and minium wage is what $7.25
    GET REAL - SOME SO CALLED DETAILERS ARE NOT MAKING MONEY WITH THEIR RATES AND COST OF OPERATING BUSINESS AND I SHOW OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCTS....AS A CONSUMER DO THE MATH STOP CHEATING YOUR VEHICLE.. (Detailers) SIMPLE MATH BUY ITEMS FOR DO IT YOURSLEF PROJECT (JUST ONE CAR) ADD UP COST AND ESTIMATE RENT & MONTHLY (BILLS) COST AND BASIC EQUIPMENT TO DETAIL CAR THEN TIMES IT BY 12 AND SEE WHAT YOU COME UP WITH....THEN THINK ABOUT THE LABOR FACTOR THEN INCLUDE ALL THAT TO 12 CARS. AND MOST DETAILER SHOPS WITH A CREW DO MORE THEN 12 CARS A WEEK
    NATIONAL AVERAGE FOR BASIC DETAIL (INTERNET SEARCH) OF A CAR IS ROUGHLY BASE RATE $20.00
    INCLUDES BASIC WASH - VACUUM- GLASS CEANING - TIRE & WHELL CLEANING - TIRE DRESSING
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS435&sclient=psy-ab&q=AVERAGE+COST+FOR+A+BASIC+AUTO+DETAIL%3F&oq=AV ERAGE+COST+FOR+A+BASIC+AUTO+DETAIL%3F&aq=f&aqi=&aq l=1&gs_l=serp.3...1944911.1972110.1.1973421.45.45. 0.0.0.0.127.3812.39j6.45.0.ckh.1.0.0.HuA0V4s0zkc&p sj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=12ac40e 9db346b04&biw=1920&bih=931

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point, and this is good info indeed.
    Subscribed!
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I see your point, and this is good info indeed.
    Subscribed!
    +
    Thanks Vegas Transplant for you response, glad to have enlighted been reading a E book titled ( Amazon.com: Start Your Own Automobile Detailing Business (9781932531411): Eileen Figure Sandlin: Books )
    alot of helpful info

Post Thanks / Like

If you are a legitimate employer your labor cost is a higher than just $7.25. There are social security taxes, etc. unless you hire independent contractors (do their own 1099 forms).
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bunky good point, I was trying to just point out that minium wage here is $7.25 so if you work for someone at one of these side shops that I see many of and you break down that $10.00 wash amongst 3 peole for a 20 minute wash you my be better off working somewhere else for minium wage if you have to split $10.00 2 or more ways

Post Thanks / Like

I am doing an exterior wash for $17 per car. 2- extra for tire shine and 3 extra for a spray wax. With one guy we can wash the entire exterior in 15 minutes that includes towel dry, windows, and tire shine. There is a process.

-I spend $17 on acid cleaner- dilute it around 5:1
    -I buy a 5 gallon bucket of non acid cleaner for $55- Dilute it 4:1($0.10c per car)
    -My soap is $10 per gallon and I use 2 cap fulls which will wash about 4 cars using the 2 bucket method.(I believe this is correct- Lets say $.005c per car
    -My tire shine is $90 per 5 gal bucket. I can do around 20 cars on one 26 bottle or tire shine with the right sprayer. ($0.25c per car)

I under stand my price is basically double but you need to learn to use less product. With an employee working for $8 per hour cash- that comes out to be around 9.60 per 4 cars. So I am making $58. Doesn't sound to bad to me. And if that guy charging 10 for a wash can get $30 per hours he still isn't doing to bad. Of course those guys charging $10 per hour don't have ins. nor hardly claim any of that money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    I am doing an exterior wash for $17 per car. 2- extra for tire shine and 3 extra for a spray wax. With one guy we can wash the entire exterior in 15 minutes that includes towel dry, windows, and tire shine. There is a process.

-I spend $17 on acid cleaner- dilute it around 5:1
    -I buy a 5 gallon bucket of non acid cleaner for $55- Dilute it 4:1($0.10c per car)
    -My soap is $10 per gallon and I use 2 cap fulls which will wash about 4 cars using the 2 bucket method.(I believe this is correct- Lets say $.005c per car
    -My tire shine is $90 per 5 gal bucket. I can do around 20 cars on one 26 bottle or tire shine with the right sprayer. ($0.25c per car)

I under stand my price is basically double but you need to learn to use less product. With an employee working for $8 per hour cash- that comes out to be around 9.60 per 4 cars. So I am making $58. Doesn't sound to bad to me. And if that guy charging 10 for a wash can get $30 per hours he still isn't doing to bad. Of course those guys charging $10 per hour don't have ins. nor hardly claim any of that money.

I'll be in St Louis soon. I'll hit you up for that $17 wash. I'll make it a cool $20 if you get all the bugs off
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast