autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: $10.00 hand car wash/detailers

Found it on Amazon,

Eileen Figure Sandlin is an award-winning writer and the author of 18 nonfiction books. She also has written more than 800 articles and thousands of newsletter articles.

Sandlin is a professor of business communication, interpersonal communication and English at a major midwest university.

This biography was provided by the author or their representative.

Interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

I won't even wash a tire for $10. Does that make me a bad person?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I won't even wash a tire for $10. Does that make me a bad person?
    Na, you just have your standards, nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Na, you just have your standards, nothing wrong with that.

Good! Cause I ain't about to change now!!

Last week I charged a lady $140 for a wash and interior clean. It was a lease return so polishing really wasn't necessary

I will say I never would've thought I would be charging this much for a wash 25 years ago
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Good! Cause I ain't about to change now!!

Last week I charged a lady $140 for a wash and interior clean. It was a lease return so polishing really wasn't necessary

I will say I never would've thought I would be charging this much for a wash 25 years ago
    Nice price makes me feel like I can make money doing this in my part of town. Only down fall is in the desert, 10min after a wash theres a layer of dust. Dirt roads don't help either. Tons of full sized trucks in my area need work though.

David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Nice price makes me feel like I can make money doing this in my part of town. Only down fall is in the desert, 10min after a wash theres a layer of dust. Dirt roads don't help either. Tons of full sized trucks in my area need work though.

Eventually they'll get tired of driving around in a garbage can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I haven't read this book yet and I don't recognize the name?

In the e-book does the author share their background?

Thanks Mike for sharing, The Book is through Entrepreneur Magaazine and I guess they interviewed several Detailers and I went to one of the detaier web page so it seems like a useful guide geared more to the business side of detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    $10 Wash - not a detail at all..... while we are in TN we charge roughly 25 to 35 for our most basic / quantity packages - which takes 30 minutes to an hour a car and we use roughly $3 in products (our basic). $10 a car is more than likely a go out of business type deal..... we are under 2 years old and make 400 a day on average - and I hope to laugh at these numbers soon! To make this with washes means 40 + cars a day! Forget that lol! The cycle of a detailer is very similar for most - Charge little to build clientele, then charge norm to keep clientele, then charge what you are worth to gain higher class clientele. We went through this cycle quicker than most IMO and this is why we are able to book 2 weeks ahead and book an average of 400 a day in revenue. With more guys Im sure I can book 700 to 800 a day easily (and it will happen soon ). $10 a car is either go out of business deal or stuck at barely making rent deal IMO.
    I stopped by your webpage (very nice) and I noticed you do quite a few RVs. Great work on the RVs and Buses. I have been doing RVs for a while myself (more RVs than cars actually) they are a lot of work especially when they have heavy oxidation on the gel-coat. They are a special type of animal and it seems no two are alike. I have basically been doing this as a part time job for extra money and ended up doing about 50 of them over the winter here in Florida. I am thinking about opening up shop as a mobile detailer but sometimes when taking on another RV detail I stand there and look at this 40 foot monster and say what the _ _ _ _ am I doing here, but once started I just love the challenge of making something so big shine and reflect like a giant mirror, they can really turn a head, especially when you make a older neglected model look almost new. The more painted it seems the easier they are when you work with gel-coat.

I was basically using a DA for the last few years; I finally got the nerve to take on a rotary.

I am interested in what products you use, if you use products made for gel-coat or if you just use products for auto paints. I personally have had better results with the auto products, but since using the rotary and wool cutting and finishing pads on heavy oxidation I wonder if I should give the Gel-coat products a try again. Also how long are you putting in to a say a 36ft 5th wheel or a 40 ft bus. My time has been probably around 15 or more hours just for the outside, sometimes providing multiple steps and sometimes only one, I haven't up charged for multi steps and have been working alone and been charging $350.00 to $400.00 depending on condition and size. I like your linear foot price point but in my area in Florida there seems to be a per unit set price, I don't think I can make it work but might try. When you say linear you mean 40 ft @$10ft= $400.00
    Thanks for your time and again fantastic work on those behemoths ....

Post Thanks / Like

Seem like MORE & MORE $10.00 shops (mobile as well as Home shops)are popping up here in Philadelphia, Seems as most (CUSTOMERS) want clean & shiny over quality, These other so called OPERATORS (being nice,lol) buy over the counter products or from a large detail supply company here at discount rates but have NO REAL KNOWLEDGE of poducts or use anything to GET THE DOLLAR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 215Detailing View Post
    Seem like MORE & MORE $10.00 shops (mobile as well as Home shops)are popping up here in Philadelphia, Seems as most (CUSTOMERS) want clean & shiny over quality, These other so called OPERATORS (being nice,lol) buy over the counter products or from a large detail supply company here at discount rates but have NO REAL KNOWLEDGE of poducts or use anything to GET THE DOLLAR
    I call that the Wal-Mart mentality, something that we just can't seem to get away from these days...

In the end you really don't want those customers anyway except on the rebound after their cars get screwed up then they will pay your prices...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast