autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools Explained

Post Thanks / Like

Tools Explained

Courtesy of Peter Egan - Road and Track

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-B TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a B!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Have a good day everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tools Explained

And all this time I thought I had the only set of tools that did this!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

My favorite is two ton engine hoist. ROFL!!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

How funny!!!

Pliers and Vice Grips are the ones I can relate to
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man that was a good laugh...

Post Thanks / Like

Dyin'here.... love these definition-type jokes....

Post Thanks / Like

I got big ole belly laugh ou of that thanks for posting Ed!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Yup! Own at least one of each, and a special collection of the S.O.B. ones.

Post Thanks / Like

That is pretty funny. Glad to see I am not the only one to throw a wrench from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a very old 7424 as a "Son Of A B" tool" because it didn't have enough horsepower. It was replaced the same day with with 7424XP and Makita.

Using a power tool as a "Son-Of-A- B tool" can be expensive. Stick to launching wrenchs across the garage floor.

However, if you are really experienced and disiciplined; MF towels and foam pad are the "Son-Of-A- B" tool of choice.

I do not have that skill level yet. Everything I've thrown across the garage floor has weighed more than 5 pounds.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast