autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Motorola RAZR and Samsung Nexus Prime (eat your heart out iFone)

In the world of mobile phone ownership you're looking at battleground where the newest and greatest wins the war.

You could have the highest newest GREATEST phone last week (Droid Bionic, iPhone 4S), only to be eclipsed a week later by the newest and greatest this week.

With that said Motorola is back with a punch that hasn't been seen since they originally released the OG Droid two years ago and resurrecting an old but familiar name. The Motorola Droid RAZR.

Just a fast tech sheet about this bad boy

7.1mm thick
    Gorilla Glass
    4.3-inch Super AMOLED Advanced qHD (960 by 540 pixels) display
    Aluminum accents
    stainless steel core
    Kevlar fiber backing
    Supposed to have a coating to resist liquid spills
    1.2ghz dual core proc
    1GB of Ram
    16GB of internal storage with external storage expansion
    4G LTE
    2.3 Gingerbread
    1.3MP front facing camera
    8MP camera that can capture 1080p Video
    299.99 by Nov this year.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX3c8S8a4Jw&feature=player_embedded]Motorola DROID RAZR Hands-On - YouTube[/video]

So what does this all mean? The Droid Bionic that got released about a week ago is already out of date...

And here I give a you bit more vanillia looking Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus Prime. The granddaddy of all Android phones that will ship with Google's Android Ice Cream Sandwich. What does that mean? Hardware-accelerated graphics and a higher level of performance to all Android handsets (that's still being supported).

Tech Sheet run down
    1.2Ghz Dual Core Proc
    4.65-inch curved glass HD Super AMOLED 1280 x 720
    5 megapixel with zero shutter lag camera
    1.3 megapixel front facing camera
    Video capture at 1080p30
    1GB of RAM
    16/32GB of internal storage
    8.9mm thick body

Feels a bit underwhelming when you look at it compared to the Droid RAZR but if you want the BEST Android exp on the market look no where else.

So with that said I'm glade I held off my urge to upgrade and picking up a iPhone 4S for the Nexus Prime or the Droid RAZR. How about you?

ALSO just to let everyone know, none of this will matter next year as nVidia will be unleashing Kal-El at CES (quad-core mobile processor).
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorola RAZR and Samsung Nexus Prime (eat your heart out iFone)

I like some things about both the Razr and the Nexus but the IPhone4S crushes them in graphics ( GPU ) performance.

Apple always seems to be one step ahead in that area and the trend continues. One reason is because of the exclusivity deals Apple gets, nobody else can use the GPU thats in the iPad2 and the iPhone4S.

There are some other GPUs that can give it a run for the money but they have not entered manufacturing yet so early-mid 2012 the Android phones may catch up in that area.

If only there was an android ICS phone with the Razr thinness, the Nexus 720p AMOLED display, and iPhone4S GPU performance!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going after the Nexus. I had been holding out for a WP7 phone because I use Zune and I was hoping to integrate that into my phone. However I don't want to leave Verizon and while I know they have a WP7 phone now, what I was holding out for was a new 4G LTE version to go with their new "Mango" release.

The two big things winning me over on Nexus instead of the RAZR are ICS with stock Google experience (vs. Blur from Moto), and the fact that it will/should be completely unlocked so I can hack it to my heart's content like my original Moto Droid

Post Thanks / Like

Zune is officially dead, but MS said they'll support it since ZUNE service is integrated into XBL.

And I have to agree about ICS winning me over the Droid RAZR. My OG Droid took forever getting any updates what so ever because it had to pass Moto's certification and VZW.
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Galaxy S2 (dual core), and it is FAST. It multitasks easily without any sign of hiccups or delays. I look forward to the Nexus Prime, and the future quad-core phones. I wonder how their battery life will last?

Post Thanks / Like

I might get one once more reviews come out. I was going to get a bionic but this might make it in my pocket. I always liked my old Razor flip phone and its slim size.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    Zune is officially dead, but MS said they'll support it since ZUNE service is integrated into XBL.

And I have to agree about ICS winning me over the Droid RAZR. My OG Droid took forever getting any updates what so ever because it had to pass Moto's certification and VZW.
    Yeah, I rooted my Droid in Summer 2009 and have been running custom OS's and themes since. So no waiting for updates from Moto and VZW. I've been running Gingerbread (which the OG Droid will NEVER see in an official way) for months now.

As far as Zune, the hardware may be dead (though I just found a link that says that announcement may have been an error), but they are not getting rid of the software service because WP7 phones have a Zune player on them. If anything they've just done away with the separate hardware. That's fine by me since as I said I was hoping to integrate anyway since WP7 supports the software

Post Thanks / Like

Are you running Pete Alfonso Vanilla Gingerbread update for the droid?
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rei86 View Post
    Are you running Pete Alfonso Vanilla Gingerbread update for the droid?
    Nope, running ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning version 5.5. Based off Gingerbread 2.3.5 source code and Cyanogen Mod. Pete does good stuff for sure, but I've always liked Chevy's stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a Samsung Focus running WP7 Mango. I really like it because it works. It's cool to have all the neat stuff droid can do, but sometimes I just want my phone to be a phone and work without having to mess with it. One thing none of the current phones still don't do well is Outlook integration with multiple calendars, tasks, SharePoint, etc. Even Mango is a disappointment as far as Outlook integration. I'm not a fan of Blackberry, but they do it much better.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast