autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Repair

Whats up guys and gals..

I have a very small tear in my seat-the flap of leather is still attached. Nick recommended this kit to repair leather:

3M Leather & Vinyl Repair Kit, 3M 08579, repair leather tear, repair vinyl seats, leather repair

but I am thinking that I don't need something like this quite yet. Has anyone just glued the flap and "reattached" it to the seat? I came across another thread where someone recommended a company called Leather World Technologies. They have some "soft" glue that I think would suffice, applying it with a toothpick or I was thinking a plastic collar stay:

http://leatherworldtech.com/Products...__LMLSG08.aspx

Has anyone else repaired leather tears? What are your suggestions?

Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather Repair

I can't really see it in these pics- kind of blurry...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dtuna42 View Post
    I can't really see it in these pics- kind of blurry...

I know...my phone camera sucks. But basically think of a small triangle shape flap/tear. I'm thinking some keys dug into the leather.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Still looking for some suggestions on this one.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that you should be able to repair that relatively easily. The glue might work perfectly since it's so small. Only thing that I would be concerned about is how well the glue would stick to the foam inside...eventually I'd think the foam would tear.

I've personally never done leather repairs, so can't really help you out too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Jason...I'm really hoping that because it's so small that it won't pull on the foam too much after it has been glued down. I'm now alittle worried about glue getting on to the rest of the seat.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jason...I'm really hoping that because it's so small that it won't pull on the foam too much after it has been glued down. I'm now alittle worried about glue getting on to the rest of the seat.
    Yeah I would be worried about that as well. Maybe tape up the area around it and give it a good amount of time to dry before sitting in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Yeah I would be worried about that as well. Maybe tape up the area around it and give it a good amount of time to dry before sitting in it.
    Indeed. I hope some others will chime in here. This is going to make me reconsider who I let in my car.
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to repair very small tears llike that simply with a pigment that has good adhesion.
    A Leather Repair Pen will dispense a small amount of colour to the right place and you can then work with a pin or dental tool to get the little flap of leather back to it's original position, then dry.
    If you do need to use glue you can use either a water or solvent based glue as long as it is a specific leather glue that will remain flexible when dry. Put a small among of glue out on a piece of paper - do not try to work straight from the tube. Work with a dental tool to get a small amount of glue under the flap of leather and then reposition the flap. Excess glue will rub off the surface.
    Allow to dry.
    You may need some colour for the glued area depending on how neatly the flap has gone back into it's position.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judyb View Post
    It is possible to repair very small tears llike that simply with a pigment that has good adhesion.
    A Leather Repair Pen will dispense a small amount of colour to the right place and you can then work with a pin or dental tool to get the little flap of leather back to it's original position, then dry.
    If you do need to use glue you can use either a water or solvent based glue as long as it is a specific leather glue that will remain flexible when dry. Put a small among of glue out on a piece of paper - do not try to work straight from the tube. Work with a dental tool to get a small amount of glue under the flap of leather and then reposition the flap. Excess glue will rub off the surface.
    Allow to dry.
    You may need some colour for the glued area depending on how neatly the flap has gone back into it's position.
    Hope this helps
    Judyb
    Thank you very much for your response...I greatly appreciate it. I will see if I can find a leather repair pen. Your instructions and suggestions are much appreciated!
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast