autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Gold Coast Corvette Club - First Annual Car Show

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    Really nice pics. Thanks for sharing, Mike. Looks like you had a great day!
    Fast & Furious Picture Taking - That's a technique for car shows or all you get is butts and elbows.

More to come but had to take a break and buff out a car tonight...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

More to come...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

More to come...

Mike Phillips

Continued...

This is Franklin Feiler's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr built by Superior Custom Classics in Hudson, Florida. The paint color is House of Colors Sunset Orange.

Scrape
    I don't know who made the body for Franklin's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr but I worked with Terry Cook, the guy that originally created Scrape, the car the above body style was designed from. Terry combined the the back half of the 1938/1939 body with the front half of the 1940/1941 Lincoln Zephyr to create a car he called Scrape.

You can read all about how Scrape was created here,

Elements of STYLE- The Birth of a Legend

Terry Cook

I have a keen interest in Scrape and all the variants from my past work with Terry Cook while I worked for Bill Stuart, the owner of the Absorber synthetic drying chamois. Bill had me tour with Terry and Scrape helping to set up the booth, prep Scrape for display and then share the benefits and features of the Absorber. Here's a shot of one of the booths.

In this photo I was applying Meguiar's M98 Medallion to Scrape at the Portland Roadster Show getting ready for the show to open. Ever since working with Terry and Scrape I've had keen interest in Lincoln Zephyrs just from my experience with Scrape.

Just to note, when I first started working with Terry Cook I didn't know he was the Editor for Hot Rod Magazine at one time. Once I found out he offered to edit my first how-to book, "The Art of Polishing Paint". I'm sorry to say that I never finished the second version that Terry was helping me with but fast forward to the present and I have my first in a series of how-to books just about ready to be published both digitally and in print form.

Index

Digital Mock-up
    Here's a mock-up of the rough draft on my iPad, this is a chapter on how to divide up the panels of a car into smaller sections for machine compounding and polishing.

A few months later Terry Cook brought me to Southern California to buff out and prepare Scrape for the Monterey Auction where Scrape sold at the Monterey Auction in 1999 for a record.$275,000

While I was down there, I also did the wetsand, cut and buffed on one of Terry's other creations, The Titanic.

Hand Sanding the Liberace Lavender Paint on the Titanic

When I arrived in Monterey, they had the Titanic set-up in the 3rd floor of a 4 floor parking garage and all I had for lighting were the overhead florescent tubes. Not what you would call an optimum setting for wetsanding a car that's 20 feet long with case-hardened clear coat paint.

Back then we didn't have all the cool tools we have now for machine sanding nor the abrasive technology now available in aggressive cutting compounds. It's sure a lot easier to sand down paint and buff it out then it was back then.

Chip Foose & Christopher Titus
    While I was prepping Scrape and The Titanic, I also met Chip Foose and Christopher Titus for the first time and ended up hanging out with them for most of the weekend as well as worked on Chip's creation, 0032 a 1932 Ford Roadster that one America's Most Beautiful Roadster Award in 2000

To my knowledge, both Scrape and 0032 are now in the Petersen Museum and I have not heard of or seen the Titanic since that weekend.

A Lincoln Zephyr on our TV Show
    Also just to note, we had a gentleman by the name of Fred Datson on our TV show What's in the Garage? who build an all steel 1938 Lincoln Zephyr and then stuffed a 396 Big Block Chevy engine into it and this was his Daily Driver in Kingsport, Tennessee!

Here's a thread about this episode here on AutogeekOnline.net

Episode 4 - Kingsport, Tennessee

Here's some pictures I took during the taping of the above episode, more pictures by clicking the link.

And if you click the link below you can watch Episode 4 with Fred and his Lincoln. Remember, we're shooting Season 2 of What's in the Garage? starting in January of 2012 and we're looking for cool cars to be on our TV show which we're going to shoot right here in Stuart, Florida at our own TV Studio.

Click here to watch Episode 4 of What's in the Garage?

Anyway, it was fun to see Franklin's 1939 Lincoln Zephyr and I'll see if I can get him to bring it by Autogeek's Show Car Garage sometime in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite, I love this car!

And is that our very own BobbyB in the background?

Post Thanks / Like

I love shows like this! The biggest fail for them though is that they don't have enough if any 1982 and 1984 CrossFire cars! CFI Corvette owners are generally the "laughing stock" owners as other Vette guys tend to see those cars as Fails due to the injection system when all they really need is a little massaging to get the performance up.... Oh well...

Love the pics Mike! Thanks for sharing!
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had a great time with Mike at the 2011 Gold Coast Corvette Classic Car Show. We met alot of great people and seen some beautiful cars.

Jim Campbell owns a 1972 Corvette Convertible that was absolutely stunning in person. He only uses Mothers products on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures and it was a great show. I entered my '76 Corvette and was lucky enough to walk away with a Top 20 award. Lots of great cars and people. Thanks for sharing
    My YouTube Channel showing the restoration of my '76 Corvette

http://www.youtube.com/user/carissawabo

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Palmbeachvette View Post
    Great pictures and it was a great show. I entered my '76 Corvette and was lucky enough to walk away with a Top 20 award. Lots of great cars and people. Thanks for sharing

Nice video, engine sounds great! Also, since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

That was a fun car show I personally made a number of good friends while I was there. We're shooting 2 new seasons for our TV show starting in January and another week of shooting in February and I'm hoping to create a list of cars to draw from for the show, maybe even you're car?

Also, I met Dave, who owns this 1977 Corvette and just did an extreme makeover on it and you can see the pictures here,

Picture & Comments - 1977 Can Am Corvette - Extreme Makeover - Modeled by Amy and Janna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Nice video, engine sounds great! Also, since this was your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

That was a fun car show I personally made a number of good friends while I was there. We're shooting 2 new seasons for our TV show starting in January and another week of shooting in February and I'm hoping to create a list of cars to draw from for the show, maybe even you're car?

Also, I met Dave, who owns this 1977 Corvette and just did an extreme makeover on it and you can see the pictures here,

Picture & Comments - 1977 Can Am Corvette - Extreme Makeover - Modeled by Amy and Janna

Mike,

thanks for the welcome to the forum, can't believe after seeing you on tv so many times that I didn't know how close you guys are

I did see the thread with Dave's '77. We're both in the same Corvette club and WOW! what a difference your products and craftmanship did to his car.

I've been reading and learning on your site and thank you for all the videos. I've been detailing since I was in high school but there is always so many new things to learn and this site is an awesome resource

Put me down for the show entry, I'd love to be included or involved in anyway that will help.

Thanks,

Eric
    My YouTube Channel showing the restoration of my '76 Corvette

http://www.youtube.com/user/carissawabo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast