autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

did my pads melt?

So I just used some brand new pads, Meguiar's 2.0 soft buff yellow pads. I only used it once and thought I would soak them in a bucket of Micro-Restore before I washed them in the machine...

So anyways I filled my 5-gallon bucket with water and poured 2 oz of Micro-Restore detergent in, and let the pads soak for barely 10-15 minutes and I came to check on them...I found their faces melted?

Not sure if I did something bad, anyone have experience with this? 7 brand new pads all turned out like this after soaking for 15ish minutes.

I didn't even scrub the face of the pads or anything, but most of the face is melted off (where the compound and wax residue was)

Anyone know the problem would be great so I can avoid this problem again in the future.

Just to be clear, this is exactly what I did...I finished using the pads, I sprayed the pad cleaners (the red XMT spray bottle), which sat on the pads for a couple of days because my washing machine broke, so today I just received my Micro-restore shipment and poured 2 oz in a 5 gallon bucket and just soaked it in, and the face looks like the attached picture, melted.

By the way, are the pads still usable? I don't know much about pads and such.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails did my pads melt?-1314923157970-jpg   did my pads melt?-1314923146365-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: did my pads melt?

Could they of been that dirty before you soaked them that you didn't see any damage ?? Maybe they were like that before you cleaned them . What kind of machine did you use them with and backing plate .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    Could they of been that dirty before you soaked them that you didn't see any damage ?? Maybe they were like that before you cleaned them . What kind of machine did you use them with and backing plate .
    They were perfectly fine (besides some dried residue) before being dunked and soaked.
    I used a G110v2 (1-5, never used 6) and 68DA backing plate.

I am guessing the micro fiber restore detergeant is responsible or the dried up XMT red spray Pad Cleaners? Because it was only on the face of the pad, where the compound and waxes were.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the XMT ate your pads. Next time just add a little bit of laundry detergent in a bucket and wash it by hand. Or use the pad cleaner, just don't let it set for long, and then rinse the pad in warm/hot water.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it was probably the xmt cleaner. I've never had that happen but it is a very strong cleaner and I only let it sit for about a minute on the pad before I put them in my warm water with cleaner bucket.

I have a bucket already set up with water and either opc or dp pad cleaning power mixed in.

When I switch pads I spray the xmt cleaner on my old pad and let it sit for about a minute while I prime my new pad. Then I place it face down in the bucket. I believe letting the cleaner dry on the pad may have done it. Thats my best guess based on the info.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was the XMT also.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, thanks everybody for your input. As far as pads, are they still usable? can I used a melted face pad?

Post Thanks / Like

While we are on the subject, anyone try the hydro pads? (Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads) or the constant pressure? (Constant Pressure Technology by Lake Country Pads, Constant pressure pads, Hi-Gloss Pads)

I need to buy some new pads because like I said, all my pads were melted...
    I thought the Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 was the best pads but would like your inputs as well...

If Meg is indeed the best, I would re-order, but if hydro/pressure/ or any better pads that someone can recommend, I would go ahead and order those.

Also for a Meg's G110v2 with a 68DA backing plate, do they fit 4" or 5" or 5.5" pads? I only have the 7" and have no idea if those smaller ones will fit. Again thanks for all your inputs and suggestions. I trust the AG community thus I am asking for recommendations from experience users.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rock012345 View Post
    While we are on the subject, anyone try the hydro pads?

I need to buy some new pads because like I said, all my pads were melted...
    I thought the Meguiar's Soft Buff 2.0 was the best pads but would like your inputs as well...

If Meg is indeed the best, I would re-order, but if hydro/pressure/ or any better pads that someone can recommend, I would go ahead and order those.

Also for a Meg's G110v2 with a 68DA backing plate, do they fit 4" or 5" or 5.5" pads? I only have the 7" and have no idea if those smaller ones will fit. Again thanks for all your inputs and suggestions. I trust the AG community thus I am asking for recommendations from experience users.
    You will find smaller diameter pads (5.5") will be easier for a the G110v2 to turn under pressure, allowing a faster correction albeit under a smaller area.

There are a lot of detailers that prefer one or the other, however you can look at it this way:
    - HT's do not absorb as much polish/wax, meaning you will use less product
    - Softbuff 2.0's are machine washable
    - HT's (the thin ones) absorb less machine energy, transferring more of it to the paint
    - Softbuff 2.0's were specifically designed to work with Meg's polishes (I would imagine, at least)

I am saving up for some thin HT's, but I have a first-gen PC7424. Otherwise, you will need a smaller backing plate for the 5.5" pads.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I love Meg's products (M105, M205, M21, M40, etc.) On the other hand I don't like their Soft Buff 2.0 pads. I find that they fall apart. I used them on a detail last month and they fell apart. The pad itself fell apart and the backings came apart. I've never seen anything like it with the Lake Country pads. For me they were a waste of money except for the finishing pads.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast