autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for any health professional military members (mostly Air Force)

I just started dental school in Utah and am trying to apply for the US Air Force Health scholarship. I was wondering if anyone, or knows someone, with first hand experience being a health care professional in the military? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of lifestyle I should expect being a dentist in the military, specifically Air Force.

One major concern I have is how long are deployments for health professionals and how close would we be to "the front lines"?

I've always been intrigued by the military but never thought I had what it takes to actually pick up a gun and fight. I guess this is another way I can support my country without violence.

Also, if anyone is Air Force or knows someone from Air Force, I've been trying to get a hold of a recruiter for 3 days now with no response. I know the deadline for the scholarship is coming up soon so if anyone has a contact, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as getting a hold of a recruiter, contact your local high schools academic advisor and ask for a contact.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for any health professional military members (mostly Air Force)

I don't know first hand about any of your questions, as I never dealt with any dental personnel while I was deployed... but I'll chime in with what I've experienced while I was in.

If you were to be deployed to the middle east, the deployment would probably be anywhere from 6 months to a year long. As for being near the "front lines", you wouldn't have to worry about it. You should be stuck on a base and the most that would happen would be IDF (indirect fire) and even then, they aren't aiming for anything in particular.

Now you would have the possibility of being stationed overseas, in which it would more than likely be a 2 year duty assignment, before you are allowed to "rotate" back Stateside.

If you can't get a hold of the recruiter over the phone, drive on down to their office!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for any health professional military members (mostly Air Force)

Kaleb - I'm new to the area so I'll have to look up where the nearest high school is, thanks for the suggestion!

HardDog - Thanks for your input! A couple of guys and I were planning on making a road trip to the office if we didn't hear anything from them soon, but it's hard finding time with all the school work. Thanks though!