autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am very upset over this

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    I agree with you on the negligent driving, however speeding is not negligent. Driving while talking on a cell phone, texting, not paying attention - that is negligent and should be what is being enforced.
    Here they are trying to enforce it but not going to stop many... because you have to have a reason to be pulled over and a cop seeing a phone in your hand is not one that is enough...
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    They have had red light cameras here but there has been controversy given that 1) they are operated by third parties who work on commission and 2) you cannot really contest the photo.

I do not see any legally wrong with the concept of cameras as long as it is no different than a human. It is now just technology makes it so much easier to catch speeders.
    We have red light cameras as well. They were declared illegal for a while, but somehow they got re-instated because they make a lot of money.

Red light cameras in a number of cases increase the accident rates at intersections, because drivers will slam on their brakes instead of going through a changing light, and get rear-ended by the car following them.

Also there are many cases of the local governments shortening the yellow light time to increase the revenue that the cameras generate. Where there is a direct profit incentive to be made, they can not be trusted. Now if the revenue went to charity it could be different.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post

On a lighter note: Looks like your making those six hour, 500 mile, "moonshine running" days are almost over.
    {Run a quart mason jar of the good stuff by my house first, would ya?}

Bob
    I'll be by shortly, and take the back roads
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    I agree with you on the negligent driving, however speeding is not negligent. Driving while talking on a cell phone, texting, not paying attention - that is negligent and should be what is being enforced.
    This is where judgement in needed. Riding 90 mph is not too smart especially when mixed with slower traffic. In congested areas, excessive speed is dangerous.

However, I believe enforcement should be primarily limited to speed 10 mph over the posted speed. Tickets should not be viewed as a revenue source for the government and the lawyers.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post

The problem that cameras will never fix is the texters, talkers, eaters, drinkers, yelling at the kiders, readers, and worst of all (as they are all of the above but a lot worse) teenagers!
    And that is what is dangerous. There is actually a study out there that found that owners of radar detectors are 30% less likely to get in an accident, because they are focusing more of their attention on driving. People speeding do not bother me one bit. Distracted drivers that endanger everyone's lives regardless of speed make me very mad.

Talking on your cell phone while driving is equivalent to driving drunk.
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    This is where judgement in needed. Riding 90 mph is not too smart especially when mixed with slower traffic. In congested areas, excessive speed is dangerous.

However, I believe enforcement should be primarily limited to speed 10 mph over the posted speed. Tickets should not be viewed as a revenue source for the government and the lawyers.

That's a good point, if it were rush hour that would be dangerous, but if it were 2am and someone wanted to ride 90mph that doesn't bother me a bit. This is why humans need to be in the loop to assess the conditions surrounding the event.
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reality33 View Post
    I wish this was done in more places to be honest. You hear of way to many people being hurt or killed due to negligent driving.

This will only help in getting people to slow down and be more careful.
    Yep, but why stop at speed cameras? Why not let government put monitoring cameras on every city block so that they can track all crimes that occur?

With all due respect, it's people like you that are allowing this country to go down the road of 1984.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this thread can spark some good discussion, and I don't want it to get locked, so try to avoid personal attacks.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hence the "with all due respect." ; )

Post Thanks / Like

The only rule of the road I don't follow is the speed limit. I speed, but I signal when changing lanes, pass on the left, get out of the left lane after passing, come to complete stops at stop signs, wear my seat belt, etc. People that don't follow all those rules are the real danger...not speeders.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast