autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone own a Tube TV that receives HD?

Well, if any of you have seen my other thread (s), I'm planning on moving into an apartment in the next few months.

I've been doing some research on TV's. First off, I'm going to be having basic cable, so the HD I do receive will be over the air.

I'm debating between:

1.) 27" Samsung 4:3 screen HDTV Slimfit (CRT) - $521.99
    2.) 30" Samsung 16:9; HDTV Slimfit (CRT) - $598.99
    3.) 32" Samsung LCD (Latest model) - $986.79
    4.) 32" LG LCD - $899.99

My main question: For those of you who have or have seen CRT TV's that are HD compatible, is the HD pretty good?

I know the LCD will offer a much better picture with HD, but it's only going to be over the air so I won't have that much HD channels to begin with.
    And also, I don't know if I want/can spend that much on a TV.

The TV's are ranked in order of the most likely I would get.

Post Thanks / Like
    jw where you got the prices from since they seem kind of high try pricegrabber.com you can search by price model and all that good stuff
    2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L 4wd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adde
    jw where you got the prices from since they seem kind of high try pricegrabber.com you can search by price model and all that good stuff
    did and done, those are pretty much the lowest I've found.

Samsung's are some of the higher priced TV's. And w/ buying online, shipping is an easy $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wouldn't do anything smaller than a 32". I have a 32" and cable, HD tv in incredible. I will soon be imporving to a 40" Pioneer Elite. Even HD gaming systems ROCK with a nice HD TV.

LCD's/plasma can be placed on the wall to increase apperance and space. Next year will rock when I get a new TV.

Samsung are good quality TV's BTW, I would recommend their plasma over an LCD. I used to work for Magnoila (Best Buy's new high-end addition) and these are some good TV's.

-Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nick19
    I personally wouldn't do anything smaller than a 32". I have a 32" and cable, HD tv in incredible. I will soon be imporving to a 40" Pioneer Elite. Even HD gaming systems ROCK with a nice HD TV.

LCD's/plasma can be placed on the wall to increase apperance and space. Next year will rock when I get a new TV.

Samsung are good quality TV's BTW, I would recommend their plasma over an LCD. I used to work for Magnoila (Best Buy's new high-end addition) and these are some good TV's.

-Nick
    $1000 is absoultely my top budget, and it's a small aparment so 32" is definitely the max.

I want to know how well the HD is on the Tube TV's such as the 30" Samsung slimfit. I've shopped around and watched them, but I want to hear some personal opinions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46
    $1000 is absoultely my top budget, and it's a small aparment so 32" is definitely the max.

I want to know how well the HD is on the Tube TV's such as the 30" Samsung slimfit. I've shopped around and watched them, but I want to hear some personal opinions.

I have Best Buy's brand tube, and I love it. It's a great entry level HD TV. You can, possibly, get a plasma if you look around for deals. I know we had Panasonic Plasmas for $1100 (in store price), and sold 56 of them in two days. If you can, look for "scratch & dent" TV's; I picked up mine for $325. No HDMI input, but component cables work like a charm. That would be my best bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would plan wisely and make your purchase last for a while.
    Are you talking about DLP when you say CRT? I am not aware of a CRT type that would be HD ready. And that is a must since we only have a year left till all channels are required to be HD.
    I would set your budget as to what you can spend and then search untill you find.....new stuff is release this spring so some good deals can be had on last years models.
    Your screen should be 3.3 times the distance of your seating. A 42" screen would put seating around 130" or approx 11 feet.
    I prefer LCD. If you dont have to worry about any sunlight then you will get a better deal on Plasma.
    Ric
    HOGtailing is my business

Detailing at the Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Also......dont buy anything that says EDTV and make sure on plasma you check the bulb life.
    Ric
    HOGtailing is my business

Detailing at the Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    if you don't mind, I'm going to quote myself again to give my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by frugle
    As long as you have your TV set up properly, LCD is absolutely incredible... i've seen a bunch LCDs that just look like crap, but I promise that is only because of the wrong setting.

My uncle bought a samsung 46" LCD HD 1080i TV, out of the box it looked like crap. it took me probably 5 minutes to figure out that it was looking at the wrong signal, and the several other things were off.. but once we had it looking in the right direction,

I have never seen something so beautiful in my life.. a plasma has never come close to looking that good... a lot of plasmas have a ghosting problem, especially after a couple of years.. (Keep in mind a plasmas life is only 6 years) and it just looks like crap.

LCDs don't have the same lifespan problems, they don't burn in as fast, and they dont' ghost.. they look twice as good, and their brightness is much greater.

my next TV will be an LCD TV.

that being said. do NOT waste your money on a TV while in college. do you really need a flat panel TV in your dorm? books are expensive, tuition is expensive, cars are expensive, gas is expensive... there are so many other things that you could use that 400 dollars on that i PROMISE will be more beneficial than getting a flat panel just becuase it is cool.

if you have the space, buy the CRT and wait 4 years for LCDs and plasmas to be just as cheap as a reagular TV (in I think 2008 all manufactures are required by law to have every single model of TV HD compatable. soo, that will make HD mainstream bringing the prices way down)

Post Thanks / Like
    Flat panels are not just cool, they are an investment. If one enjoys TV, movies or games, why stop them? Maybe his parents are paying for it, paying half, whatever. That would be like me saying, "hey you can use that $80 spent for paste wax for something else."

It could be his hobby, or he could just want to come home, relax, watch sports, or whatever, or even a movie, and play games.

-Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast