autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

56 Years of Design Evolution - BMW

I thought I'd share this with those of you who are rather fond of BMW's. I may not always care for the styling of every model, especially those from the Chris Bangle era, but you can't deny the fact that every BMW that rolls out of Munich or any other of their advanced manufacturing facilities represents the ultimate driving machine.

BMW just recently introduced the 2012 6-Series Coupe. Loaded with turbocharged engines and a vast array of safety and technology features, the new 6-Series Coupe is sure to be a hit.

I thought it would be cool to compare the styling of the 1956 BMW 503 Coupe to the new-for-2012 6-Series Coupe.

140 Horsepower and 0-60 mph in 13 seconds!

And then there's the 2012 6-Series Coupe...

Am I the only one that think's the new 6-Series looks like a shark that's ready to attack?

How about 407 horsepower and a whopping 443 ft lbs of torque to propel you to 60 mph in less than 5 seconds? Forget the optional Bang & Olufsen Surround Sound Stereo, just enjoy the sound of the twin-turbo 4.4 V8.

Now that's what I call a family reunion!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 56 Years of Design Evolution - BMW

Nice ... Nick, have you seen the new 1M?
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I can see some of the styling in the 503 and the 6 coupe`... It is kinda like the 507 and the Z8 shown below:

I love Bimmers and I really love how BMW tends to incorporate the classic styling cues into their new models... It is true that they ARE THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!

Happy 4th to you, the AG staff, and to all of the forum members!
    Galatians 6:17
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    The 1M is beautiful just a bit under powered IMHO to carry that series designation...
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Per BMW; "1-Series M"

Yeah I've seen it, and I think it's an incredible car. BMW only plans on offering it in the US for one model year and only plans on bringing over about 1000 of them. They are going to be a rare find, and you can bet that dealers are going to inflate the price considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post
    The 1M is beautiful just a bit under powered IMHO to carry that series designation...
    I feel the complete opposite. I think the 1-Series M is an ugly duckling, but it's a pure drivers car - what the M designation is all about. The interior is nothing fancy and is barely upgraded compared to the 135. The brakes, wheels, suspension components, etc, are all pulled directly from its bigger brother, the M3. The 1-Series M weighs about 200 lbs less than an M3, has about 80 less horsepower, but the 1-Series M has considerably more torque because of the twin turbo straight-6 vs the M3's naturally aspirated rev happy V8.

In the newest edition of Motortrend they compared the 1-Series M to the M3. Performance figures were nearly identical, although the M3 was .2 seconds quicker in the quarter mile but both cars posted an identical time on the track. Impressive when you compare the price difference between the two cars.

The 1-Series M Coupe features less electronic driving aids and is more of a drivers car, starting with the traditional 6-speed manual instead of the state of the art 7-speed twin clutch auto in the M3.

I'd gladly take the M3 any day. Hearing it snap off shifts as you approach the 8400 RPM redline must sound amazing. BMW has just about confirmed that the next gen M3 will feature a twin turbo I6 set up because of fuel efficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrownKote View Post
    Great picture!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Per BMW; "1-Series M"

Yeah I've seen it, and I think it's an incredible car. BMW only plans on offering it in the US for one model year and only plans on bringing over about 1000 of them. They are going to be a rare find, and you can bet that dealers are going to inflate the price considerably.

I feel the complete opposite. I think the 1-Series M is an ugly duckling, but it's a pure drivers car - what the M designation is all about. The interior is nothing fancy and is barely upgraded compared to the 135. The brakes, wheels, suspension components, etc, are all pulled directly from its bigger brother, the M3. The 1-Series M weighs about 200 lbs less than an M3, has about 80 less horsepower, but the 1-Series M has considerably more torque because of the twin turbo straight-6 vs the M3's naturally aspirated rev happy V8.

In the newest edition of Motortrend they compared the 1-Series M to the M3. Performance figures were nearly identical, although the M3 was .2 seconds quicker in the quarter mile but both cars posted an identical time on the track. Impressive when you compare the price difference between the two cars.

The 1-Series M Coupe features less electronic driving aids and is more of a drivers car, starting with the traditional 6-speed manual instead of the state of the art 7-speed twin clutch auto in the M3.

I'd gladly take the M3 any day. Hearing it snap off shifts as you approach the 8400 RPM redline must sound amazing. BMW has just about confirmed that the next gen M3 will feature a twin turbo I6 set up because of fuel efficiency.

True but honestly for it to carry the 1 series and M packaging it should have a bit more bite as per previous models... The M1 was a "I6 supercar in it's day and I think BMW kinda dropped the ball in badging it that way... They generally stick to their series pretty well but not on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Great picture!
    I have a few more I think I will try to dig them up... I love the Zeds so much...
    Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKadmxavqU&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - ‪2009 BMW M3 Coupe‬‏[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

And all it would take is a lottery hit.........

I'd love the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of the 507/Z8 combo pics I have aquired over the years...

And as for the 503 and 6 coupe` similarity take a look at these:

Hello my name is Chris
    www.crownkote.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast