autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Computer help... networking to be exact.

First off, I have a pretty much new HP DV6000 laptop. Has all the wireless stuff already, blah blah blah.

I'm seriously looking into an apartment and found one I like. They offer Hi-speed internet, basic cable, phone through the complex, so it's all received as one bill. More than likely I'm going to be doing this for I save just a couple dollars over Time Warner's bundle, but it's nice that it's all one bill.

Questions:
    1.) Can I receive wireless in my apartment without having a main computer, such as a desktop. For instance, can I just run the cable into the Hi-Speed cable modem, and then from that into the wireless modem, and pretty much be done. My friend says he thinks this is possible, but I just need to physically hook up my laptop first to the cable modem when setting it up. This would act as the main computer, and then I can un-hook once it's set up.

2.) Is there such a device where the wireless modem AND the cable modem are all modem??? Where I wouldn't need a cable and a wireless modem.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Feel free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitethunder46
    First off, I have a pretty much new HP DV6000 laptop. Has all the wireless stuff already, blah blah blah.

I'm seriously looking into an apartment and found one I like. They offer Hi-speed internet, basic cable, phone through the complex, so it's all received as one bill. More than likely I'm going to be doing this for I save just a couple dollars over Time Warner's bundle, but it's nice that it's all one bill.

Questions:
    1.) Can I receive wireless in my apartment without having a main computer, such as a desktop. For instance, can I just run the cable into the Hi-Speed cable modem, and then from that into the wireless modem, and pretty much be done. My friend says he thinks this is possible, but I just need to physically hook up my laptop first to the cable modem when setting it up. This would act as the main computer, and then I can un-hook once it's set up.

2.) Is there such a device where the wireless modem AND the cable modem are all modem??? Where I wouldn't need a cable and a wireless modem.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Feel free.
    yes and yes.

There are certain aftermarket modems that have a built in wireless router with the modem in one box. However, this is more common around DSL services and not cable. To get the results you want, you need

1) the modem your ISP uses or if you have to get your own, I recommend a Motorola Surfboard

2) A Wireless router. Seeing as the N standard isnt very reliable at all, go with a wireless G setup. It can run all popular wireless bands 12 / 54 / and 100mbps standards. The only two companies I recommend for wireless for ease of use, security, and quality are DLink and Linksys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini
    yes and yes.

There are certain aftermarket modems that have a built in wireless router with the modem in one box. However, this is more common around DSL services and not cable. To get the results you want, you need

1) the modem your ISP uses or if you have to get your own, I recommend a Motorola Surfboard

2) A Wireless router. Seeing as the N standard isnt very reliable at all, go with a wireless G setup. It can run all popular wireless bands 12 / 54 / and 100mbps standards. The only two companies I recommend for wireless for ease of use, security, and quality are DLink and Linksys.
    I'm heavily leaning towards Linksys.

Would this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1069299031125

would that be the all-in-one type modem? And that will only work for DSL, but not cable?

All I know is they offer hi-speed at the apt. complex for 39.99 a month. I'm assuming it's cable since they also offer basic cable as well.

Post Thanks / Like

would that be the all-in-one type modem? And that will only work for DSL, but not cable?

All I know is they offer hi-speed at the apt. complex for 39.99 a month. I'm assuming it's cable since they also offer basic cable as well.
    I have a linksys router and it works perfectly. Actually, my wifes laptop connects at 54mbps wireless! Wireless G is the most universal.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes and yes.

I have this same set up.
    Formerly "justin30513"

www.clean4udetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, all of the information above is correct. One additiona though, I suggest Netgear's RangeMax line. All of their products are very modern looking and as the name suggests, has distant and strong signal virtually anywhere you need it in your home/apt.

Post Thanks / Like

That should work great for your needs. Good Luck with it

Post Thanks / Like
    That should work great for your needs. Good Luck with it
    I'm leaning towards this. The only thing running to it would be the cable line and the power line, correct???

To set up, I'll need to run an ethernet cable from that modem to my laptop to get ir running, right? But then once it's set up, I can disconnect the ethernet, and I should be good to go????

Post Thanks / Like

just an fyi on price

Hi, looks like you have you mind made up with what you want. here is link that will save you some cash. have dealt with newegg for computer parts and MP3 players. they are the AG of tech supplies.... well almost as good. one other thing is to check with the ISP and see if this unit is on their compatibility list.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...LINKSYS+WCG200
    Last edited by flatstick; 01-20-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Time Warner cable for the TV and Road Runner for my internet connection.
    Time Warner supplied the box to go from the cable connection to the CAT5 that you would plug into your computer.
    I gave my wife a HP laptop for Christmas with wirelss
    I purchased a Linksys wireless router with Speedboster.
    Works great and very easy to set up.
    NewEgg has a very good price on them.

Make sure you set it up with the passwords so no one can grt into your system.
    The range is very good and will go thru a few wall's for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast