autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Having a Hard Time Deciding if I Have Enough Ins. Coverage-First Time Getting it

So I looked into getting insurance but dont know what is too much or too little. If I'm working on say 50K cars what do I need to be covered with? I also want to get my equipment covered and that would be another policy I would have to get. I just get confused while I'm talking on the phone and they are throwing these terms and coverage out there. Can someone help me out?

I'm completely mobile so I do move cars around in parking lots. Also if I get a dealership I will be driving cars from their lot to a set location to detail them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having a Hard Time Deciding if I Have Enough Ins. Coverage-First Time Getting it

I pay roughly $95 bucks a month for 1,000,000 per occurrence and 2,000,000 aggregate (I think that is correct) This covers myself and up to 5 employees. BUT - It does not cover moving vehicles. If I had that I think it was going to be like 140 a month or something close. Hope this helps.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Having a Hard Time Deciding if I Have Enough Ins. Coverage-First Time Getting it

The quote I got was $65 per month at; $300,000 Per "Accident" and $900,000 Aggregated. Then $35 per month for equipment--But it says up to $10,000 per item under $1000. What about my trailer and my $1400 pressure washer?

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I happen to be a property and casualty agent in Texas and may be of assistance.

I would suggest you walk into a local independent agents office. Ask if you can speak with an agent. He should be happy to help you.

Describe what you do, who you work for (customers), how long you've been in business. If he uses a term you don't understand, ask him to explain.

You should think of him as a business consultant. Any agent can give a quote, you should expect your agent to help protect you in the event something goes wrong.

Tell him your new to insurance and need him to explain the coverages, what they cover, what are the limits (how much the insurance will pay in the event of a claim), what coverages you need and why.

Your going to need a general liability policy with some coverages for your equipment. You may want to ask about your vehicle and mobile equipment covered by a business policy. (I assume you have them covered by your personal policy)

A lot of business owners treat their insurance coverages as pain in the neck, until something bad happens. Invest a little bit of time to understand why it is important to protect yourself from the unforeseen. You may well be glad you did.

Hope this helps
    tkendrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    The quote I got was $65 per month at; $300,000 Per "Accident" and $900,000 Aggregated. Then $35 per month for equipment--But it says up to $10,000 per item under $1000. What about my trailer and my $1400 pressure washer?
    If this includes moving the vehicle that doesnt sound too bad. My 95 a month includes RV and bus coverage as well - but again not moving the vehicles.... funny that they wont cover aircraft even though I have detailed more aircraft in my life than anything else lol.

Good luck man - the gentleman that just responded is spot on - you should just go in and say explain every detail
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    If this includes moving the vehicle that doesnt sound too bad. My 95 a month includes RV and bus coverage as well - but again not moving the vehicles.... funny that they wont cover aircraft even though I have detailed more aircraft in my life than anything else lol.

Good luck man - the gentleman that just responded is spot on - you should just go in and say explain every detail
    What do you need insurance for if you aren't moving the vehicles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    It gets me the bigger clients like Enterprise, the Bus company I service, etc. Without any kind of insurance they would not allow me to touch their vehicles. $95 bucks a month is nothing for what I make with these companies and the other clients I will pick up in the near future.
    Bates Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    It gets me the bigger clients like Enterprise, the Bus company I service, etc. Without any kind of insurance they would not allow me to touch their vehicles. $95 bucks a month is nothing for what I make with these companies and the other clients I will pick up in the near future.
    Ok I see. I guess for big companies like that it makes sense. I thought you were talking about insurance for regular clients' vehicles.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tkendrick View Post
    Tom, I happen to be a property and casualty agent in Texas and may be of assistance.

I would suggest you walk into a local independent agents office. Ask if you can speak with an agent. He should be happy to help you.

Describe what you do, who you work for (customers), how long you've been in business. If he uses a term you don't understand, ask him to explain.

You should think of him as a business consultant. Any agent can give a quote, you should expect your agent to help protect you in the event something goes wrong.

Tell him your new to insurance and need him to explain the coverages, what they cover, what are the limits (how much the insurance will pay in the event of a claim), what coverages you need and why.

Your going to need a general liability policy with some coverages for your equipment. You may want to ask about your vehicle and mobile equipment covered by a business policy. (I assume you have them covered by your personal policy)

A lot of business owners treat their insurance coverages as pain in the neck, until something bad happens. Invest a little bit of time to understand why it is important to protect yourself from the unforeseen. You may well be glad you did.

Hope this helps
    tkendrick

Gosh! Great first post.

Joining a detailing discussion forum and in your first post taking the time to write a thoughtful and helpful reply to someone you've never met.

Nice work and welcome to Autogeek Online!

Quote of the Day #1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Let's see...what COULD happen?

> Product you use discolors interior (dash, seats, GPS nav screen, whatever)
    > Dog knocks over your lights, right onto the hood - dents/paint scratched
    > Buffer "gets away" and burns a 10" spot
    > water over spray soaks customers "priceless" item he stores unprotected
    > Customer claims you caused that scratch/dent on the bumper

The list is endless, as are scammer customers. You NEED to protect yourself and your personal assets.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast