autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Siding

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning Siding

I need to clean my white vinyl siding. The side that gets shade most of the time has some algae under the lip. Beside a pressure washer, what products have you used that work well for getting algae/mildew stains off?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning Siding

Spray nine. Usually available locally too!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Regular old bleach mixed 50/50 with water in a garden sprayer with a little dish soap. Hose off the siding, spray it down with the mixture, let dwell for a few minutes then spray off with hose. It will get rid of all that green algae/mildew and will make it sparkle! I do this to my vinyl siding once a year, it's easy, cheap and works great.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Krud Kutter works well, just did my house last weekend.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of a bleach mixture, but I dont want to kill my grass or any of the other plantings around the house. Cant imagine that bleach would be to good for the plants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff120 View Post
    I was thinking of a bleach mixture, but I dont want to kill my grass or any of the other plantings around the house. Cant imagine that bleach would be to good for the plants.
    I have many plants and flowers up close to my house also and have never hurt any of them. I think the bleach gets so diluted after all the rinsing it won't hurt them. I have been using this method for about 15 years with no issues except very clean looking vinyl.
    Just wear old clothes, an old hat and glasses.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a 3% bleach solution. Bleach is typically sold in a 6% solution in the grocery stores. So you would add equal parts of water to get the 3% mix. Apply with a pump sprayer and let it dwell for about 5 minutes but don't let it dry. Rinse with a pressure washer if you have one and be sure to wear gloves and goggles when working with this. Work from the top down but wet the whole area before you begin. This mix worked well for me not only to clean but also to kill algae and mildew. This same solution also works well on roofs that have staining from mildew or mold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Regular old bleach mixed 50/50 with water in a garden sprayer with a little dish soap. Hose off the siding, spray it down with the mixture, let dwell for a few minutes then spray off with hose. It will get rid of all that green algae/mildew and will make it sparkle! I do this to my vinyl siding once a year, it's easy, cheap and works great.
    That's exactly what the professional painters did prior to painting our house. It worked perfectly and not one blade of grass or plant was harmed.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

JOMAX House Cleaner and Mildew Killer. 3 1/4 quarts of water + 2 1/4 cups of bleach + 3/4 cups of JOMAX equals 1 gallon of cleaning solution. Use in a pump sprayer, and always spray your plants well with water before spraying the cleaning solution and then again after rinsing. 1 gallon of JOMAX makes 20 gallons of cleaning solution. I cost about $16.00 Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    JOMAX House Cleaner and Mildew Killer. 3 1/4 quarts of water + 2 1/4 cups of bleach + 3/4 cups of JOMAX equals 1 gallon of cleaning solution. Use in a pump sprayer, and always spray your plants well with water before spraying the cleaning solution and then again after rinsing. 1 gallon of JOMAX makes 20 gallons of cleaning solution. I cost about $16.00 Hope this helps.
    Jomax is a booster and works really well if you have areas that a regular bleach mix won't do.Your skin will take a beating from it as well.

I mix 1quart bleach to 4gal. of water and then apply with a sprayer or purchase an x-jet attachment for your pressure washer and you're good to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast