autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Major bummer.....

Well, it looks like what I thought was going to be the Z28 is not to be. Chevy's going to release a new ZL1 Camaro instead. Now of course that's not my problem. From what I'm seeing it looks like they're only going to release it with a manual transmission. I'm sure you'll all laugh at me when I say that I don't know how to drive a standard. Looks like I'm going to have to learn from someone. Anyhow, google 2012 ZL1 Camaro and you'll see the car. It's one awesome looking car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Major bummer.....

I learned how to drive a standard after being dropped off at the place where I bought my first vehicle. The guy who sold it to me and I put a clutch and pressure plate in it and then he showed me which gear was which (3 speed on the column) and if I wanted to get home with it, I had to learn on the fly. I stalled the engine maybe 3 times and twice had to jump out in traffic to unjam the rods going from the steering column to the transmission. I'll never forget that day or how to drive a stick. Necessity was definitely the mother of invention that day.

Post Thanks / Like

O wow it's beautiful! I love Camaros! As the HSV slogan says "I just want one"

There is nothing like driving a manual. So much more fun. There are those days where you hop in the car and a manual just makes it that much more fun! Always something to look forward to over an automatic, from perfecting half clutch launches to get the perfect take off. With a manual, your launch can win you a drag, or lose it!
    Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic

Post Thanks / Like

While not as painful as Dave's adventure, mine was similar.

I bought a Jeep from a guy and it was a 5-Speed. My dad put me in the driver seat and said, alright, let's go home. A few times stalling, and a few horn honks, and I was on my way to being a master.

Have only had 1 other stick since then, but they aren't too bad. For daily drivers though, I still prefer auto's.

As far as the ZL1, cool beans. Another old production code making its way back in.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

The new Camaro's are gorgeous..along with the Challenger and Mustang. If I had the room and of course some extra cash they'd look great in my garage...

If it wasn't for last years Autogeek expenditures I probably could afford all three!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would you want a car like this in an automatic? Just as easy to learn to drive stick and then you get all the benefits of a stick. I too bought a manual car when I was 16 without knowing how to drive it. A couple trips around the block and I could do it well enough to get around. After about a week of driving it everyday it was simple.

Now I have a manual weekend car and an auto daily driver since there is so much stop and go traffic around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    Why not just learn how to drive manual? I too bought a manual car when I was 16 without knowing how to drive it. A couple trips around the block and I could do it well enough to get around. After about a week of driving it everyday it was simple.
    And it is as simple as this...

There is no mystery to driving a manual transmission....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

66 do you have a cemetery nearby? Great place to learn a stick. Not many cars and not much honking and some have hills to practice on. Dude, I wish a 5 speed was the only thing stopping me from getting a new Camaro.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I worked in construction when I was 16, the foreman asked me if I knew how to drive a standard, I said sure. He gave me a truck, it bucked all the way to the site. He just laughed and said "you'll learn"
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Don't fret...you just saved yourself about $48k....
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast