autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Can You NOT Smell?

Hey Everyone,

Many of you know that I can no longer smell, or taste. I would like to see who else is not able to smell. For those who do not know, I lost my ability back in 2001 due to having a major vehicle accident.

Not being able to smell makes detailing, for me anyways, a lil more challenging. If I get a client that advises me there vehicle has a bad odor, I advise them right then and there that I can't smell. I use my friends at a body shop to smell some of my clients’ vehicles after I've detailed them to make sure there are no odors inside it. I also have an odor remover (fogger) machine that I use once in a while if the people use to smoke inside the vehicle.

Just curios.
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can You NOT Smell?

My brother in-law is the same way. He was hit by a car when he was younger. He can, for the most part taste things.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks man....about 80% of taste IS smell.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    That sucks man....about 80% of taste IS smell.
    Thats why girls hold their noses when they take shots

Post Thanks / Like

so if you can't taste anything, do you eat super healthy all the time?

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Can You NOT Smell?

I lost my sense of smell about 25 yrs ago due to sinus problems. I cant even smell a skunk ( or anything else) if you know what I mean. I have SOME taste but not much. It sucks a lot. I wish I could smell fresh cut grass, popcorn, chinese food or anything else good. I kinda smell fresh air all the time which was good for a while but now I'd like to smell something different. So I know what you're going through. I'll take your word that some of my waxes have a nice scent.
    I dont eat healty all the time, There's still somethings I can remember what they taste like. As long as I have my mind, I'll still eat Reese's peanut butter cups!
    Last edited by mtnbiker; 05-20-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add a sentence

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
    so if you can't taste anything, do you eat super healthy all the time?
    Living down here in the Rio Grande Valley? Right....... Meals down here are more than 85% nasty Mexican food. I wish I could eat healthier foods, but, I can't get myself away from feeling depressed all the time. I detail vehicles to stay positive.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I lost my sense of smell about 25 yrs ago due to sinus problems. I cant even smell a skunk ( or anything else) if you know what I mean. I have SOME taste but not much. It sucks a lot. I wish I could smell fresh cut grass, popcorn, chinese food or anything else good. I kinda smell fresh air all the time which was good for a while but now I'd like to smell something different. So I know what you're going through. I'll take your word that some of my waxes have a nice scent.
    I dont eat healty all the time, There's still somethings I can remember what they taste like. As long as I have my mind, I'll still eat Reese's peanut butter cups!
    LOL.... I use to work for Allied Waste National Accounts for 9 years. If I was brd, being on vacation, I could go to one of our divisions in the US and ride on a commercial Roll-Off truck. When we would arrive at a landfill, everyone would say it smelled nasty. I would turn around and tell them, "Well, it smells wonderful to me". Everyone would turn around and look at me shocked. I then have to explan to them that I can't smell. toooo funny lol

As for taste, You and I can't taste BUT, I can sense some of the meals. I know when it's hot or cold. sweet or sour and then some. If it was a wonderful steak, from the past, I will not be able to taste it. Just sense it knowing what it was like. Does that make sense?
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

My ex could not smell at all even at a young age.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    Living down here in the Rio Grande Valley? Right....... Meals down here are more than 85% nasty Mexican food. I wish I could eat healthier foods, but, I can't get myself away from feeling depressed all the time. I detail vehicles to stay positive.

LOL.... I use to work for Allied Waste National Accounts for 9 years. If I was brd, being on vacation, I could go to one of our divisions in the US and ride on a commercial Roll-Off truck. When we would arrive at a landfill, everyone would say it smelled nasty. I would turn around and tell them, "Well, it smells wonderful to me". Everyone would turn around and look at me shocked. I then have to explan to them that I can't smell. toooo funny lol

As for taste, You and I can't taste BUT, I can sense some of the meals. I know when it's hot or cold. sweet or sour and then some. If it was a wonderful steak, from the past, I will not be able to taste it. Just sense it knowing what it was like. Does that make sense?
    So I'm NOT the only one! The other day I was atalking to a friend leaning against a trash can , then he leaned against it & said, PHEW!!! does that stink. Course I said, cant smell a thing! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I have very limited smell has to be very strong for me to smell. I had a brain tumor back in 2005. Had to have surgery and radiation treatments since then I can't hardly smell or taste much.