autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 60 of 92 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you Believe this is a Hyundai

while we don't know the exact reason(s) Tyrone Johnson (and others) left to pursue Hyundai/Kia, i can only guess it would be a combination/multiple of things on top of what's already been said...

1. not happy (or fulfilling) anymore with their present situation/job/company (ie. Albert Beirmann / BMW M Performance Division)
    2. felt like they done as much as they could and want to move on and start a clean slate on an up and coming brand (ie. N Division) where they have more freedom where previously the may have not and having that feeling/excitement all over again (like a little kid) to grow a new brand/division...

i''m sure many (Ford and his fans) are bummed that he left Ford, but i'm excited to see what he brings to the table with his experience/knowledge. with the Veloster N under the belt with rave reviews, can't wait to see what's next! definitely won't be boring when you are among the ranks with the best in the industry...

Post Thanks / Like

Lead Ford Focus RS Engineer Headed to Hyundai as Brand Looks to Performance Models: Report - The Drive

Update, April 12: A Hyundai spokesperson confirmed to The Drive that Tyrone Johnson has indeed been brought aboard the Korean automaker. Contrary to previous reports, this is not a new development, as Johnson was hired last August, and he will not be directly replacing Albert Biermann in his former role of Head of Vehicle Integration in Europe. In his position as a team leader for vehicle testing and development, Johnson's primary duty is to bring Hyundai products in line with European buyers' desires, not exclusively to develop performance models. Original article below.
    Tyrone Johnson, formerly the vehicle engineering manager for Ford Performance, has reportedly taken a job with Hyundai-Kia. Johnson was the lead man for developing the beloved Ford Focus RS, and now, it seems as if Hyundai may be putting him to work on a go-fast megastar of its own.
    According to Autocar, Johnson has assumed the position of Head of Vehicle Integration, filling a hole left by Albert Biermann when he ascended to a lead role in Hyundai's research and development wing.

Biermann formerly headed BMW's sporting "M" division and has been instrumental in Hyundai's campaign to increase its sporting credibility with car enthusiasts. He helped kickstart Hyundai's "N" performance sub-brand with the well-received Veloster N, i30 N, and soon, a possible 340-horsepower Tucson N. Biermann also influenced the Kia Stinger GT as well as the most approachable model of Hyundai's premium marque Genesis, the G70.

As Biermann's successor, Johnson will have big shoes to fill, but his portfolio from Ford Performance makes him look capable of the job. Where and when his influence will be first seen isn't certain, though it's likely that Johnson will at least in some way be involved in Hyundai's halo car project, whose existence was confirmed in 2018 by the company's Executive Vice President of High Performance Vehicles, Thomas Schemera. Schemera has described the model as an "exotic" vehicle that will be "in the super sports segment," meaning it'll be a supercar. He pointed to a mid-engined Hyundai concept car called the RM16 N as an example of what Hyundai could do, so it's reasonable to expect whatever's in the works to be a two-seater supercar.

Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes Klasse Act, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Venue, the new Sonata, special edition Stinger, G70,Telluride, Pallisade, Kona, new Forte, Veloster, N-line trims, upcoming N model and hopefully an entire line of Genesis SUV/CUV's (a necessary evil today)...just get the F out of the way

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

6. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My "Korean Audi" out in the sun this morningCan you Believe this is a Hyundai

It was asked how they're able to "steal away" these visionaries from other companies and it's no coincidence that these guys are from the performance wings of those companies either. I think it's because they wanna make a legit mark on their current cars and then be ready for what's coming down the pipeline as well. I mean once you make your mark now there's going to be NO DOUBT about the next wave, imagine the buzz for future products!

Look at what this company has done since 2011, I believe that's when the Sonata recieved an awesome restyle, haven't looked back since! Look at how many exciting vehicles, including CARS, they've come out with latelyCan you Believe this is a Hyundai

Post Thanks / Like

Hyundai hires the guy that developed the Ford Focus RS - Auto News

As Biermann’s successor, Johnson has some big shoes to fill. Considering his portfolio at Ford Performance though and having been with Ford Motor Company for 33 years, he does fit right at home and is more than capable of doing the job at Hyundai. With the former Focus RS chief engineer now at Hyundai, the South Korean marque now has a growing asset of famed engineers and designers in the company.

wow, didn't realize he was with Ford that long!

9. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Can you Believe this is a Hyundai

Just incase we get someone who's not following things completely, Albert Biermann got a promotion within the company, just sayin'. I wonder if an AWD Veloster N is coming down the line, wouldn't surprise me one bit, this company just continues to raise the bar!!

11. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if adding AWD to a Veloster N is a good idea. My vote would be to continue refining and improving the platform as-is. Great handling FWD cars at an economical price point is not a bad thing. Ford, VW, Honda, and now Hyundia seem to make the formula work quite well.

While AWD has advantages at times, the downside in a performance car is the added cost, complexity, weight, and change in weight balance. If Hyundia is looking to make their N cars like the Veloster and i3 nimble cars that will dance through the corners, AWD might not be the right way to go. VW has this same issue with the Golf. Despite the added power and AWD, the Golf R isn't a huge leap in performance over a GTI due to the added weight. It is a better performer, but not as much as you'd think.

Honestly in the BMW 3 Series and Lexus IS 350 F Sports I've driven in both AWD and RWD, I'd take the RWD any day. The driving experience was far better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

So my buddy Josh in Tennessee is so mad about Ford's direction that he voted with his pocketbook. First he sold off his 2016 Mustang GT and then he traded in his Focus ST (DD) for this:

In the 2nd pic it received its first washCan you Believe this is a Hyundai

14. Likes MadMerc, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Seoul Speed SocietyCan you Believe this is a HyundaiCan you Believe this is a Hyundai

Oh and BTW, my SXTH Element CPLT intake and SXTH Element intercooler resonator delete pipe are going to be installed by my buddy Hectour today, someone who's really trying to join the SSS himselfCan you Believe this is a Hyundai

16. Likes Coatingsarecrack, VISITOR, SWETM liked this post
Page 60 of 92 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast