autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealership Detailer hourly rate??

Were I work part time they send all the used cars out to get detailed. They pay 80.00 to 100.00 per car depending on how big the car or suv is. The new cars we do get spray wax if a light color and if its black they will get a hand wax.

Post Thanks / Like

you are lucky to get that rate. We have very few delerships still in operation here in western NC and the sales mngr acted like I was crazy for wanting $75 a car in and out. they would rather pay some highschool kid for minimum wage. other dealerships pay $10 an hour here. due to the economy they get ppl to do it for their price. the old saying you pay for what you get is so true. The private market is where we have to make our money here. I have seen cars come out of dealerships still with crumbs in between the seats.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked as a used car detailer at dealerships for a few years and it was not rewarding at all. You bust your ass for little pay. I worked flat rate and really had to bust a hump to make any money. I was paid 3 hours per car, that was it. Some cars were sent out for detail at about $80 per car, and not done very well. At dealerships it is all about turnaround. The faster they were cleaned up, the sooner they went on the lot. the only reaon I worked at dealerships for so long was beacause there was always work to do. Who wants to pay for a full detail in the middle of Winter? I truly enjoy detailing cars, but when you are told to do them as fast as you can, and no one cares what it looks like when you are done, it was time to step away. I work on cars on the side from my home, and I enjoy it now more than ever. It is a lot less like work, and more for enjoyment that pays.

Post Thanks / Like

Nissan dealer I am at the "detailers" make 9 to 9.50 hr. But that's only for the ocassional buff job their pay is more per job. New cars sold come with a "free" washh and wax done e very 6 months for 3 yrs called a Paint Renewel they get paid $14 to do it, an exterior wash for a customer that spends a few bucks is called a Free Wash and pays $7. New car prep includes remove plastic, wash, wax, clean windows apply Rain Xand tidy up interior pays $28 add a pin stripe another $9. Used cars get an A clean which is wash, carpet shampoo (tuff stuff sprayed on), interior vac and leaned, suppose to do a 1 step polish and wax plus clean engine pays $28. I help my detailers out by makin sure my loaners are always clean so they get a quick was but detailer gets paid a Paint Renewel, any customer that spends some coin i ay detailer a Pain Renewel and tell them a quick wash and vac. So one of the guys there I use often makes about 3 to 4k a month.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me crazy, but I think $12 an hour is pretty gracious. There's guys around here in my area working for less.

Obviously that rate doesn't compare to working for yourself. But for someone just starting out who wants to gain experience...that's a great way to get into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this thread and for the most part everything is on point. I was recently hired at Lexus to "detail" cars. I'm just doing this for maybe a year till I get enough clients where I won't have to worry about paying bills.

And Mike I got to meet Lenny, he does work for Lexus sometimes and we got to talk a few times. Great guy and gave me some helpful tips. I also asked him if he ever need help, don't hesitate and call. It's a small world.

Post Thanks / Like

What about detailers at places like BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus.
    Do they make more money?
    How much do you think they make per hour?

There is a opening for a detailer job at my local Mercedez, I was thinking about applying for it, even though I just bought all this stuff to start up my own business.
    Maybe I can work for them during the week and myself on the weekend.
    Do you think they would allow that. or forbid that in the contract?

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked at the local ford dealer for 4 years. It's a smaller dealership and they cared what the cars looked like so I had to do good work on all of the cars. After busting my butt for them all those years I got up to $9.50/hr. Started out at minimum wage which was $7.15. But I finally had enough and told them I wanted more money or I'm leaving and of course they didn't want to pay more so I bought a bunch of supplies from AG to do it on my own. I knew nothing about detailing when I was hired but I caught on quick and knew there were better ways so I looked online and did lots of reading. It was a good experience working there though, just sucks cuz I busted my butt an got paid squat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    What about detailers at places like BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus.
    Do they make more money?
    How much do you think they make per hour?

There is a opening for a detailer job at my local Mercedez, I was thinking about applying for it, even though I just bought all this stuff to start up my own business.
    Maybe I can work for them during the week and myself on the weekend.
    Do you think they would allow that. or forbid that in the contract?

from what i have seen it dont really matter what type of cars the dealership sells. i had an interview at a used car dealership and even with my 15 years experience(which the manager told me was more than what his whole detail staff had put together) he only wantedto give me $13/hr. this dealership sold Lambo's, Audi R8 ,Ferrari ,Bently etc......... and they still did not want to pay any type of good money

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a Audi dealership as a technician, every co-worker knows what I do. I get my own special parking away from everyone else ( because I complain that someone touched my car ) with security camera facing my car while im at work. If we get a customer that's picky, the managers sends me referrals. I even PDI picky customers cars. I think my dealership cares if you speak up or else its sent to our detailer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast