autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommedations for entry level car to show

For kicks I've been kicking around getting some kind of vehicle to possibly show. The thinking is competition in doing new things to it and finding out what others do.

I've never really been to a car show so I'm starting from square one. Starting out, I'm not getting a high car as I may want to experiment with wet sanding or other things and I'd rather do on a 8 to 20k car versus a 30k plus car.

I'm in charlotte, NC so have to find out what kinds of shows, categories etc I could get into.

Plus even though I like HP, stereo's etc, not what I'm looking to do. I just want to compete on making a relatively stock car look good. Maybe change the wheels or something minor but don't want to have to get braided hoses, soup it up to 800 hp or anything like that to compete and be competitive.

There may not even be class like that but I've seen some pix of what look to be really cared for factory autos in some shows and kind of peaked my interest.

So with that said, interested in car suggestions that would be cost effective to compete in a factory type category that doesn't allow many mods.

Off the cuff I've thought about Nissan 350Z maybe the latest Rx7 body style. Possibly a late model Mustang or some of the Acura models. Maybe even a SI Civic

Any ideas, tips, suggestions to think about would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommedations for entry level car to show

I've been to a lot of shows, and can tell you this. To compete seriously - you have to drop way more cash than you want to.

There are Pro's and Con's to the two categories of vehicles: Newer and Older.

Newer cars.
    Pro's: Easy to get into, plenty of aftermarket parts if you pick the right one, bodywork usually isn't necessary, and you have lots of choices. Not to mention that you can keep it show quality relatively easily because it is newer and easier to maintain.

Con's: All the pro's listed above (everyone has the same opportunities as you, just some with more money to blow), there are usually a lot of people to "compete" against, unless you spend A LOT of money - you aren't going to really have anything unique.

Older Cars.
    Pro's: Easy to make unique, tons of aftermarket stuff available, high value (generally), not run of the mill.

Con's: More expense in getting to show quality (understatement), more expensive, and everything costs more. Not to mention the added cost for a show quality one. Oh, and often you need to perform more work to get it show worthy, which is expensive.

Ask me which of the two I have.

First thing you need to do is find out where your passion is. Is it in imports? Domestic Tuner? Classic Muscle? There are varying degrees of competition in the various classes - and if you don't have a passion for the kind of car you are showing, you will not be winning much (probably). The passion shows through the car.

If it were me, I would do a truck - but that's because generally I like the crowd better at the truck shows. Trust me - there are plenty of good trucks to work with, and tons of competition no matter where you go. And to boot - you end up with a slick truck!

Now you said you'd like to stick to stock sans wheels or something. There are classes like that - but not much so for the newer cars because, well, anyone could go get a car off the showroom floor, change wheels and win money that way.

That's why there are the 2 categories. New cars are usually heavily modded. Older cars (which can be a 2000 model now) can be really well upkept and nice, or heavily modded and nice.

Here's my old piece:

DLB
    Last edited by DLB; 12-16-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DLB View Post

Here's my old piece:

DLB

That is so nice...

Post Thanks / Like

"old piece????" Yeah right, truck looks great and thanks for the response.

Since I posted I started looking at local car clubs. I found a camaro one a member got best of show at a pretty large show that comes around here to my understanding. It was a 2002 Camaro SS. The car looks bone stock, just meticulous clean. I've seen a couple of other posts on forums as well again, the cars look stock, just really clean and shiny.

That's kind of what I'm talking about. A class where only judging factor is how good you can make the vehicle look by detailing and not how many after market parts you can add on or customizations you can do. I realize there you get into the realm of deepest pockets win. Why I was hoping their was a detailing type class and it was just about the cleanest car with best shine. (PRoblem there with a used car is probably finding a car with great paint or having to repaint.)

Also, I don't care about the large shows. Just something the things that come around. Thoughts on maybe checking out the car clubs and joining one and participating in their internal stuff and maybe go to a large one that comes around? Are you in a truck club and have internal competitions or do you more go to the regional and national type shows.

Also, I assume there are different factors. I have one friend with a TA that competes with a daily driver. I would hope there are classes for DD's versus garage queens as if not it would be tough to compete.

A camaro club appears to include F all camaro's, TA's, Firebirds etc. Problem is, about the only camaro's I like were the 60's and now the new ones.

Why can't I ever find a simple hobby that interests me????

Post Thanks / Like

Well, too bad you don't like the 4th Gen F-Bodies, as they are great vehicles (had one of those too). And they are easy to build with lots of parts out there.

I am not in a club. I like to stay relatively unaffiliated so that I don't feel like I have any more obligations. I don't show much anymore, but when I did a lot, I would always do local shows and then a couple of trips to Pigeon Forge through the year (one of the most popular show cities in the nation). I think PF is about 4 hours for you (it's a little over 2 for me) - so it isn't as accessible - but I would guess Charlotte has a good show scene too.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

I go to a ton of shows with the Chevelle every year and I can tell you that the only real thing you should worry about is if you are having fun. I see a ton of people that I call "trophy hunters" and they really dont have that much fun. Now getting your car all detailed up and receiving a trophy is great, I just dont think that should be your only reason for doing it all. I am in a local club and we meet up, hang out all day, and its more about fun then just trying to get a $5 trophy that I am going to just box up and put away. With that being said I would personally say look into some older muscle. Nothing wrong with the newer cars(I daily a 350z) I just think an older car is much more original and funner to have myself. Plus with most older cars you will probably be watching it appreciate opposed to watching a new car deprecciate. The biggest downside is that an older car is probably gonna cost you more in the long run and be a lot more work. It all just comes to what makes you happy though. Nice truck DLB, my brother has a 68 SWB Chevy!!
    Chevelle

68 c10

1967 Chevelle SS
    2004 Nissan 350Z
    2003 GSXR 600

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think judges look at how much horsepower you have. I thinks its about the workman ship and quality of the work. Like DLD said "The passion shows through the car". Great way of saying too. Im in the process of making my 86 Mustang a show car. I took it to one show in October and got 2nd place in the 79-93 class. The car is nice but no show quality. Thats all it took though and now im hooked. Its now become a new passion to see how nice I can get the car. Also many thanks to all on here and Mike Phillips for all the advise to help get my car to where I want it to be. I met Mike at a GTG in Dallas a little over a month ago. Very nice, profesional, and full of knowledge!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Recommedations for entry level car to show

Well, I'm going to turn this around on you. I'm sure you are not detailing vehicles for a living, correct?

Now, are you able to show TWO VEHICLES at a car show? If so:

#1) Do you know any car dealerships? If so, get a used vehicle they purchased at an auction. Tape the vehicle in half and only detail one side and leave the other side also. Find a Black or Red vehicle.

#2) I'm SURE that many people in your area are NASCAR Folks. Use a 2nd vehicle as a sport coupe. Detail the heck out of that vehicle.

Just make sure that each of the two vehicles are parked next to one another. While people look at the used vehicle, advise them what you did to the look to restore its appearance.

My $.02
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

For small shows in the Charlotte & surrounding areas checkout Koss Motorsports.
    Koss Motorsports -=- Home They do alot of smaller shows in both NC & SC. Nice group of friendly folks that compete & are very helpful. They really do create a laid back atmosphere, unlike the bigger shows.

Since you live in Charlotte, I'm sure your aware of the "Food Lion Auto-Fair" which takes place twice a year @ "LMS". You can find alot of aftermarket mod's, products, car's for sale,etc. This is where the Big Boy's play & all the top Manf. are present. They have multiple car shows for different classes. Over 14K vendors are present.

Should you choose the Mustang, I would reccomend you take a short drive down to Fort Mill SC & visit Pro Dyno ask for Dan or Rob. They do alot of tuning for all the ford guy's (Mustangs, Lightnings, F-150's, etc.) & every now & then they do run across some deals. I personally know a guy that dropped 72K in his car & had to sale it for 30K. That ride was SHOW & GO ready trust me.
    Pro-Dyno.net | Mobile Dyno Tuning Service

Me personally I've attend thousands of car shows & entered and won over 200 pieces of plastic that sit's in the garage that I dust on occassions. One thing I can tell you for SURE, you never know what a Judge is looking for!!! I've won National, Regional & Local shows. I LOVE local shows, they are the best due to the fact that I'm just there to have a goodtime, meet new people, learn a new trick technique, drink a beer, & just relax. I wish you the best in your new hobby.

A very wise man told me this: How Fast do you want to go & How good do you wanna look, it's all MONEY$$$.

Last edited by detaildave; 12-17-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats one sweet Chevelle you have SuperSport. My BIL has a 66 SS 396 4spd in Marina Blue.

As far as shows go, I prefer the 50's and 60's and 70's stuff, but to each his own. Money is always a big factor. The more I polish on my Nova, the more I need to save for a new paint job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast