autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member mobiledr.detail313's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for detailers at delerships.....long read

First of all happy new years to all autogeekers! I havent posted in a while due to different things going on but still been keeping my head up. First im mad at myself for not backing up my detailing pics to at least a flashdrive, my laptop hard drive died completely on me and i was unable to retreive none of my pics even had geek squad@best buy try and was willing to pay they rediculous fee for it but they couldnt either, so hundred of pics is gone (i was ready to show out on here but this year that wont happen again) Well let me get this post going:

I live in Michigan so right now making any decent money is impossible as iam a mobile detailer full time and since i didnt budget my money right last year i was unable to relocate to north carolina to live and work there(drove my van down there january 2008 stayed with family and did a lil advertising and before you know i was almost at a $1000 per week came back to michigan in april)

So anyway i applied for a detailing/prep job at a pontiac delership here in michigan and after showing my certificate for auto detailing and detailing a used car for them they were impressed and hired me. They informed me they pay commision rate of $12.50 per hour, so i said to myself cool at least its something to do instead of no working at all and if i like the job and bi-weekly pay ill keep it and when april/may hit i can wash cars during the week and do full details saturday n sunday. So when i started they told me they only pay up to 3 hours for cars and 4 for suv's and trucks and these are full details they want: engine cleaning, buff n wax, interior shampoing and cleaning(so in my mind im like how can you put a time limit on something like that without interfering with quality.

And some of the cars ive done for them(been here for a lil over a month now) have been horrible n filthy, you gotta figure these are cars people trade in to get a new one so you can just imagine what some of these vehicles look like..so lets just say it these vehicles dont get the "pinnacle" look/shine but i still make em where they put em on the used car lot and get looked at by shoppers(i can almost say out of the 10-15 vehicles ive full detailed 7-8 are not on the lot no more)

Sorry if its taking to long to get straight to the point...just wanted to lay the outline out. Now me personally i charge for a full detail between any type of vehicle from $135-$250 sometimes more than the $250 if its going to take me 2 days to complete. But i knew not to expect those kinds of rates from a dealership, i have even detailed for a few USED CAR LOTS/DEALERSHIPS and they would pay me $35 to wash, clean and dress the interior, dress tires, spot clean fairly new carpet time spent would just over a hour and this was to deliver a car for customer, and they would pay between $85-$100 for the same with a coat of wax(no compounding or polishing) so it just amazes me what a NEW car dealership pay to get they cars sold.

lol... so finally my questions:

Do you who work for dealers get this same pay rate?
    Do they give you a time limit on the cars you clean?
    Are you on commision or get paid for every hour you on they clock?
    Do you give a full detail your "all" or just get it enough to hit the lot?
    Do you like the products they provide you with?...(oh the products they provide me thats another post in itself..lol)

I forgot to add one thing for a new car delivery they pay 1 hour commision pay rate..that consisit of removing 100000 stickers, vacumming and a full hand wash, dress tires, put on any accersories that come with the car,checking the tire pressure.

Also they pay 1 hour per day to wipe down the cars in the showroom no matter if its 5 cars or 9 cars.

So bottom line if i clock in 45 plus hours on the clock and only do a few new car deliverys a week and 2 details a week my total payable hours could very well be 18-20 hours@$12.50. Do you guys/girls think i should stick it out or look for something that pays for every hour you on they time?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for detailers at delerships.....long read

Well being across the river from you and moble also i feel your pain. I work at a parts plant part-time for extra cash, pay may not be the best but some better than none. Stick with it for now spring is coming!

Post Thanks / Like

If the drive isn't totally toast there is still a chance. Does it spin up at all? What is the make and model?

PM me - maybe I can help.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Linux Reg. User #206357 (Feb. '99)
    "Can't get there from here."

Post Thanks / Like

@gewb??? maybe wrong thread didnt understand your response

@mazda thanks for responding, spring cant get here fast enough...

Post Thanks / Like

The only way you can make a living detail cars at a dealer is if your in the union.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    The only way you can make a living detail cars at a dealer is if your in the union.
    I never heard of a union for detailers...can you explain this and by the way this is a pontiac/gmc dealership

Post Thanks / Like

most car cleaners locally in South Florida dealerships are lotboys and have very little experience. Basic washing, maybe a wax is about all your gonna get. Likely paid by the hour and maybe a tip or two from a salesman trying to move a unit quickly or "spoting" it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledr.detail313 View Post
    I never heard of a union for detailers...can you explain this and by the way this is a pontiac/gmc dealership
    There was a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in my town that had 5 guys detailing used cars and 2 of them were union and made much more money then the other guys . There was also a Chevy dealer that had a detailer that was union. I dont know what there job discriptions were but they were union.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledr.detail313 View Post
    I live in Michigan so right now making any decent money is impossible as iam a mobile detailer full time
    What dealership are you working for? Where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    What dealership are you working for? Where do you live?
    I work in oakland county @ a pontiac/gmc dealership but i live in detroit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast