autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Economy Discussion

Hey everyone! Just started my online class! Econ II.
    Our first assignment was to do a discussion board on the economy.
    Here is what I had to say. Keep in mind that I am not aware of everything that is going on in the world. Just seeing what yall think.

I want to know what you think should be done to set the US economy right?

To set the economy right is not only going to take some time, but also many actions by the government and citizens alike. Some that have crossed my mind are:
    1. The government taking over the oil companies that have billions of dollars worth of profits. This could lead to a nation wide price per gallon of fuel and eliminate any gauging. This also could provide a steady cost of groceries and all other consumer goods whose manufactures use gas to power their vehicles(ALL OF THEM!!!).
    2. We as citizens being more responsible about our money. Putting it where it needs to be such as towards any loans or credit cards we may have run up. I know of many people that get new vehicles every year. That is completely unnecessary unless they have the money to do it.
    3. Citizens on welfare actually do something for the money they are receiving. This could open up new jobs that the government can create. This is a huge waste if all they are going to do is sit on there rear ends! I know that some cannot work and that is understandable, but many just don't care and are too lazy to take action and make something of themselves.
    4. The government do something about the depreciating value of our DOLLAR!
    5. Last but not the least by any means we need to allow God to reign over this country instead of driving him out of schools and offices!!!!!!! This is our foundation!!!

What should be the role of the federal government in making credit available, helping those whose homes may be in foreclosure, job loss prevention, etc.

As far as making credit available.. I went to get a loan out several months ago just to build some credit and get a new computer. They denied me and said they would have to watch my paycheck for 6 months and based on that they would decide. (Had been working at lowes for only a week) This is what they should do! I was angry at first, but now I am glad because it is keeping anyone that isn't intending on paying them back away. Bankruptcy is a loss for everyone and should be eliminated by any means. It adds up! Forclosure homes should be given some slack, but not too much because it is human nature to take advantage of anything and we would. Some already have and everything has its breaking point. The recent losses of jobs is a huge upset. I dont really know what the government is going to do about this. If they keep bailing everyone out, the companies will take advantage of it and small businesses will want bailouts also.

What should we be doing to get the economy performing again?

Some things were mentioned above.
    Praying!!!
    Pro-Life! The more people we have the better!
    Spending responsibly because we need to keep the money circulating!
    Working hard and giving life all we have!
    Not being lazy. Get up and jog. We need to be a healthy nation.(I really do think this would help)
    Help one another through the hard times!

That is all I have I think. Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean to if I did.
    Jesus loves you!
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Economy Discussion

We would save trillions if we got out of Iraq. Us that money towards our own country. Oil companies are mostly(big ones) owned by foriegn companies(BP, Shell, Citgo). We'd start a war by taking them over.

There are educated people out there without jobs. I think giving the jobs to the people on welfare only is discrimination. Granted I think they should do something for the money. Maybe charity work.

As for god in schools and work. It should be allowed. This country was founded on that. Lets let americans go to the middle east, and tell them not to allow the muslim religion to be preached in school. Or no afternoon prayer. We would be shot!! I like how the muslim don't want to take their head scarfs off for driver's liscense photo's. I like to see what they would do if we went over there and tried that.

Post Thanks / Like

You learn something new everyday... I assumed we owned the oil companies since their stations are everywhere in the US. Thank you for that info! Like you said about charity work... That is what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean create a paying job for them. Just create something for them to do in order to get their check.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think having the govt take over the oil will do anything... those oil companies employ more and more people as they profit...

i think less interaction is going to end up being better... the problem we have is from housing and people getting loans they cant afford... the banks then dont have money to loan small business and other businesses, and we get what we have now...

as for god, i would disagree... i understand that some people prefer to have god taught in a public school, but i dont see why my tax dollars should go for teaching a jewish kid and an atheist kid about something that their parents tell them otherwise. for the pro-life, i also disagree, i feel if there were less unwanted kids born into bad situations, things might turn around for some... (speaking from someone who knows people who did turn around post abortion and become good people)
    GTI-S1000R-R1250GS

Post Thanks / Like

when you applied for the loan you should have told them that you were
    unemployed, living in government housing, and single supporting
    three kids--result--they would have told you that there was a government
    program just for you, provided you with a free computer(and free training) to use in your free housing, and then told you not to worry about paying it
    back, because that's what people working and paying taxes are for.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I deal with these questions day in and day out on my position within the financial industries, I am not going to answer everything here as nowhere near the time, space, nor way to convey thoughts on an internet properly. Here a couple items I would suggest to anyone that might just help our economy and more importantly the world we live within going forward.

1. Live within your means. You dont need to impress your neighbors with the newest cars in the driveaway especially if you needed to lease them to afford the payment. Work hard, save, and then enjoy the fruits of your labor once you can afford to do so.

2. If you have made an error in finances or cannot afford something you purchased the own up to it. Nobody owes you a free ride because something you bought declined in value or you gambled and errored on judgement. Make amends, move forward, and learn from your mistakes. If you were taken advantage of, speak up, but also understand you might have some culpibility for not understanding what you were getting into and failed to ask for sound advice from family, attorneys, and accountants.

3. Take some time out to enjoy dinner with the family and kids consistently. Make a point to move back to family time and offering your children a way to learn from your mistakes and mimic your best results. Family comes first, always should, and if you honestly think your employer values you more than your kids you are mistaken. (how about a tax credit for a family that keeps one partner home to provide a stable environment for everyone within the unit). Religion of your choice should/can be included in this.

The world needs more fix that simply the economy. Greed is a common theme in all we do and in corporate America. We speak ethics out of one side, and yet allow the ink to flow on the other. The dollar is a means to an end not the end of all means !
    Last edited by ScottB; 01-31-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The government that governs best governs least. For the government to take over the oil companies give them the right to decide not only what you pay for gas but how much you can buy, then they will tell you what kind of car you can own, which they're trying to do now with taxation and dictating to the carmakers what kind of cars "we want".

I only expect three things from the government...

Deliver my mail;
    Defend my shores;
    Leave me the Hell alone!

Post Thanks / Like

the new stimulus plan includes funds to provide healthcare to illegal
    aliens, as well as giving them a stimulus check???

Post Thanks / Like

1. The government taking over the oil companies that have billions of dollars worth of profits. This could lead to a nation wide price per gallon of fuel and eliminate any gauging. This also could provide a steady cost of groceries and all other consumer goods whose manufactures use gas to power their vehicles(ALL OF THEM!!!).

>>>I agree with one of the previous posts about limited government. They should be involved with national security, equal rights and justice. The less the government is involved, the better. Look what they've already messed up: Social Security, Medicare, Welfare. I know there have been occurrences of gouging with limited supply, but for the most part, oil is priced like most commodities (food, housing) and is based on supply vs demand. Barriers to entry into oil exploration and refinement are very high (hostile governments, deep sea rigs, transport). Why don't you think they should be making profit? That is the American way! Don't like the price of gas? Get a hybrid, a shorter commute, ride a bike. No one is forcing you to buy gas.

2. We as citizens being more responsible about our money. Putting it where it needs to be such as towards any loans or credit cards we may have run up. I know of many people that get new vehicles every year. That is completely unnecessary unless they have the money to do it.

>>>And now they are paying for it. I'm fine with people being irresponsible with their money, I'm not if they need to be bailed out by me and other taxpayers!! Government bailouts are just delaying the inevitable crash of the consumer culture and personal/corporate financial irresponsibility.

3. Citizens on welfare actually do something for the money they are receiving. This could open up new jobs that the government can create. This is a huge waste if all they are going to do is sit on there rear ends! I know that some cannot work and that is understandable, but many just don't care and are too lazy to take action and make something of themselves.

>>>I agree they should do something, but the government does not give them incentive to do so. If illegal immigrants are coming to this country to pick the crops, work as day laborers, wash dishes and clean offices/hotels and don't even know the language, I don't see why people on welfare can't do the same. Get rid of two problems at once and have the welfare recipients do the work of the illegals. Hard work and low pay are huge incentives to better yourself through education and job skill training.

>>>Too late. It's the beginning of the end of the American Empire. We are too indebted to other countries to have our foreign/economic policies be enforced with any teeth. Same thing happened to Great Britain before WWII. They were driven into so much debt, that they had to borrow and give up their power and influence in many parts of the world. Great Britain was the superpower since the late 16th century; we've only been around since 1776.

5. Last but not the least by any means we need to allow God to reign over this country instead of driving him out of schools and offices!!!!!!! This is our foundation!!!

>>>Strong believer in separation of church and state. Believe what you want to believe at home/church. Don't force it on others. This country was founded on CAPITALISM and PERSONAL FREEDOMS. "No taxation without representation", Boston Tea Party were the founding movements of our government and country. First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congressional establishment of a religion over another religion through Law and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

The financial bailout working it's way though congress is NOT the way to go IMHO. So much for "change". The only difference is that the party affiliation is Democrat. Everyone is still pandering to the special interests of their party vs putting the interest of the country FIRST!

I believe the country is too fractured ideologically to get the problem solved.

We may need to let the system crash so that we can start over, like a Windows reboot.

Sorry if I've offended anyone. Just my feelings on the topics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by useth4z View Post

>>>I agree with one of the previous posts about limited government. They should be involved with national security, equal rights and justice. The less the government is involved, the better. Look what they've already messed up: Social Security, Medicare, Welfare. I know there have been occurrences of gouging with limited supply, but for the most part, oil is priced like most commodities (food, housing) and is based on supply vs demand. Barriers to entry into oil exploration and refinement are very high (hostile governments, deep sea rigs, transport). Why don't you think they should be making profit? That is the American way! Don't like the price of gas? Get a hybrid, a shorter commute, ride a bike. No one is forcing you to buy gas.

>>>And now they are paying for it. I'm fine with people being irresponsible with their money, I'm not if they need to be bailed out by me and other taxpayers!! Government bailouts are just delaying the inevitable crash of the consumer culture and personal/corporate financial irresponsibility.

>>>I agree they should do something, but the government does not give them incentive to do so. If illegal immigrants are coming to this country to pick the crops, work as day laborers, wash dishes and clean offices/hotels and don't even know the language, I don't see why people on welfare can't do the same. Get rid of two problems at once and have the welfare recipients do the work of the illegals. Hard work and low pay are huge incentives to better yourself through education and job skill training.

>>>Too late. It's the beginning of the end of the American Empire. We are too indebted to other countries to have our foreign/economic policies be enforced with any teeth. Same thing happened to Great Britain before WWII. They were driven into so much debt, that they had to borrow and give up their power and influence in many parts of the world. Great Britain was the superpower since the late 16th century; we've only been around since 1776.

>>>Strong believer in separation of church and state. Believe what you want to believe at home/church. Don't force it on others. This country was founded on CAPITALISM and PERSONAL FREEDOMS. "No taxation without representation", Boston Tea Party were the founding movements of our government and country. First Amendment: addresses the rights of freedom of religion (prohibiting Congressional establishment of a religion over another religion through Law and protecting the right to free exercise of religion), freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, and freedom of petition.

The financial bailout working it's way though congress is NOT the way to go IMHO. So much for "change". The only difference is that the party affiliation is Democrat. Everyone is still pandering to the special interests of their party vs putting the interest of the country FIRST!

I believe the country is too fractured ideologically to get the problem solved.

We may need to let the system crash so that we can start over, like a Windows reboot.

Sorry if I've offended anyone. Just my feelings on the topics.
    You have some very good points

2007 Honda Civic SI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast