autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Color Sanding

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Color Sanding

I'm curious if anyone has done any color sanding in their detailing and what all is involved in doing it properly. Any help is welcomed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Color Sanding

Colour Sanding / Polishing:

Years ago it was called colour sanding because automotive paints were single-stage (primer and a colour coat) and when the finish faded from ultra violet radiation (UVR) exposure, sanding off the oxidized paint thereby exposing the underlying paint would bring back the paint surface colour. Then, as now, most sanding was done wet so the terms colour sanding, wet sanding and as all these process involves a sanding block, block sanding all became interchangeable whether you were sanding for colour or for a level surface.

The secret to a Concours d'elegance winning paint finish is colour-sanding (before wet-sanding paint show vehicle owners often have an extra 2.5 mils to 3.0 mils of clear applied).
    This kind of work should only be undertaken by a very experienced enthusiast or a professional detailer; experienced in colour-sanding (wet-sanding) more so than detailing, as this is more a paint renovation technique that takes years to perfect.

The paint sections / panels that are difficult and involve risk are usually those that are close to the edges of a panel (as this is where the paint is usually thinnest) or highly contoured areas. Flat areas like the trunk, hood or roof involve minimal risk.

For more information see the “Colour _ Wet-Sanding” article; one of a collection of detailing articles I’ve written for #############; a series of informative, knowledge based, unbiased articles dedicated to automotive detailing

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done some wetsanding before with good results. The best tip I have is to keep the area well lubricated and work very slowly. I accidently went down to primer around the edge of a hood, and it sucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Wetsanded my hood with Meguires 2000/3000 unigrit sand paper, the trick is to use backing pad and going in one direction. Finished it up with a PC.
    This user has been banned for being too awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I had the graphics put on my windows. I had magnetic signage on my truck. I did not realize that the signs had scratched the doors of my truck. After much research and questions, I finally wet sanded both passenger doors. I would suggest that a sanding block be used, plenty of water, short stroke motions, water squeggy, and check your progress often. It can be done,and your results can be very good.
    I also attended a Training at Detailking. I actually sanded some fairly deep scratches out of the hood of a black Caddy.
    Last edited by Showroom Shine; 11-13-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've rarely had to wet sand any of my detailing jobs. Of those I have done they have been classic cars that were re-sprayed and had lots of orange peel. I grew up with a body shop in my back yard and started wet sanding and buffing cars for my father at age 13-14. Most new cars don't have enough material on them so I limit wet sanding only for RIDS that the owner may want out. I don't own a PTG so it's something I do with caution on factory paint.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/