autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nitrogen in tires?

With today’s gas prices, I wonder if this really works. Last Wednesday I had nitrogen put in my tires. It cost me 30 bucks, is it worth it? I don't know, I hope so. I drive 44 miles a day to work 5 to 7 days a week, depends on my schedule. They told me at the tire place that some are reporting two more miles per gallon. We will see....

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nitrogen in tires?

Hey Sparkie keep us informed. I've read the difference is so slight that the $30.00 you spent isn't worth it. Good luck guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had it done in truck for two sets of tires, and on fathers car. I dont believe the gas issue as not noticed, but I will note they dont lose pressure anywhere as fast as prior. Less than one pound each tire per oil change interval. After first purchase (20.00) my mechanic is covering us for life of truck.

Post Thanks / Like

the only real pro to N2 in tires is that theres no condensation in the tire when filling it up

happends when a compressor sits full too long
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, ive heard the only real benefit from N2 is that it tires maintain pressure for much longer periods of time...which could lead to MPG increase for people who dont check often.

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie,

As you can tell from my nick, I'm a bit of a hypermiler. I hang out at greenhybrid.com and cleanmpg.com a lot. The only advantage to running nitrogen in your tires is the pressure will not increase as much as they will with normal air while running at speed.

This will allow you to run increased pressure in your tires without having a major problem (blowing the tire off of the rim at speed). Having said that, most of us do NOT run nitrogen in our tires. We do check them 1 to 2 times a week with a VERY accurate gauge. My DD is a Camry Hybrid that "by the book" should be running 32 psi in the tires. The maximum "cold inflation pressure" on the sidewalls is called out at 51 psi. I use a happy medium of 42 psi, have a good turn in response on the tires, have even wear and the tires run 20 degrees cooler than at 32 psi.

Of course it helps when you keep it clean and slick to cut down air resistance with some of the products here at AG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
    Sparkie,

As you can tell from my nick, I'm a bit of a hypermiler. I hang out at greenhybrid.com and cleanmpg.com a lot. The only advantage to running nitrogen in your tires is the pressure will not increase as much as they will with normal air while running at speed.

This will allow you to run increased pressure in your tires without having a major problem (blowing the tire off of the rim at speed). Having said that, most of us do NOT run nitrogen in our tires. We do check them 1 to 2 times a week with a VERY accurate gauge. My DD is a Camry Hybrid that "by the book" should be running 32 psi in the tires. The maximum "cold inflation pressure" on the sidewalls is called out at 51 psi. I use a happy medium of 42 psi, have a good turn in response on the tires, have even wear and the tires run 20 degrees cooler than at 32 psi.

Of course it helps when you keep it clean and slick to cut down air resistance with some of the products here at AG
    What's your average MPG on this hybrid?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

Supercharged,

I just bought it at the end of November so I only have 11,000 miles on it so far. Breaking it in and going thru the winter ran around 36 to 38 mpg. For the last 10 tanks or so it has been running 40.5 to 42.5 mpg here in the hills of northwest Georgia. It does help that spring is here and the weather is warmer. All of my mileage is calculated by hand as the MFD usually runs 1.5 to 2 mpg higher.

In case you were wondering, I'm not a tree hugger and the the only green I really care about is in my wallet. People find it kind of funny when they notice that I drive a hybrid and then find out that I am a life member of the NRA, the last time I voted democratic was for Jimmy Carter and that I always thought PETA stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
    Supercharged,

I just bought it at the end of November so I only have 11,000 miles on it so far. Breaking it in and going thru the winter ran around 36 to 38 mpg. For the last 10 tanks or so it has been running 40.5 to 42.5 mpg here in the hills of northwest Georgia. It does help that spring is here and the weather is warmer. All of my mileage is calculated by hand as the MFD usually runs 1.5 to 2 mpg higher.

In case you were wondering, I'm not a tree hugger and the the only green I really care about is in my wallet. People find it kind of funny when they notice that I drive a hybrid and then find out that I am a life member of the NRA, the last time I voted democratic was for Jimmy Carter and that I always thought PETA stood for "People Eating Tasty Animals".
    Dang..I thought I was the only one who said that!!! Sparkie..AFAIK, the nitrogen is strictly to help against air pressure loss/gain due to temperature changes. I have a TPM in my Infiniti and check it once a week. I periodically check that against my gauge and have never found a deviation. I agree with Georgia Hybrid and suggest running a higher pressure than what is listed on the door. Do not go as high as what the sidewall says. From a collision reconstructionist's point of view, too high pressure overinflates the tire and causes it to wear on the middle of the tread and underinflated causes wear to the outside edges...neither is a good thing. Overinflate by about 10-15% and you WILL see an increase in gas mileage. Another thing I STRONLY recommend is running AMSOIL synthetic oil/filter (with added bonus of one oil change per 12 mo's or 25,000 miles) in addition to the AMSOIL EA air filter. Both will dramatically increase your gas mileage and even though it sounds mutually exclusive, will increase your performance too. ( AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases )

Post Thanks / Like

Sparkie,

If you are interested in getting better mileage from any vehicle that you own, you can try the following. They will always work and help whether you drive a hybrid, car or truck.

1) Slow down. This is number one in increasing your mileage. Every 10 mph slower that you drive on the interstate can increase your mileage as much as 10%. Remember that the speed limit posted is the maximum speed, not the minimum.

2) Be gentle on the throttle and brakes. Try to avoid quick starts and stops. Look ahead and anticipate red lights, traffic patterns and give yourself some extra room between you and the car ahead to avoid using your brakes as much as possible.

3) Air up your tires. Do not exceed the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire but you can increase pressure above the carmakers recommendations. You need to understand that they do not know what type or brand of tire you might put on the car and try to compromise between ride quality, handling and tire life when determining the pressure listed.

4) Avoid 10% ethanol gasoline if at all possible. This alone will decrease your mileage between 3 to 10%. It is cheaper for the stations to sell but if you notice, they do not lower the price when they started to pump it. Ethanol is an oxygenated fuel and causes some O2 sensors to tell the computer “you are letting too much oxygen in the exhaust, burn more fuel”.

5) Check your routes that you drive. Avoid one if possible that goes “up and down” a lot. You can sometimes drive a little further but at a constant elevation and burn less fuel.

6) If you have several stops to make, go to the one that is farther away first. This will allow the engine to warm up to optimum temperature and stay there for the duration of total trip.

7) Use the thinnest oil allowed by the car’s manual for your temperature range. If you have a choice between 5W-20 and 0W-20, choose the 0W-20. I will not get into the synthetic or dino debate or the “my oil is better than your oil and my old man can punch the lights out of yours” arguments. I will say keep your car or truck maintained by the schedule provided in your manual (or better than the manual if you are anal about it like I am…)

8) Carpool if possible. Two days a week, I drive just my daughter to her school, the other three; I drive her to school and my wife to work. We went from 3 cars all week to 1 most of the time. That alone helped a LOT.

9)Combine trips if at all possible. Write down what you need and make more stops in one trip or buy from a mega store and get everything at one stop.

Doing all of the above will allow you to have lots of extra money left over at the end of the month. You can then make Meghan VERY happy by ordering more from AG. This will help the American economy and p*ss off some Arabs because they can’t sell us as much oil and support terrorists with OUR money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast