autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: paintless dent removal

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ve never had it done, but from what I’ve heard they charge way too much for what it is…
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha ha, Eldo, you reminded me of an old joke.

Foreman has one of his production machines down, so he calls the repairman. Repairman comes in, looks at the machine, strokes his chin, takes out his hammer, bangs on the side of the machine, and it starts up, everything working as normal. Foreman is ecstatic to have the machine running, repairman hands him a bill for $500. The foreman is outraged, he sputters at the repairman, "would you care to itemize that bill?" Repairman takes it back, writes: Banging on side of machine: $1; Knowing where to bang: $499.

PS I realize that to get that joke you have to imagine an old-time world where there were factories with production machines and foremen, here in the US.
    This reminds me of a long-term customer I had once -

(For added context, this is 2020 during the height of the pandemic, and a normally active old man being forced to stay at home due to lockdowns, so he had a lot more time on his hands.)

This person, one of the richest men in the country, standing outside his brand-new mansion with the hand applied gold leaf on the pillars of the front entrance and ancient Greek goddess statues, told me that I charge him too much...............after working for him and his extended family for near 15 years. (I was not by the way, he got the same price everyone else did, below industry average too.) Well, I explained that you are not just paying for me to cut the grass, but also the horticultural knowledge that I have. His snarky reply was that "it's not rocket science!".

I found that statement hugely offensive, a complete disregard for all I had learned over a 20-year period. Horticulture is not something you learn about overnight, it takes decades to learn, mostly from hands on experience. It's not just digging holes and cutting grass. You basically become a plant doctor, knowing how identify and treat certain pests and diseases, becoming a plant nutritionist, know how plants function/biologist, learn how are where to prune, learning about soil and become a soil chemist, becoming proficient in plumbing and electronic watering systems, be a small engine mechanic to maintain equipment...................................... So, I might be just a dumb gardener, but there is more to it than he was crediting me for.

A few months later, I resigned after reaching the end of my tether. But guess who was ringing me to help diagnose the bug infestation on his rose bushes? Well, apparently, it's not rocket science, so you figure it out!

There are two things I learnt from all this -

1. NEVER question a person's worth, you have no idea what it takes to do one's job and the price asked for it.
    2. NEVER compromise on what you think you are worth, otherwise, what the point?

2. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, bill walsh, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

PDR is a skilled art form i have a local bloke on the North West Coast of Tasmania that does it and makes it look easy why.........?

Experience and a lot of it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tasmania View Post
    Experience and a lot of it!

I agree, but one needs to start somewhere.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I pieced together a kit that uses allot of hot glue and these plastic plungers that hook to the tools to pull the dents out. They all have been fairly good at getting out larger to medium dents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    I agree, but one needs to start somewhere.
    Indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, and I know this goes against what some of you have clearly pointed out… But I simply don’t think a tiny dent or two the size of a 1/4 inch or less is worth paying a couple hundred dollars or more to have removed. Last time I checked I have at least 2 tiny divots on my otherwise perfect trunklid that must’ve been caused by the seeds/pits? That sometimes fall out of the tree on the nearby curb.

I don’t like the fact that they’re there, but at the same time I wouldn’t place having them corrected anywhere near a couple hundred bucks worth. It’s just not worth it to me + I can find much better value for a couple hundred dollars.

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    There are two things I learnt from all this -

1. NEVER question a person's worth, you have no idea what it takes to do one's job and the price asked for it.
    2. NEVER compromise on what you think you are worth, otherwise, what the point?
    As I said in another thread, perspective is important.

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    be a small engine mechanic to maintain equipment
    To your point, we just lost a longtime landscaper (as we now refer to them here in the US) at work who retired, mostly because the repair shop he used closed.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, and I know this goes against what some of you have clearly pointed out… But I simply don’t think a tiny dent or two the size of a 1/4 inch or less is worth paying a couple hundred dollars or more to have removed. Last time I checked I have at least 2 tiny divots on my otherwise perfect trunklid that must’ve been caused by the seeds/pits? That sometimes fall out of the tree on the nearby curb.

I don’t like the fact that they’re there, but at the same time I wouldn’t place having them corrected anywhere near a couple hundred bucks worth. It’s just not worth it to me + I can find much better value for a couple hundred dollars.
    I mean yeah, if you can live with it great but most insurance companies cover thispaintless dent removal

I had this nut fall out a tree in our backyard a couple summers ago that put a good sized dent in the roof of my ES. To make it worse it was near a ridge too!

Once the guy came over he spent over an hour getting it out, the hot glue was eventually what was used to get it out but he had all kinds of crazy tools, very impressive!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes DFB, Karl_in_Chicago, Tasmania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, and I know this goes against what some of you have clearly pointed out… But I simply don’t think a tiny dent or two the size of a 1/4 inch or less is worth paying a couple hundred dollars or more to have removed. Last time I checked I have at least 2 tiny divots on my otherwise perfect trunk.
    That's the price one must pay for perfection. This is coming from someone who is paying *thousands* to get his Cadillac right.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

13. Likes Karl_in_Chicago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Skilled art indeed. Had 2 or 3 small ones fixed on the truck in the past. Like it was never there.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

15. Likes Tasmania liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast