autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protection package

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I work for a Ford dealer, so I see this first-hand every day.
    Do you know anything about the xplan pricing?

My buddys new powerstroke that i coated a few months back, was telling me that he did a xplan price thing. He had to sign up and be a member of the mustang club($35 a year) for a month to get the pricing. Saved him almost 8,000 bucks.

Sounds like it would be worth it. Dont know much more aboit it other than that lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Do you know anything about the xplan pricing?

My buddys new powerstroke that i coated a few months back, was telling me that he did a xplan price thing. He had to sign up and be a member of the mustang club($35 a year) for a month to get the pricing. Saved him almost 8,000 bucks.

Sounds like it would be worth it. Dont know much more aboit it other than that lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I see the "Plans" on the bottom of the order sheets, and I know there are 4-5 different ones. One is Ford employee price. I believe that is the "D" plan.

But that's about all I know. I'll have to get with a salesman and get you the skinny on this, Op-meister.............
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes opie, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where I work the company has a partner code,then I generate a pin to give the dealer.
    Discount depends alot on how much your spending.
    On a 52,850 lincoln we got $2700 off then lincoln has a $500 rebate.
    We get X-Plan
    Ford,lincoln,Chevy,gmc

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I work for a Ford dealer, so I see this first-hand every day.

At our dealership if someone flat out refuses the "Ad-on's", they will relent. No sense in losing an entire deal over some BS. But other dealers in the area will not relent.

Ford's "Protection Package" is called "SurfaceCare", and as you may have guessed, the exterior product is just a crappy paint sealant. The interior product is just like a "Scotch Guard" spray.

All of that said, the SurfaceCare (while a rip-off) is not totally worthless.

A customer recently brought in her new Explorer Limited (with SurfaceCare) and showed the salesman where one of her kids had spilled grape Kool-Aid or the like on the back seat. No way in hell that stain was coming out.

But since she paid for the SurfaceCare, Ford agreed to replace the seat cover and foam. ($880 parts & labor)

I know this one instance does not come close to justifying the cost of these rip-off packages, but I just wanted to share this one fact about the Ford one.

Yeah if it’s from the manufacturer direct might not be bad if you negotiate the price…. Nice to have that coverage.

Also for the average busy/lazy joe, dealer installed protection would make sense if it wasn’t such a rip off.

A lot of dealers will use outside labor and to coat wheels, body and glass will pay a company $500.

That means I’m OP case they are making $1100 on the job. Rip off the customer and the Vendor.

But if the average guy is smart enough to negotiate it down to say $800 might be worth it and can be spun into the payments.

For us we can either afford to have it done or do it ourselves but a lot of folks don’t have that know how/luxury in life…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes PaulMys, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For you guys who have worked in a dealership selling new cars, who prints the big “factory” window sticker with all the MSRP, mileage info, extra goodies, and other nonsense, the dealer, distribution center, the factory, or???

I am just curious at what point do they know what equipment or extras will be included in the final price reflected on that sticker

There are always added fees in Alaska that supposedly reflect the added cost of getting cars up here and they are already shown on that sticker

In my experience coatings and other add ons don’t even figure in to the picture until you sit down with the financial person who takes over from the salesman after you have agreed on a price

Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The big Monroney stickers are printed at the distribution center prior to the car being shipped. It is not printed at the dealer nor is it printed at the factory.

The freight prices charged by the manufacturer have been stabilized and equalized for several years now. A dealership in Alaska is charged the exact same price for freight that a dealer that’s right next to the factory is charged. That was determined in a court case a decade or two ago. Any freight charges that you’re seeing on a sticker up in Alaska over and above what’s on the monroney, is being added by the dealer and is suspect. The charges a dealer puts on a car for surreptitious crap is usually a long thin smaller sticker that is alongside the big Monroney. State law prohibits any dealer from adding charges onto the actual Monroney sticker. It must remain intact when it rolls off the truck and thru the delivery.
    Glen -

11. Thanks chilly, opie thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    The big Monroney stickers are printed at the distribution center prior to the car being shipped. It is not printed at the dealer nor is it printed at the factory.

The freight prices charged by the manufacturer have been stabilized and equalized for several years now. A dealership in Alaska is charged the exact same price for freight that a dealer that’s right next to the factory is charged. That was determined in a court case a decade or two ago. Any freight charges that you’re seeing on a sticker up in Alaska over and above what’s on the monroney, is being added by the dealer and is suspect. The charges a dealer puts on a car for surreptitious crap is usually a long thin smaller sticker that is alongside the big Monroney. State law prohibits any dealer from adding charges onto the actual Monroney sticker. It must remain intact when it rolls off the truck.
    Excellent information, I thank you sir!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123