autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Me?!! An Influencer?!! HAHAHAHAHA

I wasn't going to post about this, because it's kind of embarrassing, but at the same time it's funny and MY WIFE thinks it's hysterical. I belong to a group on Facebook, "Turtle Wax Detailing Community," where obviously, the Hybrid Solutions/Hybrid Solutions Pro Lines are the vast majority of the posts. Well, it all started when I posted pics of my Camaro and the Wife's Escape and mentioned that I had used HS products to get my results. I started getting a lot of 'Likes' on my pictures and people asking: "How" did I get my results?

So, half jokingly, I posted that if anyone was interested in *my* methods for using the TW products, to let me know and I would post them. Well, they didn't think it was a joke and I started getting 'Likes' and requests that I share my process, a LOT of them. So I did it. I made about a half-dozen posts (short articles really), about wheels and tires, how I use TW to clean/protect them, their Ceramic Polish & Wax, To the Max Wax, the Ceramic Spray Coating and Flex Wax and finally tips on how to safely wash & dry a car to minimalize swirling. I didn't go into HOW to wash a car, just tips on how to do it safer. Same with drying - I covered drying aids, flood rinsing to remove the majority of the water on the car so you don't have to wipe the surface so much and lessen the chance of inducing swirls and suggested a purpose-made drying towel like my PFM.

To my surprise, my posts were very well received, generating a lot of likes and follow up questions asking me to further explain WHY I did certain things I did. It was kind of flattering that people were seeming to value my opinion, but still embarrassing.

So there you have it, I guess I'm an 'influencer' now. Go ahead and start the harassment, I'm ready for it. I just figured that the majority of the people on that forum are not "Auto Geek Level" enthusiasts or professionals and just maybe I could help a beginning enthusiast or weekend warrior to better their techniques.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes opie, CleanIT, dgage, PaulMys, dwaleke and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Me?!! An Influencer?!! HAHAHAHAHA

Nice job spreading the wealth of knowledge that we gain by experience of others and ourselves, to others whom are not geek level.

Makes you feel good to know you are helping others that are less informed about what products and techniques are out there that may not be sold on the shelves at big box stores.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HEY!!! THIS GUY KNOWS HOW 2 MAKE CARZ SHINEE!!!

"RU SERIOUS???"

YUPZ!!!!!!

Nice post, Don. You succeeded in leading some FB sheep into (hopefully) caring for something in their otherwise devoid lives. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes Don M, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    HEY!!! THIS GUY KNOWS HOW 2 MAKE CARZ SHINEE!!!

"RU SERIOUS???"

YUPZ!!!!!!

Nice post, Don. You succeeded in leading some FB sheep into (hopefully) caring for something in their otherwise devoid lives. Lol
    Mike Phillips always used to say: "Each one, teach one." So hopefully out of the 3.5K members of the Facebook Page (according to FB), my posts reach a couple of receptive individuals who want to up their game. Maybe, just maybe, some of them will grow and turn into Auto Geeks LOL
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

8. Likes PaulMys, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Goes to show how detailing is still niche in the USA. Nice job.

10. Likes Don M, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it, Don! In all seriousness you've helped a bunch of people. Your info shared is validated when they try it. That cements your credibility and it might grow into super influencer!

All kidding aside i do like it. I love sharing the proper methods and techniques. Some may want the DIY approach and some decide to have someone else do it.

12. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes opie, Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To make things even FUNNIER, I was asked by a SECOND Facebook page owner to post my "How To's" on her new page, one that seems geared toward people who've never really taken care of their car(s) before, but are developing an interest. So I sat down AGAIN and wrote a series of posts, starting with a basic wash and deep cleaning of a previously neglected car, to claying, polishing, waxing and maintaining their "new" finish. And I had to write them geared toward people who have never picked up a bottle of polish or wax before in their life, WITHOUT overwhelming them. Made for an interesting week. LOL
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

14. Likes Big Dave, dgage, SNP209, Paul A., PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep going, Don!

And figure out how to "monetize" it and then do it from Fiji!

16. Likes PaulMys, Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Keep going, Don!

And figure out how to "monetize" it and then do it from Fiji!
    To make things funnier yet, TWO different people, one a coworker and the other, a white collar professional, a psychiatrist of all people, recommended I start a You Tube Channel, get sponsors from the industry and start earning money for passing on my "knowledge and experience." My jaw dropped when the shrink suggested it and when he said that my wife could film me demonstrating the How To's, I almost died laughing and she almost had a stroke LOL.

Although, it does make a person wonder......
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

18. Likes PaulMys, dgage, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be very curious to know what the psychiatrist would think of these forums. I myself have a background in mental health although I don't work in it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1