autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'Tis the Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Tis the Season

Uh-oh...we ended up getting close to 12"!!

2. Likes dgage, Bosko, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko View Post
    Back in the 70's they didn't even talk about snow unless it was over 6 inches....lol
    They also didn't plow snow off very many of the roads (in Indiana). I remember walking to the local grocery store with my Dad in 78 after the blizzard hit. As a 10yr old, that was the greatest moment of my life haha. We were off school a whole week and the snow forts we made lasted about a month. Nowadays, they'll plow your hood when we get 2-3" of snow.

4. Likes Bosko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yeah welcome to another season of people driving like complete idiots....white knucklin the steering wheel driving 10-15 under when there's only a dusting to an inch on the roads. They cause the accidents. They act like they've never seen snow/ ice b4.

This is when my laid back personality is severely tested!'Tis the Season lol
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's right, but the thing you'll find with those people are that they're probably driving around on near bald / super cheap discount tires that don't have any real tread pattern that was designed with snow/ice in mind.
    Heck, we had a '19 X3 that came in with medium tread depth OE all seasons that slid into a curb - tech drove it and sure enough those tires were garbage anywhere off dry pavement.

Next time you're at a store, take a look at what tires and what condition are on the cars in the parking lot. That's what you're on the road with...

I'm with Monica - I'm also not a fan of the "invincible" Outta-my-way-I'm-so-cool-I-can-accelerate-to-100mph-trucks (though having quattro and snow tires I do enjoy blowing their doors off a stop lights...). I have to admit when I was younger, I was that guy in the left unplowed lane going 20+mph faster than traffic (again, quattro+snow tires+many performance driving events, not to mention 2000+ pounds less mass to control compared to the big trucks), but I've grown out of it. Still guilty of taking full advantage of unpopulated industrial complex roads though...

Biggest thing that's helped me is just admitting defeat regarding making record time when being out on the road. "It's *condition xyz* out, it's gonna take as long as it's gonna take.* Then you can just focus on not getting rear ended (again... ) and be way less stressed out.

That's been my secret for tolerating my 75ish mile round trip commute. And podcasts. Listening to lots and lots of podcasts on the drive.

6. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying it's right, but the thing you'll find with those people are that they're probably driving around on near bald / super cheap discount tires.
    Oh your right about the bald tire thing. It seems those folks think its best to wait until the snow flies to get to the tire shop and snag some winter treads. Dumb...lol

And sure i think generally most people...me included were "that kid" driving a little careless, thinkin they're joe cool. Live and ya learn the limits of what ya can/cant do, but do it on back roads so if ya wipe out its only you piling it up...not on the interstate throwin snow/slush and blowin soot outta your 10 inch mitered stack everywhere lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

8. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Oh your right about the bald tire thing. It seems those folks think its best to wait until the snow flies over their hood while they're bombing through the ditch to get to the tire shop and snag some winter treads. Dumb...lol
    Fixed that for ya.

10. Thanks opie thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing these Big Truck Bungholes don't get is that they can't STOP any quicker than anyone else.

Fairly common sense. But then again, look who we're talking about.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a woman at the dealership when I was there on Tuesday. They told her that her tires were at 3/32" and 4/32", which passed inspection. I can understand getting tires somewhere else, which she hopefully did. That's barely ok for rain let alone snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    The thing these Big Truck Bungholes don't get is that they can't STOP any quicker than anyone else.

Fairly common sense. But then again, look who we're talking about.
    When I was 24 I got my first FWD, an 81' Rivera and I couldn't wait for the first snow. I was over confident about it in the snow and yeah it was great, went through it with NO issues, went too good and almost t-boned someone because I couldn't stop too quickly'Tis the Season

Live and learn but it's the same concept with all the 4wd and AWD out there!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I take the Kia after big snows....easier to stop than the big truck

17. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    When I was 24 I got my first FWD, an 81' Rivera and I couldn't wait for the first snow. I was over confident about it in the snow and yeah it was great, went through it with NO issues, went too good and almost t-boned someone because I couldn't stop too quickly'Tis the Season

Live and learn but it's the same concept with all the 4wd and AWD out there!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    You’re 100% right, Rog.

This was our Sales Managers truck this morning after he didn’t use common sense while stopping. He slid through an intersection and T-boned another driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast