autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Home Audio Question

Hey Gang

Looking for some advice for home audio. I have to lead with - I'm not an audiophile, nor am I looking to spend a ton of dough. But, whatever it is that I buy I want to make sure it's not only going to last a short amount of time.

Use case: Our house is set up such that most of the time we just have music playing through our TV speakers (not blaring) which spreads through the main level and into the kitchen/dining area (no walls in between). We've got a 6 year old, and bedrooms are upstairs; whatever audio setup I go with it's not like we'll be cranking it while watching tv/movies at night.

What I have, for what it's worth: I've got a Klipsch 5.1 setup (Quintet II) from about 2005 and a Yamaha Receiver (htr...something. I think 5640?). The whole setup's been in storage for years; just recently pulled the receiver out and with nothing connected it won't turn on - powers off within 5 seconds of turning on.

My 5.1 setup's been in storage because our living room's not conducive to easily setting up all the speakers. Also, that receiver is huuuge.

I'm debating between trying to find a soundbar that fits the budget, or finding a compact amplifier/receiver to be able to reinstate at least a 3.0 or 3.1 setup with my Klipsch speakers. I was really happy with their sound back in the day.
    From the little bit I've read, it seems like a separate speaker 3.1 setup should provide better sound that most sound bars, but I'm wondering how much I need to spend on a receiver to make that happen.

Hopefully this makes sense. Ideally I'd like to be in the $200 range, which probably doesn't line up with my above goal of not buying garbage. I could probably justify $400 to try and get something decent.

Looking forward to hearing more from folks who are better versed in this than me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OT: Home Audio Question

I looked but I really couldn’t find something for you on Best Buy or Crutchfield. I looked at smaller devices, most of them integrated amplifiers but those are pretty much only 2 channels.

And if you want 3 channels (2+center) you are pretty much looking at 5 channels at a minimum. And that means the bigger receivers unfortunately though some start at just a few hundred dollars. But they try to throw in all sorts of features in the receivers including features you may not need.

Devon had a smaller, lifestyle receiver previously but those type of devices are quite a bit more expensive and I don’t think Denon sold enough to keep producing them.

Wish I had better news for you. If I run across anything else, I’ll let you know.

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking into it!

I was wondering if going the 5.1 receiver route and not use the rear channels would open more options. The hardest part is finding a smaller receiver (in the budget) you can trust.

Anyone have any sound bar recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you want 3.1 (left,right,center), you'll need at least a 5.1 receiver to do the Dolby decoding so each speaker knows what to play. They do make rear wireless speakers, as a matter of fact, when I was checking Crutchfield for you, that is one of the options in helping pick a receiver. Regarding picking a receiver, I'd look for one with the most good reviews on Best Buy and Crutchfield. ​

Another option is to get an integrated amplifier (2 channels) and forego the center channel. Depending on the speakers, you can sometimes toe the speakers in to aim towards the center and it will approximate the center, a so-called phantom center. It depends on the speakers as to how well that works. Or just not worry about a center, phantom or otherwise, and just use stereo speakers. In this way, you can drastically simplify your audio setup as you no longer need a decoder, you can just get an amplifier to drive your speakers. You'd essentially use the TV out to plug in to the amplifier, which would then drive your speakers.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations on sound bars.

6. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was really bummed when I found out my receiver wouldn’t power on - I was hoping to refresh my memory of how the speakers sounded, and play with what 3 vs 2 sounded like.
    I’ll have to get the manual out and make sure it’s not as simple as a self preservation thing if it doesn’t see the appropriate resistance on the circuits when it powers up. Could also just be damaged, my old house was suuuper dusty and at the time I never put any thought towards what the inside of the receiver looked like…

Not being an audiophile, my thought of having the 3 channel vs 2 was simply coming from more speakers=more better (and I can see how I could make 3 work in the space allotted); hoping for fuller sound.

I think your post explains some of what I was wondering about what the difference is between a receiver and an amplifier - Sounds like a receiver does some sound doctoring while an amp strictly gets the signal powered up.

Any recommendations on a simple 2 channel amplifier?

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of this not only depends on your usage, but the layout of the room too.

I'll use our house as an example. My main living room and kitchen area is a single wide-open space. As much as I'd like to put a surround system in the area, there is simply no good place to put the rear channels for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Also, we typically use that TV for casual viewing of our TV shows and sports. For this area I use a 2.1 sound bar that is quite good and easily fills the area with sound. For "serious" movie watching I have a 7.1 system in the basement where I was able to properly position the speakers.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how much better a good sound bar is compared to the built in speakers of any TV. The form factor works really well too because you don't have to worry about where/how to place satellite speakers on stands/etc on either side of the TV and most have HDMI or optical inputs which turn on the sound bar when you power up the TV. No need for a tuner.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate - What sound bar are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a 32" Vizio 2.1 sound bar system. The exact model I have is no longer on the market, but they sell a newer version.

It's not all that expensive, yet I've been impressed with the sound quality and the fact the sub and the sound bar communicate wirelessly. For the usage and the room I wasn't after reference-quality sound. I've used it with both a Sharp and Vizio TV and it worked great.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm using a 32" Vizio 2.1 sound bar system. The exact model I have is no longer on the market, but they sell a newer version.

It's not all that expensive, yet I've been impressed with the sound quality and the fact the sub and the sound bar communicate wirelessly. For the usage and the room I wasn't after reference-quality sound. I've used it with both a Sharp and Vizio TV and it worked great.
    I have a similar 1 but TCL to match my TV. I bought it open box for I think $80 bucks. It sounds freaking great for what I need it for.

14. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't discount Sonos. We have them throughout the home and including our 24x18 family room with an 18ft ceiling and it's incredible. The newer ARC soundbar is great for those with lower ceilings that then bounces sound even. I use that set up in our lower-level theater room and it's also incredible.

We run 5.1 in the two family rooms both on the main floor and in the lower level theater room. Great sound quality, super clean attractive appearance and easy control and so easy to set up.

Happy to answer any questions regarding the set up or speakers.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

16. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast