autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Reminder: Mower/small engine winter storage

Hello, AGO!

Well, for us in the Northern 2/3 of the country it's about that time where we have used our riding/push mowers and weed whackers/edgers for last time. Or if not the last time, very soon.

I just want to remind everyone how BAD ethanol gas is for small engines, and to not store your expensive machines with any of that crap in the tanks or carburetors.

Ethanol attacks rubber fuel lines, carb seats, seals, 2-stroke fuel pump diaphragms, and attracts moisture into fuel tanks and carb bowls.

Before storing any of your stuff for the winter, treat any ethanol gas with fuel stabilizer (in fact you should treat it year-round), run the engine for 5-10 minutes, then empty any ethanol gas completely. You can do this by either running it until it runs out of fuel, or using an evac pump. (12v or handheld.) Then if possible, find the drain on the carb bowl, and empty that.

To go even further, (and this is what I do): After evacuating all the treated ethanol fuel, I'll add a non-ethanol fuel such as TruFuel. It is an engineered fuel sold at just about any hardware store. I'll add some of that, then run the machine to get it into the fuel system. (TruFuel is sold in both 4-stroke, and 40:1 or 50:1 2-stroke formulas. So make sure you buy the right one.)

If you follow these suggestions (and any and all instructions in your manuals), your machines will start with ease in the spring.

When you read bad reviews on mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc. 99% of the time it's from some Yahoo that left ethanol gas in his machine for 9 months, it went bad, and now he gets on social media and slams the company he bought it from.

Happy Winterizing!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko, SNP209, Buster906, DFB, Bruno Soares and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reminder: Mower/small engine winter storage

Good advice!

I have a Troy Bilt chipper/shredder that doesn't get used all that often. After it's first use it sat for a year or so before I used it again. It wouldn't start. I had to disassemble and clean the carburetor before it would start. Ever since, I always run it out of fuel and drain the carb float bowl before storage and have not had a problem since.

Another yard tool of mine, a brand new gas trimmer, was toast after a single usage with ethanol laced fuel. The second time I went to use it all of the fuel lines and priming bulb were cracked. I never did fix that one... I went back to my corded electric one.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I double up on the stabil and use it year round. The lawnmower always sees use but when you have a mild winter, you may not use the snowblower much.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I double up on the stabil and use it year round. The lawnmower always sees use but when you have a mild winter, you may not use the snowblower much.
    Even with Stabil, ethanol gas will phase separate in a few months.

It's always best to keep the liquid corn (ethanol) out of the system.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re speaking jibberish to me Paul. In Northern California our winters are very mild. Only time we see snow is when we go to Lake Tahoe to play in it.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder and tips. I always use sta-bil gas treatment and then before storage I run dry and put away. All brands have fired back up without issue.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Done. Mower and trimmer are put away for the year. Both drained of gas. And cleaned before putting away.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For years i have ran E89 (non ethanol) gas in my tractor. And i run VP race fuels mix for my weed eater and leaf blower. I never have to worry about a thing.

Guess im fortunate a small gas station not far from me sells the E89.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I have to mow more or less year round so my mower never really sees a break. I use a battery powered string trimmer for edging so at least I don’t have to worry about that.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

17. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not ever drained any of the small engined yard tools in my life. And they have lasted - the present lawnmower is 13 years old, replacing it's predecessor which went 25. The blower & trimmer (both Stihls) are 20+ years old. Maybe the gas in Michigan is corn free? I always buy the highest octane available for them & always treat with Stabil. Hell even the Snapper snowblower is over 15, though I didn't use it twice last year after starting right up in November. Am I just dumb lucky, or is the evil of ethanol a regional thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast