autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: buy new, used, or lease a car?

Buy used, lease new. I grew up in the car business if you have any questions. One can look at it a number of ways but I tend to look at it based on keeping my money working for me.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I've had brand new, leased, and used vehicles over the years. I prefer brand new vehicles now in my 40's. I never enjoyed leasing a vehicle. Paying a bunch of money just to turn it back in and have zero equity. You can find some great deals on the older used vehicles, but you don't really know the history of the vehicle. How was it maintained over the years?

New - Wait for good rebates and incentive's - Lower interest rates - Shop around other dealers and compete on prices. Get exactly what yo want and it's brand new with warranty.

Lease - You're basically just paying the depreciation value over the next 3 years. No equity - Probably will owe money when turned back in. (Mileage, Tires, Dents, Detail)

Used - Prices are ridiculous right now for used vehicles. I've seen used cars 1-2 years old being listed lately with 20k miles and they're asking more than what the cars value was brand new. Crazy! You don't really know what the previous owner has done to the vehicle. Might have mechanical issues and body damage too.

Post Thanks / Like

Lease one and own one. I think soon we will own both as our yearly mileage dropped off with daughter getting her own vehicle and wife working from home full time. If Ford can get the kinks worked out in a few years i want to buy a Bronco when I turn my Jeep in.

Post Thanks / Like

It always depends. Some cars lease very well because they have low depreciation. Others are terrible to lease because they lose so much value in the first few years. I've done both and currently have one owned outright (that was financed for 3 years) and one leased. I've only had one used car before and that was my first one. I'm not against it but I'd not buy used unless I knew the entire history of the car, probably from knowing it since it was new. Too many people beat on their cars a lot and I'd suffer after that trying to make it perfect again.

If the monthly payment is the same to lease or buy, I'll lease so I don't have to worry about selling the car at the end and dealing with that headache. I couldn't lease the GTI as that would have been way more per month than buying it because it's a car that doesn't lease well, banks know people buy it to have fun and it's more chance it will be wrecked or modified during ownership.

Right now I have no clue what I would do if I sold the GTI because I don't like any cars that I can afford and I can't afford any cars that I like (unless it's used and probably older than mine).
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I never enjoyed leasing a vehicle. Paying a bunch of money just to turn it back in and have zero equity.
    Lease - You're basically just paying the depreciation value over the next 3 years. No equity - Probably will owe money when turned back in. (Mileage, Tires, Dents, Detail)
    High level leasing appears that way. There are however ways to make it work for you so that the above is not true. It just takes discipline and understanding. Happy to walk anyone through it. Done right you will end the lease, likely early, with no fees and you'll have money saved up (equity) after as well.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

IMO buying 2-3 year old cars is probably the sweet spot for most people because it avoids the initial depreciation hit but still allows several years of ownership before major scheduled maintenance or repairs will be needed. I don't care for leases as a long term approach because it basically means perpetually having a monthly payment. Modern cars are reliable and durable enough that I don't see the benefit of never having more than ~36K miles on the odometer. I'd much rather pay for the occasional set of tires or brake job than be stuck in a never ending cycle of new leases and monthly payments.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy new.

Now I only lease.
    I can't do used... I'm just too OCD with imperfections.

With leasing I have a new car every 3 years. I don't drive a lot so low yearly miles is not an issue for me.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I've done all three over the years.

These days, I go lightly used/CPO since many will still carry some factory warranty or a CPO warranty. I wouldn't mind buying new since we tend to hang on to cars for a very long time, but with prices steadily heading up, the cars we want/like are out of budget until they have a 2~4 years of depreciation. I'd rather buy a used car I really like, than buy a new one I find to be just adequate.

I leased once, and while it made a great car affordable, my driving habits and mileage don't make them a very good option. The great lease deals are usually with 10K miles a year, I easily drive 12~15K since we like to road trip in my cars better than our family SUV's and I like to do weekend backroad drives just for fun. Even with a 12K mile/year lease I was sweating every trip and always watching the odometer.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever bought used due to my car wants not lining up with my wallet's can-do.

When we bought my wife's Q5, we got the nicest/lowest mile/newest we could swing/find at the time. It was still under factory warranty, and even though I fix them for a living, we got the factory extended warranty. She's always kept her cars long term, and she loves this one, so I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

Next car I get I'm planning to get the lowest mile/best condition example I can find. Like DetailKitty mentioned, I'm tired of living with other peoples mess-ups. I'd love to lease to just keep rotating a nice new something, but I average about 25k a year so it's out of the picture.

From working on cars for as long as I have, I've got very little interest in buying a higher mileage (80k or higher) anything unless you've got stacks of records. Too many cars are just appliances for folks, and they treat them as such. My friend that works at a dealership sent me a picture of a... no, I'll say he sent me a picture of what used to be an oil filter out of a 3x,000 mile lease return he did an oil change on. The first oil change it had ever had. *insert Mr. Yuck here*. You talk to these folks and they comment on how great the car was because it "Never needed a thing". Nay nay - you never did a thing.

In my experience, your average German car is going to start needing some love around 80-100K, and typically once you get that shored up you're good for another 80-100k if you use quality parts. But if you neglect them early on like that, a new box of potential issues has been opened and the next owner (or the following) is left dealing with them.
    To boost performance and (honestly, I'm sure the main goal of the engineers was: ) efficiency, modern drivetrains are getting more complicated and use lighter weight parts. A little extra preventative maintenance in my experience can go a long way.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting.

For now, my 15yo daily is just about to turn 260,000 miles. I feed it oil changes and brakes, and it just keeps hummin along. I've told my wife - I love my car, but at some point there will be a threshold where it makes sense to invest in resetting the counter with a newer car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    I couldn't lease the GTI as that would have been way more per month than buying it because it's a car that doesn't lease well, banks know people buy it to have fun and it's more chance it will be wrecked or modified during ownership.
    Is that in the current market? The only car I've ever leased was my GTI. I picked up a MK6 in 2013 and leased it for 12K miles/42 months with really competitive rates. When the lease was over it was worth MORE than the residual! Dealer wasn't happy about that when I bought the car at the end of the lease.

Right now I have no clue what I would do if I sold the GTI because I don't like any cars that I can afford and I can't afford any cars that I like (unless it's used and probably older than mine).
    This was the same place I was with my GTI for a while and the reason I bought mine off the lease. I couldn't afford anything I liked better and I was sitting on a "used" car I could buy for less than market value and I knew the entire history of the car...since I'd already been driving it for 3.5 years.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast