autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Design Flaws

Post Thanks / Like

Design Flaws

We all love our vehicles, but there is probably something about them that you find annoying or might even be dangerous. You may have noticed before you bought it, but you wanted it so much that it didn't matter, or you may not have noticed till it was too late. See my examples below.

My FJ has really bad blind spots, but I don't care, the C pillars are massive, but I've learnt to have my mirrors adjusted correctly, and to use them properly. Although the worst is reversing out my driveway, the curve of my road means it's completely obscured by the C pillar, so I generally reverse in.

The one on the Qashqai we didn't notice on the test drive, because who test drives a car at night. So when you drive at night, the instrument cluster reflects in the side window, right where the side mirror is, not good if the vehicle beside you has dim or low set headlights, and you have to put the window down if your reversing into somewhere dark. See image below. Design Flaws-psx_20210727_194757-jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

2. Likes dgage, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Design Flaws

It wasn’t designed with enough cylinders! Jk Camaro notorious for it’s blind spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m pretty happy with my car, and it came equipped with just about everything you could ask for 21yrs. ago including:
    -heated & massaging seats for all 4 passengers
    -rear electric sunshade + sunshades for the rear door windows
    -nighvision camera/HUD
    -rear vanity mirrors
    -woodgrain steering wheel w/button controls for radio/AC/cruise/etc.
    -rear parking sensors
    -memory seat x2
    -electric height adjustment for the seat beats
    -3 lighters & ashtrays
    -easy exit + many other personalization features

The only thing they didn’t order for this car that I wish it had is a sunroof.

Things I’d change:
    -I don’t like how this light is on the door. It would be much better to have light in the footwell.

-It would be nice if these reflectors on the doors were actual lights instead of reflectors.

-electronic trunk pulldown motor, like the old Cadillacs used to have.

-the 25 extra HP. that the Deville DTS came with would be nice too.

Other than that I’m happy as can be with this car. I’ve always wanted this model Cadillac.Design Flaws

6. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one I just thought of on the FJ, the rear door is the swing open kind, rather than swing up, I mainly miss that it doesn't swing up when it's raining. It's also designed for the US market, so the handle is on right hand side, which is our driver's side, but I kinda like that.

I don't wish it had any more power though , it already has enough to chirp the rear tyres if I floor it off the mark in the dry, and it's easy to unsettle it in corners. I have the rear shocks set for comfort rather than handling.

Post Thanks / Like

GM’s “Cylinder Deactivation Technology";
    ie: DoD/AFM; DFM/DSF… (◔_◔)

•Always considering themselves as
    being an ‘innovative’ Corporation…
    -GM spells flaws this way: GreMlins…

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes Bobh59, Jayfro, Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Figure every make & model has it's flaws. Had a 2010 FJ. Liked it. HATED the steering wheel shimmy. At 45-55 you could see the steering wheel shimmy. New tires, road force balance, nothing completely fixed it. They did this brand new. Right off the lot. Some worse than others. TOYOTA never did find a fix. DESIGN FLAW. Even the last year of production. The ultimate trails team had a brand new suspension. Drove a new one. Yep. It had it too.

2 JK JEEP WRANGLERS. 07 & 12. Both had water leaks around the roof and doors that were unfixable. The 12 was brand new. Makes we wonder if the new ones still leak?
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

On my car not much comes to mind, I wish VW had used a clutch that can hold more than stock power so I could add power to this car w/o worrying about getting an aftermarket clutch. And I wish it had power seats with memory as I really hate any time my seat is moved and I have to find my position again. For some reason they chose to do power adjustment for the backrest but manual for sliding the seat. On the Autobahn trim or Golf R it's all powered but still no memory.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m pretty happy with my car, and it came equipped with just about everything you could ask for 21yrs. ago including:
    -heated & massaging seats for all 4 passengers
    -rear electric sunshade + sunshades for the rear door windows
    -nighvision camera/HUD
    -rear vanity mirrors
    -woodgrain steering wheel w/button controls for radio/AC/cruise/etc.
    -rear parking sensors
    -memory seat x2
    -electric height adjustment for the seat beats
    -3 lighters & ashtrays
    -easy exit + many other personalization features
    3 lighters and ashtrays! That's cool and crazy at the same time. One thing about Audi and most German cars, they have small, small cupholders. No Supersize drinks for you! Nice Caddy btw!

13. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    3 lighters and ashtrays! That's cool and crazy at the same time. One thing about Audi and most German cars, they have small, small cupholders. No Supersize drinks for you! Nice Caddy btw!
    Thanks.Design Flaws You could technically have 4 lighters because there’s another outlet under the passenger seat next to the umbrella holder, but there’s no lighter in it because it’s more of hidden power outlet where you can hide a cord to charge your phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Figure every make & model has it's flaws. Had a 2010 FJ. Liked it. HATED the steering wheel shimmy. At 45-55 you could see the steering wheel shimmy. New tires, road force balance, nothing completely fixed it. They did this brand new. Right off the lot. Some worse than others. TOYOTA never did find a fix. DESIGN FLAW. Even the last year of production. The ultimate trails team had a brand new suspension. Drove a new one. Yep. It had it too.

2 JK JEEP WRANGLERS. 07 & 12. Both had water leaks around the roof and doors that were unfixable. The 12 was brand new. Makes we wonder if the new ones still leak?
    My FJ is a 2011, but I have never had the shimmy, except when coming off a muddy trail back onto a sealed road, which goes away as soon as you throw all the mud off the tyres. Always fun looking back and seeing the mess you left behind you.

I didn't have it with the standard wheels and tyres, and tired old saggy suspension, and not with the new raised suspension and wider tyres. Maybe it was a left hand drive issue, something to do with how the steering rack is positioned. On the highway mine drives like a train.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast