autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Design Flaws

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Design Flaws

I've driven cars where instead of the common "stream" style windshield washer spray nozzles, they have 2 or 3 "fan" nozzles. Which is great for even fluid distribution, but when you're driving into the sun it gives you moments where you can't see a dang thing...

Post Thanks / Like

Cayman climate control fan always comes on when ya start the car. Can turn it off once started but will revert to 'on' again at next startup.

I'm sure sure there's some overly engineered Teutonic reason for this but it's irritating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Cayman climate control fan always comes on when ya start the car. Can turn it off once started but will revert to 'on' again at next startup.

I'm sure sure there's some overly engineered Teutonic reason for this but it's irritating.
    Oooh, that one drives me crazy. BMWs do that too. Fixing cars in the age of Covid, I don't want air stirring up in the car if I can avoid it, and it feels like every time I cycle the key it's cranking itself back up. Same for radios - No seriously car: I just want it off!

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Maybe can be changed via OBD II port?

On my car (and all VWs) the car will forget the recirculate option for climate and always revert to open with a new start. Using OBDEleven I changed it to remember my desired setting. Also changed a bunch of other things like duration of rear defroster, how many blinks the turning signal will flash with a tap of the lever, and several other settings that aren’t on a menu but could be changed via the diag port. Many menus in that tool are in German but google/forums are a big help.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

One my old vehicles, the 2003 Holden Crewman Cross 8, was the biggest, heaviest version of range. You could get it as a sedan, wagon, and a 2 door utility (think El Camino). But the Cross 8 was longer, wider, heavier, had permanent all wheel drive, and was powered by an LS1 V8, making it the thirstiest, and they fitted it with the smallest fuel tank of any car in the range. All the others had 20 gallon tanks, but the Cross 8 had only 18, in a vehicle that barely managed 13mpg in the city and maybe 21mpg on the highway. But the fuel gauge never worked properly anyway, I ended up buying an Ultragauge to plug into the OBD II port to keep track of fuel usage. Still, it was fun to drive, and back then it could beat almost any thing else in a stop light drag race in the rain.

I still have the Ultragauge, and it still works. Design Flaws-psx_20210730_195447-jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

DESIGN FLAWS....the entire fleet of 4th gen silverado/serria pickup trucks. So ugly..

Not meaning to offend anyone whom has one...its just my opinion.

This is video is a representation of general motors since coming out with the 4th gen line of trucksTruck slips off boat launch into Lake Springfield: Truck slips off boat launch into Lake Springfield - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest flaw with my car (when I still owned it) was no 2 door option
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ace22 View Post
    One thing about Audi and most German cars, they have small, small cupholders. No Supersize drinks for you! Nice Caddy btw!
    European cars in general since it's illegal and/or highly frowned upon to eat/drink in your car while driving. Many struggle to find a place for cup holders in cars delivered to the North American Market. Also, the Europeans can't even comprehend the bladder-busting sizes of drink cups we get at fast food places and gas stations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    For some reason they chose to do power adjustment for the backrest but manual for sliding the seat. On the Autobahn trim or Golf R it's all powered but still no memory.
    My Mk6 was the same way. Really wish it was the opposite. I loved the rotary knob backrest adjuster in previous gens. You could get the position perfect or make really small adjustments on long trips.

I have a few gripes with my vehicles.

BMW 435 - The A pillar is HUGE! This makes spotting pedestrians at intersections difficult on either side of the car. When I'm driving the twisty back roads or autocrossing I'm always having to look around the driver's side A pillar when entering sharp left corners at speed. The location of the manual shift lever is a problem. The car was designed around the automatic transmission shift lever, so the manual gear lever is too far back. When shifting my elbow is always dragging/bumping against the center arm rest. When I have large cups in the cup holders (see above comment!) you are guaranteed to hit the cup with your hand when going into first or third gear.

Toyota Highlander - The headlights, or more accurately the dim glowing things on the front of the vehicle Toyota says are headlights. The pattern from the projector housings are good, but the bulb/power choice means you get very little light. Even with upgraded bulbs. The seats are also an issue. They are soft and totally flat. The softness leads to back pain after long hours in the seat. The flatness makes you feel like you're going to slide right off if you do anything other than drive in a straight line. Granted I'm used to bolstered sport seats, but these are REALLY flat.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Oooh, that one drives me crazy. BMWs do that too.
    Which Gens of BMW's? When I turn off the climate control, A/C, and then put the fan on the lowest setting (which might as well be off) it stays there through multiple on/off cycles. I'll do this at autocross events because disabling the A/C will give me a the extra .000001 of a second to move me from dead last in class to almost-not dead last in class.

I think the reason behind the fan behaviors is German regulations about how much fresh air must be circulating in the cabin at all times to keep the driver alert.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Which Gens of BMW's? When I turn off the climate control, A/C, and then put the fan on the lowest setting (which might as well be off) it stays there through multiple on/off cycles. I'll do this at autocross events because disabling the A/C will give me a the extra .000001 of a second to move me from dead last in class to almost-not dead last in class.
    Anything "modern" (Post E46/E39), though I honestly haven't dedicated brain power to monitoring which ones actually stay off.

What class do you run in?
    I ran Street Mod back in the day, though not because I built the car for the class specifically. More it was a case where I built my cars how I wanted them, and that was where my modifications fit. Also, I could run either my E30 M3 or E36 M3 if I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think the reason behind the fan behaviors is German regulations about how much fresh air must be circulating in the cabin at all times to keep the driver alert.
    That makes a lot of sense. I'm not just turning the fan/climate control down, I'm trying to have them just stay off. To which they reply: Nein!

Other modern BMW trait that drives me crazy - Whoever designed the washer fluid filler necks must have realllllllly loved those funnel shaped coin things from shopping malls (where you run your quarter down the ramp and it spirals it's way down to the hole in the center). There are cars where the entrance to the reservoir is a 2" deep well that goes to a 90° pipe that leads to the reservoir. Clearly they've not had to fast track adding a gallon of washer fluid when it's 5° outside...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast