autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Road Trip Planned

I'm heading to Mt Rushmore soon. Been planning it for a while now. The rough plan is about 3200 miles in 8-9 days.

Took a lot of time to get the bike cleaned and sealed. The bike looks great, probably won't stay looking great the whole time, but the work I did was in part to make it look good, but also to protect it. I kind of have an addiction now, so I'll probably bring along some MF cloths and some pre-diluted ECH2O tucked in a bag...ya know...just to get my fix in.

My wife is a great travel companion and the time together on long trips like this is always an adventure and a lot of fun.

Here's the rough plan....but we get lost sometimes...on purpose.

Road Trip Planned-danny-jpg

2. Likes Texchappy, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Road Trip Planned

Have a good time!

4. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route. I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

I rode across it (N to S) in 2011. You can look through the grates to the water about 200 feet below... It's a strange experience as your bike will wander on the grates. The right lane is paved, the middle lane is steel grates. If you have any queasy feelings the paved lane can be your friend LOL.

As for Mount Rushmore, it used to be cooler than it is today. In the past, the road went right up to the base of the mountain. Unfortunately, that road no longer exists. It has since been re-routed and in its place they have built a Welcome Center and commercialized the area. Regardless, its still a cool destination, just not as virgin as in the past. I don't think you could get the attached shot today... There's a building in the way.

Have Fun!

Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-017-jpg Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-015-jpg Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-025-jpg Road Trip Planned-dscn0628resized-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

I rode across it (N to S) in 2011. You can look through the grates to the water about 200 feet below... It's a strange experience as your bike will wander on the grates. The right lane is paved, the middle lane is steel grates. If you have any queasy feelings the paved lane can be your friend LOL.

As for Mount Rushmore, it used to be cooler than it is today. In the past, the road went right up to the base of the mountain. Unfortunately, that road no longer exists. It has since been re-routed and in its place they have built a Welcome Center and commercialized the area. Regardless, its still a cool destination, just not as virgin as in the past. I don't think you could get the attached shot today... There's a building in the way.
    Thank you, sir. I've been over the Mighty Mac once on the bike. We did a weekend up from Detroit to the Soo Locks. It was really quite the experience and would recommend it in a car or bike to anyone considering a visit to the area.

I'll try to get the same vantage point and snap a pic when I'm there. We'll compare views.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure to have a pastie when in the UP.
    When in Duluth, get to canal park to see Lake Superior & the lift bridge and go over it to the end of the road.
    Aerostitch riding clothes is headquartered in South Duluth.
    Fargo has the main store of Scheels sporting goods if you need something.
    The Black Hills is all good! Stop at Wall, SD and walk thru Wall Drug.
    The Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE, open in the afternoon, is an eye opener.

8. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Road Trip Planned

Looks like a fantastic trip.

It appears you will be in Cedar Rapids, IA , which is where I live.

A really great stop for a rider, or anyone for that matter, is the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA. Within 30 minutes north of Cedar Rapids. Hundreds of bikes on display.

Post Thanks / Like

That is an epic trip you planned! Looking forward to pics and stories!

Safe travels!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    That is an epic trip you planned! Looking forward to pics and stories!

Safe travels!
    ^^Frank Rizzo up here said it all!^^

Have a great trip, my man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the well wishes. I'll be sure to get some pics.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Road Trip Planned-733c4239-f1c0-4864-8158-6ad10e2eb365-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Looks like a cool trip. I've been to many of the places you are going to traverse and by the looks of your route. I think one of the coolest things you are going to see is the Mackinac Bridge.

Have Fun!

Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-017-jpg Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-015-jpg Road Trip Planned-road-trip-2011-025-jpg Road Trip Planned-dscn0628resized-jpg

16. Likes PaulMys, Texchappy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast