autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: does anyone keep a jump starter in their vehicle(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I always think if I had one, I'll just get out somewhere and need it and it won't be charged up and ready when I go to grab it. How often do you have to check/recharge devices like these? Also, would you have to cycle the battery, meaning run it down and charge it to full?
    They hold a charge for a long time. The one I use can start about 20 cars on a full charge.

2. Thanks Azure thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    1st off - Oh man, that's a lotta big heavy parts... (my day job = regular car repair)

2nd - You use the NOCO jump boxes? That's quite the accreditation. I'll have to keep them in mind if I get another one in the future.
    Yeap. I actually work for Penske and that’s how I came across this brand. I previously had a different brand that I purchased from my MAC distributor and it gave up on me less than a year into owning it. I now have 3 of these!

4. Thanks oneheadlite, MisterSnoop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

GREAT idea, Visitor! Thanks for sharing it.

My wife's car always has jumper cables in the trunk but the independence of not needing a good samaritin nearby is even better.

Plus, the infrequent but occassional customer vehicles that die because i left the doors open doing interiors...

Again, great idea and fairly economical too.

6. Thanks VISITOR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I always think if I had one, I'll just get out somewhere and need it and it won't be charged up and ready when I go to grab it. How often do you have to check/recharge devices like these? Also, would you have to cycle the battery, meaning run it down and charge it to full?
    Since it's a lithium battery, you don't need to worry about cycling it. I bring her jump pack in and charge it each fall. It will have lost a very small amount of charge from just sitting (1 out of 5 bars). Thankfully/unfortunately I can't vouch for how well it works because I haven't actually had to use it to jump anything yet.

8. Thanks Azure thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Since it's a lithium battery, you don't need to worry about cycling it. I bring her jump pack in and charge it each fall. It will have lost a very small amount of charge from just sitting (1 out of 5 bars). Thankfully/unfortunately I can't vouch for how well it works because I haven't actually had to use it to jump anything yet.
    i was at home once, and my bike needed to be jumped....rather than put it on the tender, I used this as an opportunity just to get the hang of it, and to make sure I could do it if needed....turns out, I didn't have the tool on my bike to access the battery, so I'm glad I learned that....mine hasn't been charged in a year, I'll throw a charge on it before I leave for ND next week....the most use I've gotten from it has been charging my phone

10. Likes oneheadlite, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    i was at home once, and my bike needed to be jumped....rather than put it on the tender, I used this as an opportunity just to get the hang of it, and to make sure I could do it if needed....turns out, I didn't have the tool on my bike to access the battery, so I'm glad I learned that....mine hasn't been charged in a year, I'll throw a charge on it before I leave for ND next week....the most use I've gotten from it has been charging my phone
    Really great point. I've been meaning to add a "little" ground jumper to make it easier for the Mrs if she needed to actually use it for her car.

12. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

great deal (was close to getting this one) on this one right now (DBPOWER 2000amps) at $79.99 PLUS an extra $15.00 off. total = $64.99+ tax. on the big A...

this has an LED screen connected to the jumper cables, you can connect it to your battery and it will tell how much voltage it's pushing before plugging it into the jump starter.. comes with a case and has a 3 year warranty...

14. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always carried cables in my truck, but this would be a good idea to have as well.

You're pretty smart (sometimes), Allen!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i fully charged mine right out of the box since it comes partially charged. i wrote the date (i charged it on) on a post it note and put it inside the manual/booklet so i can get an idea how long it can go without immediate use (will check it again in a month anyway). lithium ion batteries last a long time and can go months without charging. i have an electric skateboard that has lithium ion batteries (way more than a jump starter has) and it stayed charged for close to 3 months without using it in the winter. as far as electric skateboards go, the top batteries used are by samsung, panasonic, and sanyo. it's a good idea to keep it above 70% charged at all times, and i'm sure that's with any rechargeable device...

18. Thanks Azure thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I've always carried cables in my truck
    i always use too as well (may keep them in the trunk still). but now that i think about it, your charge from someone else's vehicle will depend on their battery, and if their battery is weak you most likely aren't going to get a jump. at least with these jump starters it's consistent as long as you keep it charged. plus, who wants cables dragging on top of the front end on your car and potentially causing some marring/scratches/dings..

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast