autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a sweet Stressless recliner with some miles on her. How do I take care of Aniline Leather?

Hi Guys,

So I picked up a sweet Stressless recliner via craigslist for a good price. It has some age on it, but it looks really good with the 'age' haha if that makes sense.

So I am pretty sure it's aniline leather, because water gets absorbed in the leather. So there doesn't appear to be a clear coat on it (is that what they call it?).

How do I take care of this? I have some leather cleaner and conditioner (chemical guys stuff), but I am pretty sure the cleaner at least is just diluted APC which I am pretty sure would be too harsh for this gentle recliner.

It's not dirty, but I just wnat to make sure I clean the oils or any stuff from the past owner before I make it really mine, and then condition it to keep the leather supple and hydrated.

Any tips, or product recommendations?

Mike Phillips

Re: Just picked up a sweet Stressless recliner with some miles on her. How do I take care of Aniline Leather?

Here's the "Contact Us" page for their website, maybe contact them and get their OFFICIAL recommendation for their product and then share it here.

https://www.stressless.com/en/contact

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just picked up a sweet Stressless recliner with some miles on her. How do I take care of Aniline Leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the "Contact Us" page for their website, maybe contact them and get their OFFICIAL recommendation for their product and then share it here.

https://www.stressless.com/en/contact

Thanks, Mike.

Yea--I saw they sell their own cleaning products, but being a cheap skate wanted to see if I could get away with just using the stuff I have on hand haha.

Also was curious to learn more from ya'll on here about Aniline leather and if anyone had tips or tricks for care.

Post Thanks / Like

My Audi has semi-Aniline Leather seats. A bead of water will sit on top for a limited amount of time before it soaks in. I've been using Zymol Leather cleaner. It cleans but also contains Lanolin so it makes the seats soft and supple. There aren't many products out there for uncoated or semi-coated automotive leather other than Colourlock which is really expensive. The Zymol I use doesn't soak in and make the leather blotchy like the basic leather cleaners sold for coated leather automotive seats. AG used to sell the Zymol but discontinued it. So to answer your question, nothing you have laying around the house is going to work well.

Amazon.com

The only American vehicle that I'm aware of that uses Aniline leather would be the Ford King Ranch.

5. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Likes Matador liked this post
    Mike Phillips

My wife uses the entire collection of PBL products on the leather seats in our cars. She really like them.

The copy for the PBL Leather Cleaner states it's safe for the leather in Ford King Ranch trucks.

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner, king ranch leather cleaner

Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is safe and effective on protected, coated, and semi-aniline leather. Thanks to its natural formula that is comprised of water-based surfactants, Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner will not cause delicate stitching to dry out or deteriorate.

Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is also safe on late model Ford trucks with King Ranch leather!

And the conditioner states this also,

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Conditioner, king ranch leather conditioner

Safe to use on KING RANCH style leather

Here’s another leather maintenance tip: don’t forget the stitching! Inexpensive, petroleum-based leather conditioners make it clear to AVOID the stitching while applying their product. That’s not the case with Black Label Leather Conditioner. We had this leather conditioner formulated so it actually protects the stitching; it will not cause it to dry out or deteriorate. This thick crème provides the best protection possible in a leather conditioner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me? I've never used either of these products on this type of leather that I can remember. I believe Nick Rutter did all the preliminary testing on these two products back when he was still at Autogeek and Nick's a sharp guy when it comes to this type of stuff.

7. Thanks Matador, dennis b thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO:
    Aniline Leather care, whether for indoor
    furniture or vehicles’ cabin appointments,
    means to “Clean & Protect”. As such,
    I’ll suggest the following products:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Leather Master is all I use.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Thanks Matador thanked for this post
    Likes FUNX650 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    Aniline Leather care, whether for indoor
    furniture or vehicles’ cabin appointments,
    means to “Clean & Protect”. As such,
    I’ll suggest the following products:

Bob
    Thanks, Bob!

Did some researching, and it seems Stressless even reccomends Leather masters for their recliners!

Winner!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Thanks, Bob!

Did some researching, and it seems
    Stressless even reccomends Leather
    masters for their recliners!

Winner!

Thanks everyone for your input.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

We own several pieces of leather furniture by American Leather and they recommend the use of Guardsman leather care products. It's the only thing I will use on this furniture and I have been very pleased with the results.

Leather Care and Protection Products - Guardsdman

You definitely want to use the individual cleaner and protectant products - Guardsman now makes an AIO product but it is not of the same quality as the individual products.

15. Thanks Matador thanked for this post