autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"When Mike Phillips Talks, People Listen" ...

"When Mike Phillips Talks, People Listen" ...

Apparently Mike has channeled the legendary E.F. Hutton and become a real OG "influencer".

Remember back in the early days of the pandemic when Mike posted about glove usage, incl. at gas station pumps ?

Well, somebody musta been listening ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "When Mike Phillips Talks, People Listen" ...

That's awesome! Love the EF Hutton reference! All pumps should have this!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I never got onboard with the glove thing. In fact, I remember when Mike started that thread I responded that this was one of the very few times that I ever disagreed with his perspective.

I'm as far from a germaphobe as anyone could be. Right or wrong, my philosophy is that exposure to everyday and commonplace germs is good for strengthening your immune system.

4. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Jayfro, opie, Misterpaul, dwaleke and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I never got onboard with the glove thing. In fact, I remember when Mike started that thread I responded that this was one of the very few times that I ever disagreed with his perspective.

I'm as far from a germaphobe as anyone could be. Right or wrong, my philosophy is that exposure to everyday and commonplace germs is good for strengthening your immune system.
    Sounds like the George Carlin bit from "We're all diseased". He was like Nostradamus there but FUNNY!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

Apparently Mike has channeled the legendary E.F. Hutton and become a real OG "influencer".

Remember back in the early days of the pandemic when Mike posted about glove usage, incl. at gas station pumps ?

Well, somebody musta been listening ...

Wow!

That's both interesting and at least for me, an eye-opener.

Thanks for sharing.

:dblthumbs2:

Mike Phillips

By the way, here's my original article. The time stamp for when I posted it is,

January 28th, 2020, 10:55 PM

This was a Wednesday night, the night before I left for Mobile Tech Expo in Orlando. I teach 8+ classes every year at MTE and meet a lot of people and shake a lot of hands. This event was also a week or so before my first big 3-day class followed by my big 2-day boat detailing class, neither of which I can call in sick. And these take a LOT of energy.

I've been using nitrile gloves for years, actually when we started our 2nd TV show. When you have so much time, money, planning, work and resources invested in a TV show and you're traveling, (not just me but camera crew, guest detailers, management, etc.), you cannot afford to arrive to the film destination only to become sick. Filming takes a lot of energy and it shows on camera if you don't have it.

Anyway, here's the original article. I also shared this on DetailingWorld.co.uk, my FB and IG pages, etc. And... we're still not past this plague.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Begin Article ~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to avoid germs - Gas Station

I hate getting sick. Most of you feel the same way. I especially hate getting sick when I’m responsible for teaching classes that have paying customers and have also been scheduled far in advance.

Besides not wanting to let anyone down, it’s simply no fun to put on a high-energy class without the energy.

So I’ve learned to be a germaphobic. Especially when traveling due to the volume of people you will come into contact with. Besides the people you will come into contact with there all the people you will not come into contact with BUT you will come into contact with the things these people will have touched.

Here’s where I start when I'm traveling.

Getting gas for my car

Instead of throwing caution to the wind, here’s a simple way to avoid all the germs at the Gas Pump. Keep disposable nitrile gloves in your car.

Then do this, put one glove on the hand you will use. Only use this hand to touch everything.

The numbers on the keypad

The selector button

The gas nozzle handle and squeeze trigger

Fill your gas tank - PROTECTED

And think about this, if you fill all the way to full, you'll make less visits to the gas station and thus reduce the number of times you touch anything at the gas station.

Use your clean hand to pull the glove off by the tip of the cuff where there was no surface contact with anything and dispose of at the gas station.

Think about it...

If you don’t wear disposable gloves - you touch all the components at the gas pump to fuel up your car.

Next you get back into your car and grab and hold the steering wheel. The steering wheel becomes a Petri dish where the warmth and moisture from your skin will now create a perfect environment for germs to grow. Maybe your driving for a few minutes, maybe hours. Maybe after you are done driving - now your getting on a Jet. An enclosed environment.

How many people “touch” the surfaces on a gas pump?

I normally wouldn’t share this type of how-to info but in light of the Coronavirus in the news - it’s timely.

Disposable Nitrile Gloves

The thin disposable black nitrile gloves are inexpensive in context of your health and the health of all those around you. I don’t care where you buy your gloves but if your already placing an order for some car wax - add a box of these to your order and be pro-active about prevention. Autogeek also carries ORANGE heavy-duty nitrile gloves.

Here's the difference between the black and the orange gloves.

The black nitrile gloves are thinner and cost less. They also rip easier due to being thin.

Disposable Black Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

The orange nitrile gloves are much thicker and more stout than the black nitrile gloves and also cost a tick more,

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Sizes: Medium - Large - X Large - XX Large

Price differences

Box of 100 black nitrile gloves = $16.00 = 17 cents per glove or 34 cents for a pair to wear.

Box of 100 orange nitrile gloves = $18.99 - 19 cents per glove or 38 cents for a pair to wear.

(in most cases you wear a pair of gloves, not just one glove)

There's a time and place for both types. I tend to prefer the orange gloves when doing any substantial work as they are much more heavy duty and also have dimples on them which increases your grip strength.

I prefer the black gloves when shooting video or taking pictures as the orange tends to blow-out the exposure making them look like they glow, which then takes away your focus from what you're trying to showcase.

Stay safe my friends...

~~~~~~~~~~~~ End of Article ~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to get gas this morning, box of gloves still in the back seat...

Gas has gone up a little since my original article...

And so far... I haven't caught anything....

8. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be a LOT of gloves going into landfills and/or ending up in our oceans.

Perhaps just use a biodegradable disinfecting wipe on those gloves and reuse them. Or better yet just use your bare hands and then use some hand sanitizer afterward to kill any germs you may have picked up.

10. Likes DUBL0WS6, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I literally just got back in my car. I use hand sanitizer. Easier, cheaper, better on the environment.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

12. Likes dwaleke, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The CDC now states that transmission of Covid 19 from hard surfaces is low risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I lierally just got back in my car. I use hand sanitizer. Easier, cheaper, better on the environment.
    Exactly what I do.

Working for a dealer, I go to the gas station at least 20 times a week for delivery fill-ups and to keep gas in the lot stock.

Gloves are huge PITA in my opinion.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

15. Likes Farmallluvr, DETAILROOKIE liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast