autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone's car in pristine condition?

Like most here, I'm a hobbyist detailer. I keep my car as clean as reasonably possible and even carrY a portable car vac in my trunk when I go away on trips with friends. Coatings done for paint protection. PPF on entire front on vehicle.
    When I take my car to work in NYC, I almost never park on the street and schmooze the guys in the parking garage to give my car some extra care. Park way to the back of the parking lots when shopping.

So when giving my (only 4 month old) car a wipe down after a wash yesterday, I noticed two small pings (one pic shown) in the rear bumper!!! I know, I know it's inevitable, but sometimes make me question, why I'm spending all this time (well I do enjoy it) trying to keep the car in as pristine condition as possible when if my car is out of the driveway, its condition is up for grabs. I mean, I ain't losing sleep over it, but annoying nonetheless. I guess I may just add a small trailer hitch to protect the back bumper, but sometimes I'm reminded of what my friend's mother mentioned to him many years ago - "the car belongs to the street."

Is anyone's car in pristine condition?-thumbnail_img_7013-2-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone's car in pristine condition?

Yeah, if it is your daily driver, you are gonna get some "pings". As careful as I am, I have found 2 "door dings" since I have owned my truck from careless morons that don't have any respect. (Thank God for PDR guys!)

Unless you have a garage queen that only goes on short trips on the best of days, in is inevitable.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Yeah, if it is your daily driver, you are gonna get some "pings". As careful as I am, I have found 2 "door dings" since I have owned my truck from careless morons that don't have any respect. (Thank God for PDR guys!)

Unless you have a garage queen that only goes on short trips on the best of days, in is inevitable.
    Yes and no on the daily driver. I usually take mass transit to work, so it really isn't a daily driver. But it sure isn't a garage queen either. I would almost consider one of the rear bumper protectors like this one:
    Parking Armor - Rear Bumper Guards, Car Bumper Guards but it's probably inconvenient to use and probably gonna end up scratching the bumper or at least inducing tons of swirls.

Actually on second thought, it just may be inevitable. I spent over 2k to have PPF applied to the whole front end of my car, only to have a stone hit the door with the ensuing dent.
    But I may consider that bumper hitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Yes and no on the daily driver. I usually take mass transit to work, so it really isn't a daily driver. But it sure isn't a garage queen either. I would almost consider one of the rear bumper protectors like this one:
    Parking Armor - Rear Bumper Guards, Car Bumper Guards but it's probably inconvenient to use and probably gonna end up scratching the bumper or at least inducing tons of swirls.

Actually on second thought, it just may be inevitable. I spent over 2k to have PPF applied to the whole front end of my car, only to have a stone hit the door with the ensuing dent.
    But I may consider that bumper hitch.
    If you drive into the City, and use the parking garages, every day you drive it counts as 6. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes bob m, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Park way to the back of the parking lots when shopping.
    I did that weekend before last. Went into a store and a thunderstorm started when I was inside. I came out to a cart next to my car and this. Estimate was $900. If I had parked in between other cars, it probably would have been fine.

Post Thanks / Like

MisterSnoop..... That's a shame!

I had the same thing happen to a rental car. I took a piece of baseboard off the hotel floor to use as a prybar. I pulled the door panel loose and massaged it to where I passed "check-in".

8. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

bob m,

I still remember my first new car. I was a territory salesman driving in a multistate territory. I still remember the chips and how they hurt as much as they do today 35 yrs later.

I "try" to cover up my road "rash" with the shinniest paint and cleanest wheel/tires on the block. My daily driver has 250,000 miles on it and is cleaner then the new cars on the lot (the service techs tell me).
    I get the most satisfaction when friends are visiting and comment when riding how clean my minivan is and did I get a new one? "Nope, same old junker, has 250K on it now" is my reply

10. Likes PaulMys, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•I realize there may be different interpretations
    for the definitive definition of ”pristine”;

-But, IMO:
    If a person would actually take the time to look
    close enough, they’d discover that not even brand
    new vehicles, straight from the factory, are ever in
    what I consider to be “pristine” condition.

At least I’ve never come across any.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes bob m, LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do my best to keep my vehicles pretty squared away. I also try to strategically park and take the "best" roads when possible. Cars are always vulnerable but to me it's worth keeping them tidy because I am rewarded everyday I get in and drive. And if I can't rub out a scratch or pdr a ding well then they will be waxed the same as the rest of the car. The old adage applies here "don't worry about what you can't control"
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

14. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •I realize there may be different interpretations
    for the definitive definition of ”pristine”;

-But, IMO:
    If a person would actually take the time to look
    close enough, they’d discover that not even brand
    new vehicles, straight from the factory, are ever in
    what I consider to be “pristine” condition.

At least I’ve never come across any.

Bob
    100% agreed!

Too many human hands touching it, a lot of time spent in open air. I would bet some hyper expensive luxury/exotics leave the factory pristine. Even those eventually make into the hands of at least one person who is flippant about paint/vehicle car.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast