autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone's car in pristine condition?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I did that weekend before last. Went into a store and a thunderstorm started when I was inside. I came out to a cart next to my car and this. Estimate was $900. If I had parked in between other cars, it probably would have been fine.
    Ouch, sorry to hear; that really stinks. I guess that's too deep for one of those "Dent Doctors." But this brings up another pet peeve I have and that is that most people are too damn lazy, oblivious and inconsiderate to bring the shopping carts back to where they belong, leaving them strewn around the lot. So someone's laziness just cost you $900.00, plus the time and aggravation to get it repaired.

2. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I park so far away that I have to leave the cart out but I always leave it on a parking lot island so it doesn’t roll into traffic or a car.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I do my best to keep it pristine. After my detail this weekend, a neighbor came by to check out the underwasher. He made the comment the truck looks better than new. In reality they don't stay new long. If it's a DD it's going to be exposed to every element and hazard know to man. The best you can do is keep it the best you can. It's going to pick up goobers, nicks, flaws etc. Your fighting a losing battle. I was pleased not to find more damage after that PA winter. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

The only way i know to keep it pristine is buy it new, park it in a garage, and NEVER drive it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

5. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or put very little mileage on it. I won’t comment about the mileage on mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Ouch, sorry to hear; that really stinks. I guess that's too deep for one of those "Dent Doctors." But this brings up another pet peeve I have and that is that most people are too damn lazy, oblivious and inconsiderate to bring the shopping carts back to where they belong, leaving them strewn around the lot. So someone's laziness just cost you $900.00, plus the time and aggravation to get it repaired.
    Yeah, huge pet peeve of mine as well. Strangely enough, the cart was from a grocery store 1/4 mi away from where I was parked. The lower dent definitely needs to be repainted so I went thru insurance. I'm out the $500 deductible, which still sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    The only way i know to keep it pristine is buy it new, park it in a garage, and NEVER drive it.
    Agree, but then is it really a car or just a piece or art. If I have a fun car, I'm going to drive it because it's fun. That's the whole reason it was built. If I have a more utilitarian car, like the family hauler, I'm going to drive the wheels off it in order to meet my needs. I'm a firm believer in having a vehicle and actually using it/driving it.

I believe the simple act of driving and enjoying a vehicle means you'll subject it to the environment and damage might occur. That's OK. Fix the best you can, and keep driving.

Like most here, I'll keep mine in the best shape I can. However, I'll fully admit there are times it isn't perfect...like right now. Between spring rains, pollen, a brutal work load, and family responsibilities, my car is pretty dirty inside and out. I think I have some snow removal swirls I'll need to polish out too. It happens and that's life. In a week or two I'll give it a little TLC and everything will be fine again.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Thanks Bill D thanked for this post
    Likes PA DETAILER, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw a nice "Vette and Mustang parked real far away on Sunday. I gave them the thumbs up but I don't think they were Autogeeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •I realize there may be different interpretations
    for the definitive definition of ”pristine”;

-But, IMO:
    If a person would actually take the time to look
    close enough, they’d discover that not even brand
    new vehicles, straight from the factory, are ever in
    what I consider to be “pristine” condition.

At least I’ve never come across any.

Bob
    Bob,

I wasn't referring to pristine in the true, literal meaning of the word, but the term was used to denote that the paint was free of scratches not easily removed and pings and dings. It is simply an inevitable fact of owning a car that these will appear in time. I guess I was a might miffed as the car is only 4 months old with only 1700 miles driven.

Post Thanks / Like

It's true that ( sad to some) my cars seem to get waxed a lot more than they're driven but that's just how I am. I work from home and only drive to run errands so very little mileage. I'm even delaying new tires til next year during the dry season of course.

I do religiously maintain my parents' cars which get driven normally. They are in rather nice condition.

13. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    I do my best to keep it pristine. After my detail this weekend, a neighbor came by to check out the underwasher. He made the comment the truck looks better than new. In reality they don't stay new long. If it's a DD it's going to be exposed to every element and hazard know to man. The best you can do is keep it the best you can. It's going to pick up goobers, nicks, flaws etc. Your fighting a losing battle. I was pleased not to find more damage after that PA winter. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

I hear you on all that and I am in agreement. If you drive your car, you should expect it. But I wanna be the one doing the "damage" as I did a few years back on my new 2017 Allroad when I dragged my plastic garbage can a little too closely and put a noticeable scratch on the door.

It the ones due to other drivers' fault that is more aggravating. Like the time when my dopey "landscaper" was doing fall cleanup with a gas powered leaf blower when I wasn't home and between the loose sand, twigs and pebbles did enough damage that the whole side of the car had to be repainted and when I went to trade in that car I lost about 2K of value due to the "repair." Or about 5 years ago, awaiting an entrance onto the parkway was rear ended by a young lady obviously not paying attention. And last but not least in my 1 month old 2017 A4, on a beautiful Sunday morning, sitting at a light, not another car in sight and I get rear ended once again but a very totally distracted woman.
    Damn, all these happened on my Audis - 2 Q5's and an Allroad!

Again, no sleep lost but as I told that lady who banged my Allroad, "I guess you can't have anything nice anymore."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast